Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Saturn and Night Rider's story

Author's Note: Saturn and Night Rider created by Seawave

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO START AGAIN

 

Many millions of years ago on the planet Cybertron, before the war, two Autobots, Night Rider and Saturn were best friends. They did everything together. Night Rider was very protective of his little yellow friend.

One time, the two went to collect some energon cubes. They both transformed into their vehicle modes and began to race. Saturn tried very hard, but Night Rider beat him. He then transformed into his robot mode.

"Hah! Don't blow a gasket, little guy!"

Saturn transformed and smiled.

"I'll beat you one day!"

Night Rider gave a short, friendly laugh.

"Race you to the generator" he said.

"Okay," smiled Saturn, transforming.

Night Rider also transformed and the two sped off. He was already ahead of Saturn.

"I'll let him win ...." he thought, slowing down, allowing Saturn to pass. Saturn arrived first.

"Told you I'd beat you someday!" he said, happily.

Night Rider smiled. They began collecting energon cubes. When they'd gathered enough, they transformed, returned to headquarters and began to unload the energon.

Night Rider drank a cube.

"Ohhh ...." he sighed, putting his hand over his stomach. "That feels better ..... "

Saturn drank a smaller cube.

"You never eat much " said Night Rider, concerned, "don't you ever get hungry?"

Saturn shook his head. "This is all I need."

Night Rider smiled and helped Saturn carry the cubes into the energon storage room.

Night Rider began playing games with Saturn. He was always very gentle with him, as Saturn was much smaller and weaker than him. Saturn liked Night Rider a lot. He loved how he was always so gentle and kind.

"He's never hurt me in any way" thought Saturn "and we've been friends for so long .... I'm lucky to have a friend like Night Rider." Saturn smiled to himself.

Night Rider and Saturn went on many missions together. On one mission, Saturn accidentally drove off a high road. He screamed and transformed, frantically trying to grab onto the edge. Night Rider grabbed him just in time.

"Hey .... careful ..."

Saturn was shivering with shock, and breathing heavily. He then started crying.

"Th .... thank you ...."

Night Rider comforted his friend gently.

"It's okay, Saturn " he calmed. "You're all right now."

Saturn nodded, stopped shivering and dried his tears. He felt safe now that he was in Night Rider's arms. They completed the mission and returned to headquarters.

Months later, Saturn was still his very playful, cheerful self, but Night Rider was growing less and less playful. He also felt he was growing apart from Saturn.

"He needs me. He respects me more than anyone How would he cope without me? In a way he's obsessed with me ... It'd break his heart if I said I didn't want to be friends with him anymore."

Night Rider thought about it. It was going to be hard for him to say, and even harder for Saturn to accept.

On the far side of Cybertron, there were a group of rogue Autobots, whom did not agree with the way Cybertron was being governed. Megatron was their leader. More and more of these rogue Autobots joined him. Megatron gave a name to his new group: The Decepticons --

They replaced their Autobot insignias with Decepticon insignias and began constructing powerful weapons for themselves, for they were about to start a war.

Night Rider was growing more and more away from Saturn. He even felt himself growing apart from the Autobots.

The Decepticons by now, had made themselves known to all Autobots, and the war had begun - a war that was to rage till this very day.

Night Rider had made up his mind. He decided to join the Decepticons.

"How's Saturn gonna take this?" Night Rider paused for a moment. "He'll get over it somehow, someday ...."

Saturn was frightened of the Decepticons.

"I hope they don't ever hurt Night Rider ...." he thought, worried, concerned for his friend. "He's my best friend. I don't know what I'd do without him."

Night Rider approached the Decepticons. They began to fire at him. Night Rider skidded out of the way.

"Hold on ..... I wanna join you guys ...."

The Decepticons stopped firing.

"You wanna join us? Why?"

Skywarp waited impatiently for an answer. Night Rider began to explain to them.

"Sounds good" said Thundercracker, "but how do we know if you're not tryin' to trick us?"

"Let's take him to Megatron" said Skywarp.

The two Decepticons took hold of Night Rider's arms and brought him before Megatron.

"He says he wants to become a Decepticon" Thundercracker said. "Could be lying. "

Megatron looked at Night Rider, suspicious. "Autobot, if you are trying to trick us ...."

Night Rider ripped off his Autobot insignia, screwed it up and threw it away. "Does that convince you, Megatron? I want to become a Decepticon."

Night Rider's actions and forceful words, the tone of his voice told Megatron and the other Decepticons he was telling the truth.

"So .... you want to become one of us ..... very well. A very wise choice. What is your name?"

