Disclaimer:  Winnie the Pooh was created by A. A Milne

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

 

Summary:  A newcomer comes to the Hundred Aker Wood and teaches Eeyore a valuable lesson.

 

Rating G

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

                                                     WHISPER IN THE WOODS

 

 

The late morning sun gently warmed that special place, the Hundred Aker Wood, the place of friendship, magic, wonder, where fantasy comes alive.  Gentle breezes weaved through the familliar trees as the sounds of birds and crickets and hunny bees subtly filled the air.

 

  "There, that should do it," Rabbit said to himself, proudly looking at his garden, holding his rake.  "And you're doing a good job, I might add."  He looked at his new scarecrow and smiled.  "No crows ... no bugs ... Ahh what a beautiful sight."

A second later, Rabbit's on the ground with a striped orange figure bearing down on him.  The bunny scowled.  "Spoke too soon, as usual ..."

  "Whatcha doin,' Buddy Boy?"

  "Tending my Garden," Rabbit snapped.  "Your favorite place to bounce me!"

Tigger laughed.  "It's a splendiferous day for bouncing!"

Rabbit stood and dusted himself off.  "If you ask me no day is good for bouncing," he muttered with a scowl.

  "Well, gotta go," Tigger leapt off Rabbit. "So many things to bounce, so little time!"

Rabbit shook his head as he stood and fluffed out his carrots, flattened where he fell.

 

Winnie The Pooh made his way to Piglet's house to share some hunny with him, the little one delighted to see his cuddly friend.

 

Tigger was still bouncing.  Kanga tidied her home.  Owl had gone visiting relatives, and everyone was happy.

 

Except Eeyore.  His stick house had fallen down once again, and he was wet and cold from the rains the pervious night.

  "Oh well ... Time to build a new house ... As usual..."

But before he started, he lay down in his Gloomy place.  "I don't suppose I'll get any visitors either..."

But a white stranger watched him from afar.

 

Piglet had finished his spring cleaning.

  "There, good as new."

And Tigger bounced him.

  "Why T … T … Tigger you startled me!"

  "Sorry, Piglet 'ol Pal, but you just looked like you were achin' for a bounce!"

 

It was had begin to get cooler as the afternoon progressed and windier.

  "Looks like we're in fir a Blustery night," Tigger said.

  "Oh … n … n … no …" Piglet said.  "I have to get my washing in… Help me, Please, Tigger."

  "No problem.  That's what Tiggers do best, get washing!"

And he bounced all Piglet's clothing on the line.

Piglet sighed.  "Looks like I'll have to do some more washing …"

Tigger bounced off.

 

Rabbit was madly protecting his garden.  Kanga had Roo come inside, worried for him and Owl had flown back to his home.

 

Pooh had gathered heaps of hunny and had stored it safely away in his tree home.

 

Eeyore had lost his tail once more and had become even more depressed than usual and the others were too busy to help him look for it.  Eeyore searched high and low, then he sat down and began to cry.  The stranger watched him.

 

It was almost dark now.  One of Piglet's shirts flew off in the wind. 

  "Oh .. n .. no…" Piglet chased after it.

The pink shirt became caught in a tree and Piglet was too small to get it.  He saw a flash of white, then looked terrified as he saw what could only be described as a Jagular standing before him, white teeth gleaming in the moonlight.  Piglet trembled so he could not speak.  When he finally found his voice … "G …. g ….g ooooo …. a …way  …"

The 'Jagular' looked at him.  "I won't hurt you," she said.  "I got your shirt."  She showed it to him in her mouth.

Piglet had calmed somewhat.  "Are you a  J … J … Jagular?"

The stranger laughed.  "No.  I'm a wolf."

  "What's a wolf?"

  "A wolf is me."

  "Oh, of course."

  "Now let's get you home, Piglet."

  "You know my name?"

  "Yes, I've been watching you and your friends for some time.  My name is Whisper."

  "Please to meet you, Whisper.  I'm so glad that you're not a J … J … Jagular.."

  "So am I."

And she escorted Piglet home and went to search for Eeyore's tail.

 

In the morning the Hundred Aker Wood was alive with discussion about Whisper.

  "Friend or foe?" Tigger asked, defensively.

  "Friend," Piglet said.  "She got my shirt and walked me home."

  "She found my tail," Eeyore said, coming to them.  "Hope you don't mind me being here."

  "Of course not, Eeyore," Winnie said.  "Care for some Hunny?"

  "No thank you.  Donkey's don't like Hunny."

Whisper joined them, hoping she would be accepted as part of the gang.

  "Where did you say you were from?" Tigger asked, eyeing her.

  'I didn't yet.  I'm from beyond the North Pole.  I come with my friend Tanya, a friend of your Christopher Robin's."

  "Well any friend of Christopher Robin is a friend of ours," Tigger said.  "Want to go bouncing?"

  "No thank you, Tigger, I'd like to get to know everyone."

And introductions began, ending with Eeyore.

  "And I'm Eeyore, not that anyone cares."

  "Of course we care, Eeyore," Whisper said.

 

Eeyore sat in his gloomy spot eating thistles when Whisper came to him.

  "Why so sad?"

  "Everyone seems to have forgotten my birthday.  Not that they'd want me around anyway.  They all seem to have been avoiding me."

  "If it's your birthday I'm sure everyone'll want you around."

  "You think so?"

  "I know so.  Come with me, Eeyore."

And he followed her to Pooh's house where a surprise party awaited him.

  "See no one forgot your birthday," Whisper said.

Eeyore smiled a rare smile.  "Shucks you shouldn't have."

  "Of course we should have," Whisper said.  "Happy birthday, Eeyore."

She wiped a tear from his face as he sat down and began to eat some thistle cake.

  "And now for your present."

  "A present too?" Eeyore was clearly touched.

  "Yes," Whisper said.

  "Ta da!" Tigger said, unveiling a large contraption.  "Guaranteed not to fall down."

  "A new house! Thank you so much … " Eeyore exclaimed, beside himself.  "How can I ever thank you?"

  "You did, I think. Anyways, that's why we didn't talk to you much because we didn't want to spoil the surprise."

Eeyore wiped another tear away.

 

Two birds flew with Eeyore's home to his special spot and placed it on the ground followed by a precession of the Hundred Aker Wood gang. 

Eeyore tried out his large home, big enough for two and it didn't fall down when the butterfly sat on it!  The butterfly fluttered down and sat on Eeyore's nose.

  "Aww this is the best present anyone could have ever given me besides your friendship."

  "We're glad you like it, Eeyore," Pooh said.

 

Whisper stayed behind after the others had left.

  "You see, Eeyore, they do care for you and love you."

The grey donkey smiled.  "I know, thanks to you."

  "No - thanks to you.  They love you, Eeyore, it has nothing to do with me.  I just helped you understand that."

  "Well thank you anyways."

Whisper smiled.  "My pleasure."

  "It's beginning to get dark, you'd better find your way home."

  "If you don't mind, I'd like to stay here with you."

  "Really?"

  "Yes, Really, help you settle into your new home."

Whisper walked inside as Eeyore sat down.  She leaned against his soft belly and went to sleep.  Eeyore smiled warmly and closed his eyes as a calm night befell the Hundred Aker Woods.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

WHISPER

 

Friend to the Hundred Aker Woods

 

Whisper is a white wolf who comes from beyond the North Pole with her friend Tanya, a neighbour of Christopher Robin.  Whisper is friendly, wise and helpful, and has a special place in her heart for Eeyore.  She wants him to know that he is indeed loved and always helps him.

 

 

 

Whisper & Eeyore

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Back to Winnie the Pooh Page