Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Gem, an Autobot befriends Misfire and Misfire learns an important lesson

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~~

NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF WHAT YOU AIM FOR

 

Gem, a small Autobot sat in a secret spot of his, a grassland, surrounded by trees, with a rocky lake. The Autobot often came here, loving the calming effect it had, especially after an argument or a battle. He hated warfare and destruction more than anything.

Quite often he wanted to be alone and he loved to swim in the cool waters of the lake, especially at night. Gem often spent the night here, alone.

Gem loved animals. Often animals came to him because they had learned to trust him, birds, rabbits, deer, foxes, etc and he gently stroked them. Birds perched on his shoulders and hands, even the butterflies seems to know he would not harm the,

On this particular day, some Decepticon jets were flying high above and saw Gem down below.

"I can't believe our luck!" exclaimed Ramjet. "Megatron wanted us to sneak into Autobot headquarters and capture an Autobot and look - there's one right down there, no hassles!"

Ramjet and Dirge looked at Gem kneeling by the lake.

"We'll have to jam his communication systems" Thrust said quickly. "So he can't radio his friends for help."

"Leave that to me" and Ramjet fired an invisible communication jammer beam at Gem

The birds flew off his shoulders and the animals hastily departed.

"Hey, what gives?" Gem asked, knowing that animals could sometimes sense things. Perhaps it's an earthquake or something, he thought, puzzled, because this area wasn't prone to destructive natural phenomenon.

"Okay, Dirge ... Now!!"

Gem spun around and he gasped. Dirge blasted him.

"Good" said Ramjet. "Now we'll take 'im back to Megatron."

Dirge picked Gem up, transformed threw the unconscious Autobot into his cockpit and the jets began to fly back to Decepticon headquarters.

* * *

"Has anyone seen Gem?" inquired Optimus Prime.

"Maybe he's in that little spot of his," Blaster suggested.

"Scan the area," Optimus said to Teletraan I.

"Gem not located in specified area."

"He ain't there," said Jazz. "Maybe he's just explorin' somewhere."

* * *

Gem was slowly beginning to regain consciousness inside Dirge.

"Where ...am I ...?"

"He's awake" said Dirge the other two jets.

"Let me out of here ... "

Dirge laughed and the three jets continued on to Decepticon headquarters. Dirge dropped Gem in front of Megatron. Gem hid his fear, stood up and looked at Megatron. He was quite very small compared to the Decepticon leader. "You will remain our prisoner until all the Autobots have surrendered to us."

Gem kept silent. Dirge shoved him into a prison cell and locked the door.

"Are we gonna destroy him?"

"First we'll get the Autobots to surrender then we'll destroy them all - including Gem ... " Megatron sneered.

Dirge smiled and walked off with Megatron.

Inside the cell, Gem had heard every word. He knew fear would serve him no purpose here, but he couldn't help feeling afraid, for himself and his friends.

Days went by. The Decepticons hadn't fed Gem, and as a result he felt very weak. Megatron entered the cell.

He had no desire to relieve Gem, but had to keep the Autobot in good shape if the Autobots were going to surrender.

He handed his enemy a small Energon cube.

"Thank you ..." said Gem weakly as he drank it.

"I did not give that to you out of pity, Autobot" Megatron snapped.

* * *

At Autobot headquarters, they were getting worried about Gem.

"Where is he? I haven't seen him for days ..." said Red Alert, concerned.

"Ah ... I don't think anything's happened to him. Remember a few years ago he went off by himself and we got all worried and he came back in about three weeks and said he'd been exploring the Antarctic?"

Red Alert nodded, still concerned.

* * *

Gem was frightened and he missed his friends, and knew what would happen to them if they tried to rescued him.

Misfire, a Decepticon, was walking past the cells. He heard Gem crying softly and felt sorry for Gem and wanted to help him, but knew he would be destroyed if he so much as mentioned his concern to the other Decepticons. Misfire entered Gem's cell.

"What d' you want? ..."

Misfire handed him an Energon cube.

"Thank you." Gem slowly drank the cube, noticing how Misfire did not seem as harsh as Megatron and the other Decepticons.

"I won't hurt you" Misfire said gently. "Unlike most Decepticons - I'm not a fighter. I couldn't shoot a target ten centimetres away - and I hate fighting anyway."