"Night Rider."

Megatron gave him a Decepticon insignia.

"You now become a member of the Decepticons, Night Rider."

Night Rider smiled, and proudly looked at his new shining insignia.

Saturn was getting worried about Night Rider. He hadn't seen him for weeks.

"It's not like him not to tell me where he's going .... Oh no..... Maybe the Decepticons've hurt him ....."

Saturn began asking around if anyone had seen Night rider. No one was able to help. Saturn became even more worried. He searched by himself for days.

One time he saw a large Decepticon shuttle land. Saturn was frightened and ran behind a large pile of scrap metal. The shuttle was a fair way from Saturn, but he was able to see the hatch open. Some Decepticons walked outside, including Night Rider. Saturn gasped. He couldn't believe it.

"They've captured him ...." Saturn thought.

He was so excited about seeing Night Rider, he forgot about the Decepticons and ran towards the shuttle.

"Night Rider! .... Night Rider! ...."

Some Decepticons raised their weapons to Saturn, but Night Rider prevented them from firing.

"Wait ...." he said.

"I thought the Decepticons had killed you" said Saturn, out of breath. "No one has seen you. I began to look for you, and...." Saturn looked up and saw Night Rider's Decepticon insignia. "What? .... Night Rider ..... I don't understand .... You a .... De...cepticon? ...."

Night Rider nodded. Saturn was utterly shocked and speechless.

"I've changed, Saturn" Night Rider began to explain.

Saturn shook his head. "No ...." he wailed, tears brimming in his eyes. "Why?...."

"I've told you. I've changed. I'm not like I used to be."

"But Night Rider, you ....."

"But nothing. I'm not your friend anymore."

Saturn felt a crunch in his the pit of his stomach. Tears then poured out of his eyes.

"I can't believe this is happening ..... Why? ...."

"I was bored with my life the way it was. Sick of it. I enjoyed it at first, but lately I haven't been happy with it. That's why."

Saturn hesitated, still in tears.

"I wanna join the Decepticons with you."

"No you don't. You're not suited to us."

"But Night Rider, I wanna be with you ...."

"Do you like fighting?"

Saturn shook his head.

"Killing?"

"You know I don't, Night Rider. Why are you asking me ...."

"Then you are not suited to us Decepticons. Get outta here. Get lost."

"Night Rider, please ...." wailed Saturn.

Night Rider pushed Saturn onto the ground. Saturn looked up at him.

"Please, Night Rider ...."

Night Rider pointed his gun at Saturn. "I told you to get lost."

"No .... I .... I can't ...."

Night Rider blasted Saturn in his chest. He could see his X-friend was hurt.

"Do you want me to destroy him, Night Rider?" asked Skywarp.

"No. We used to be friends. This'll be hard for him to get over. I'll let him go - this once."

Skywarp nodded, then teleported himself inside the shuttle.

"I'm letting you go, Saturn, but this once only" said Night Rider. "I do understand how you feel and I have taken that into account, but the next time we meet, it will be as enemies."

Saturn looked up at Night Rider, tears in his eyes.

"But I could never hate you ...."

"Suit yourself, Saturn - Goodbye."

Night Rider walked inside the shuttle.

"Night Rider! Come back! ....."

Night Rider ignored him and closed the hatch. The shuttle then took off. Saturn was thrown backwards by the blast. It hurt him, but he was too upset to feel the pain. He stayed on his knees, on the ground, crying. He could not believe his best and only true friend had deserted and betrayed him.

"I never did anything to upset him ....."

Saturn found the strength to return to Autobot headquarters. He sadly told the other Autobots what had happened.

"That traitor .... Wait till I get my hands on him...." said Ironhide, angrily.

"No .... " wailed Saturn. "Don't hurt him ...."

He burst into tears. The other Autobots knew just how he felt. They were sympathetic and tried to comfort him. Saturn appreciated their concern, but there was no one he cared about as much as Night Rider. For days, Saturn wouldn't eat, go out. All he did was sit alone in his room and cry, absolutely heartbroken. He hated fighting, especially against his best friend. He wouldn't let anyone shoot him.

"Saturn" said Wheeljack, "he doesn't care anymore. He's a Decepticon. He hates us and wants to destroy us. He ....."

"I don't care! I still love him ...."

Saturn ran away, bawling. The Autobots all sympathized with him, but wished he would see their point.

Saturn wasn't aware of it, but he ran blindly into Decepticon territory. There, he fell onto his knees and cried.

Two Decepticons saw him.