Gem smiled.

"Gotta go. Please don't mention my visit to anyone."

Gem nodded. "I promise."

During the next few days, Misfire was bringing Energon cubes to Gem and the Autobot didn't feel as frightened or lonely anymore.

Megatron saw Misfire giving an Energon cube to Gem and came to him. "Why did you give that Autobot energy?"

"If we don't keep him in good shape ... The Autobots won't surrender ... They won't surrender to save a dead 'Bot now would they?"

Megatron nodded. "All right, but if there's anything else going on between you and that Autobot I won't be pleased."

"I'm a Decepticon, Megatron. I wouldn't be here or be wearing this insignia if I cared about the little twerp." And with that Misfire left, sighing inwardly that Megatron had bought every word. He felt he had to help Gem escape. The Autobots would certainly surrender to help their valued friend and they'd kill Gem too. Misfire hated the war - it served no purpose but death and destruction. Would it ever end?

Misfire sat on the ledge in his quarters, wondering.

Gem was the closest person he had to a friend. even if he only met him a few days ago. To everyone else Misfire was a failure. He flunked The Decepticon Military Academy 4627 times and had only 'graduated' because the Autobots blew the place to kingdom come. Megatron only tolerated him, because he'd hit Autobots he didn't aim for and send everyone scattering. And he knew he was the only one who could help Gem. His chance to prove he wasn't a failure, but who could he prove it to? The other Decepticons would kill him for being a traitor.

Megatron stood in the main control room, planning soon to alert the Autobots of Gem's prisoner status.

During the next few days, Misfire was really kind to Gem. Gem decided he liked the Decepticon a lot and really trusted him. Misfire saw Gem as a younger brother, as well as a friend. Gem asked Misfire to be his best friend. Misfire was flattered that anyone would think of him in that way and gladly accepted and he felt it was his duty to help his friend. He began to lead Gem out of the cell to help him escape. Megatron saw them.

"Misfire, what are you doing!?"

"He tried to escape, Megatron, and I recaptured him ..."

"Good. Put him back in the cell."

Misfire did so, quite relieved, but angry that his plan had been foiled. He winked at Gem and locked the door.

Misfire felt he had to save him and he wanted to more than anything in the universe.

Megatron kept talking of his plans to destroy the Autobots. Misfire was bored. How many times would Megatron rave on about it? All he wanted to do was help Gem, his friend escape, and he was worried how he was going to do it.

* * *

At Autobot headquarters the Autobots were getting more and more worried about Gem. They knew he liked to go on long journeys and loved to be alone sometimes, but felt something bad had happened to him. Some Autobots set out on search missions to try to contact and find him. They searched for days - and nothing.

"We looked everywhere and tried everywhere" said Chromia.

"Let's just hope he's safe," said Optimus Prime, very concerned.

* * *

Misfire was worried. Megatron planned to radio the Autobots on Thursday. It was Tuesday. How was he going to save Gem? Megatron decided the Decepticons would attack the Autobots on Wednesday, then radio them and tell them about their prisoner.

That Wednesday the Decepticons were leaving for the attack. Misfire offered to could stay to guard the base in case Gem tried to escape or that the Autobots may have found out about Gem and try to rescue him. Megatron allowed him to stay.

"You couldn't hit anything anyway."

Misfire silently thanked whatever deity watched over him.

Megatron left with the other Decepticons. When they were all out of sight Misfire went to Gem's cell and told him that he was going to take him to his secret spot and hide in the trees. When the Decepticons all returned to base, he would take him to Autobot headquarters.

"Thank you. Misfire, but isn't it dangerous? I mean if the Decepticons see or find out ..."

"I have to do it Gem. You're my only friend and I'm your only chance. It's risky, but there is no other way."

Gem nodded, deeply respecting Misfire's concern and care for him. If he had to risk his life for Misfire he'd gladly do so.

Misfire flew Gem out of Decepticon headquarters.

He flew into the forest near Gem's secret spot. Later, they saw the Decepticons were flying far above them. When they all were out of sight, Misfire took Gem to the Autobots.

"I'll explain to my friends about you" Gem said.