"What is that crazy Autobot doing?!" asked Blitzwing in surprise. "He just runs right into our territory, sits down and cries!"

"Well .... he's obviously upset about something ...." said Skywarp.

"Who cares? He made the mistake of trespassing into our domain."

Blitzwing fired at Saturn. Saturn shrieked. He was so upset, he hadn't realized where he was. He was unarmed and couldn't defend himself. He tried to scrabble away, but the two Decepticons blasted at him. Saturn was terrified. Skywarp and Blitzwing grabbed him. Saturn tried to struggle free.

"Let me go .... please .....!" he wailed.

"Shaddup, ya wimp."

Blitzwing pointed his gyro blaster at Saturn and blasted him.

"Let's interrogate him when he wakes up."

"I hate interrogating wimpy Autobots, Skywarp."

"You don't have to. Give him to Night Rider. He knows more about him than us. They used to be friends before he joined us."

Skywarp then carried Saturn's unconscious body into their headquarters and took him to Night Rider.

"Night Rider" said Skywarp, bringing Saturn into his room. "Here's an Autobot for you to interrogate."

Skywarp dropped Saturn onto the floor. Night Rider looked at him.

"Oh .... great ..... Thanks, Skywarp ...."

Skywarp left Night Rider to it.

"He should be a cinch to interrogate" said Night Rider to himself. "I won't even have to tie him up ...."

Saturn began to regain consciousness.

"Night Rider!" Saturn was happy to see his friend, although Night Rider wasn't in the least happy to see him.

"What are the Autobots latest battle plans?" he asked.

The question scared Saturn. He was loyal, but in a way, he wanted to give Night Rider what he wanted. He hesitated for a short while.

"The other Autobots are right ...." he thought. "Night Rider is a Decepticon now and ...."

Saturn tried hard to hold tears back.

"I .... I can't tell you ....."

"Tell me - Now."

The coldness and harshness of Night Rider's voice frightened Saturn.

"Night Rider, I still consider you my friend, but I cannot betray the Autobots."

"I don't care about that, Saturn. Tell me the plans."

"I can't ...."

"You can."

"I can't, Night Rider."

"You can. Tell me."

"No ..... I can't ...."

"TELL ME!!"

Saturn gasped and started to shiver. A few tears rolled down his cheeks. Night Rider realized frightening Saturn would get nowhere. He stood up and paced around his room, thinking of a way to persuade Saturn to tell him. He came to an abrupt halt and walked back to Saturn.

"Saturn" he said somewhat gently, kneeling down to him, and putting his hand softly on Saturn's shoulder, "listen, if you tell me the plans, I'll be your friend again, forever. I promise."

Saturn did not hesitate. He told Night Rider everything. The Decepticon smiled. "Thank you, Autobot scrap ...."

"What? ..... But you promised ..... if I told ...."

"I lied --"

Saturn dropped onto his knees onto the floor, shaking his head and bawling loudly. He was shocked, heartbroken and totally helpless.

"I could kill him ...." thought Night Rider, "but it'd be too easy. He can't defend himself against me - He won't defend himself against me. He can't to anything against me. What should I do with him?"

Saturn looked up at Night Rider in tears.

"Please don't hate me ..... Please be my friend ..... I'll do anything ....."

Night Rider was growing impatient.

"Saturn ...."

"PLEASE!!!!"

Saturn stood up, shakily and walked forward.

"Keep still" ordered Night Rider.

"No ...." wailed Saturn. "Please, Night Rider ...."

Saturn hugged onto Night Rider's leg. Night Rider violently kicked him off. It hurt Saturn a lot. He put his arm gently over his stomach. Night Rider looked at him.

"I am NOT your friend anymore, Saturn."

"But please, Night Rider ....." wailed Saturn.

"HOW MANY BLASTED TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU??!! I AM A DECEPTICON!"

More tears poured out of Saturn's eyes.

"Please, Night Rider ...."

Night Rider lost his patience and blasted Saturn twice.

Saturn fell onto the floor, shivering with pain and fear.

"That was a warning, Saturn."

Saturn gasped, horrified. He couldn't make himself move. Night Rider roughly picked him up and threw him out of the headquarters.

"Don't EVER come back to me again. I hate you. I hate all Autobots. If I ever see you again, I'll personally kill you."

Saturn could not describe his heartbroken feelings. In a way, he wanted to stay with Night Rider, but he couldn't. He couldn't stand it. He transformed and raced blindly away.

He ran into Autobot headquarters to the ammunition room and grabbed a small, but highly explosive bomb.