Misfire nodded and thanked him. He took Gem to Autobot headquarters. Some Autobots pointed their weapons at Misfire

"No ... Wait ..." said Gem, telling how Misfire had helped him.

The Autobots lowered their weapons and thanked Misfire. Misfire told Optimus Prime how he didn't like cruelty or fighting. Optimus nodded and believed him.

"Optimus," Misfire said, taking a deep breath. "I would like to become an Autobot ... The Decepticon's aren't for me ... and I don't know how I got mixed up with them. I don't want to go back to them and I want this war to end."

Optimus Prime looked at Misfire, and could see in his eyes that he was telling the truth.

"This may seem sudden," he said, "but I welcome you to our cause."

"Thank you." Misfire and Gem smiled.

"And I thank you for returning our friend to us."

Misfire smiled again. "Don't mention it - he's my friend too!"

Meanwhile, Back at Decepticon headquarters, Megatron had discovered both Gem and Misfire had gone. He turned to the computer in the main control room and discovered Misfire with the Autobots. Megatron furiously slammed his fist onto the console.

"How could I have been so ..."

"Stupid, Megatron?"

"Shut up, Starscream!"

Starscream smirked and left.

"To think that I ever gave that Misfire a chance ... Some leaders do have 'em ... When I get my hands on him ... I'll rip him to shreds!"

* * *

During the newt few weeks, Misfire got to know the Autobots on a more personal level. Moonracer had promised to help Misfire with his aim. "Good luck," Misfire had told her, but he was definitely looking forward to his lessons.

Misfire and Gem liked to be together and would always be the best of friends. They were playing amidst the sand dunes and large rocks of the desert, when Misfire suddenly felt a cold wave come over him.

"There you are, traitor," came a deceptively calm voice.

Misfire turned and saw his ex-leader pointing the business end of his fusion cannon at him. "You should have known you'd be tracked down and destroyed, and it's beyond my comprehension why any self respecting Decepticon would-"

"Save it, Megatron. It's because of self respect that I did this. I'm sick of being nothing more than a pawn in this effing war that you started!"

"Sweet last words..." Megatron fired.

Misfire jumped out of the way.

"Your reaction is better than your aim."

"Leave him alone" Gem exclaimed.

Megatron blasted him.

"GEM!" Misfire exclaimed!

"Such an inappropriate name for this Autobot trash," Megatron sneered. He pointed his fusion cannon at the fallen Autobot. A blast at full power would kill Misfire's best friend.

"NO!" Misfire exclaimed. He wrenched out his gun, to which Megatron laughed.

"Go ahead and try! You'll probably hit your friend here."

Megatron aimed his cannon at the unconscious Gem and started to pull back on the trigger of his fusion cannon.

Misfire took aim, prayed, shut his eyes and fired. He opened them a moment later at see Megatron sprawled on his back about 100 years away.

"Yes!" Misfire exclaimed ecstatically, but he was more concerned for Gem. Megatron would regain consciousness soon and when he did, his mood would not be great, and Misfire didn't like his chances of another direct hit. He quickly scooped up his friend, transformed and flew directly to Autobot headquarters.

Gem was repaired by Doc Ratchet and was as good as new.

The Autobots were as excited as Misfire about his 'shot.'

And Misfire has realised that if you believe in something, it will happen. He hadn't believed in the war, or fighting and killing, hence his lousy shooting - he didn't feel as if he had a purpose.

"Do you think Megatron will attack me again?" he asked Optimus Prime, concerned.

"He'll take a pot shot at you whenever he can and tell all the other Decepticons to, but I doubt he'd spend all his time chasing after you, sorry, but he wouldn't consider you that important."

"Hey - that's good!"

Both Optimus and Misfire smiled.

Misfire took Gem to his secret spot and they played together, the grass, the trees, in the water and on the bank. Theirs was a very special friendship -one which would last a lifetime and that could never be broken, not by death not by war.

"Thanks, Gem, without you I'd still be a miserable at Decepticon headquarters."

"Hey, my pleasure, Mis ... Though now that you're an outlaw to the Decepticons, so to speak, won't you be scared that they'll hurt - or kill you?"

Misfire smiled. And indicated his shining red insignia. "Hey, I'm an Autobot now - so I guess I'd better get used to it!"

And they both laughed.

 

*

 

Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

Back to Transformers Page