"Saturn," started Prowl, another Autobot, " what are you going to do with that bomb?"

Saturn ran straight past him.

"Leave me alone!"

He ran out of the headquarters, transformed and sped to a place Night Rider and he came to often. Saturn then went down into his secret cavern.

"I cannot live without you, Night Rider ...."

 

Later .... The Autobots were beginning to get worried about Saturn.

"Where could he be?" asked Optimus Prime, the new Autobot leader.

"The last time I saw him," said Prowl, "he was in tears, running out of the headquarters with a small bomb. He was terribly upset."

"It's about Night Rider" said Optimus, feeling sympathetic. "What has happened is very hard for him to accept, if not impossible, but the bomb, why would he ....."

"Maybe he used it on Night Rider" suggested Blue Streak.

Optimus nodded. "Maybe, but we have to look for him. He has been gone too long and may be in considerable danger. He may also have committed suicide."

The Autobots organized an extensive search, but could not locate Saturn anywhere.

"There's one last place we can try." said Optimus. "Follow me."

They drove to the last spot, where Saturn and Night Rider often came. They carried out an extensive search of the area, but still could not find Saturn. They failed to search a cavern entrance, which was blocked with rubble ...

The Autobots returned to their headquarters, feeling unsatisfied at their failure, but also very worried about Saturn.

Saturn did not return for a long time. Slowly the Autobots began to forget about him.

Night Rider had almost totally forgotten Saturn ever existed, let alone their once beautiful friendship.

 

Many years later, Cybertron was beginning to run dangerously low on energy. The Autobots then left Cybertron, in The Ark, in search of, a new energy source to revitalize the planet. Unbeknownst to them, they were being followed by the Decepticons, who attacked and boarded the Ark. During the battle, the Ark, was dragged down, out of control by the force of gravity to the planet below - Earth. It crashed into the base of a volcano and exploded. All the Transformers inside it were destroyed.

 

The recent volcanic eruption of Mount Saint Helens could be heard many thousands of miles away. The mountain was almost literally blown apart. The eruption destroyed much plant and animal life, but it also shook loose and exposed gigantic metal object that had been buried some four million years ago. Pinpricks of light entered the craft. The computer, Teletraan I had reactivated, but was still quite damaged.

He sent a probe to scan the new planet. It later returned with vast gigabytes of data and new forms, native to this planet for the Transformers to transform into. Teletraan began the operation of reactivating the long dormant Transformers.

The first revived was Megatron, given the form of a Walther P-38 pistol with modifications. Megatron began to help Teletraan revive the other Decepticons, who were given forms such as military jets and communication devices. After they had all been given life again, Decepticons left The Ark and blasted the volcano side, sending tonnes of rocks and debris down onto The spacecraft. Perhaps the Autobots would remain buried here for another four million years.

Perhaps not.

Unbeknownst to the Decepticons, the volley of rocks once again reactivated Teletraan and he resumed reactivating the Autobots. Optimus Prime being the first, given the form of a large tractor trailer. The other Autobots were given vehicular modes such as cars and transit vans.

The Transformers' never ending war continued here - on Earth.

 

They were on Earth for quite some years. The Decepticons had sworn to plunder Earth, stealing all its energy sources and enslaving the entire human race, whereas the Autobots had sworn to protect the planet and all its inhabitants. Furious battles often raged, both sides often triumphing.

The present date --

The Decepticons launched a full scale all-out attack on the Autobots. The Autobots were totally unprepared. The battle was long and hard, the Autobots fought back as best they could, but were losing, many of them were wounded and those still standing were low on power.

Night Rider saw a small Autobot, Bumblebee ... The small yellow Autobot reminded him of someone he once knew, but who, he just couldn't put his finger on it.

Night Rider saw some Autobots training their weapons on him. Night Rider was then blasted in his chest by Inferno. He fell onto the ground, then sat up. Inferno ran to him and pointed his rifle at him.

"Move and you're fried."

Night Rider quietly edged his hand toward his gun. Inferno blasted it. He then grabbed him and took him inside Autobot headquarters as a prisoner. Night Rider tried to violently struggle away, but he failed. Inferno took him to a prison cell and was joined by some other Autobots.

"What do you want with me?" asked Night Rider, coldly.

The Autobots began to interrogate him. Night Rider stubbornly refused to answer any of their questions.

"Answer us, Night Rider ...." threatened Ratchet, or we'll have to ...."

He pointed a gun at Night Rider.

"You can't make me do anything" said Night Rider confidently.

"I'm sorry" said Ratchet, "but ...."

He blasted Night Rider in his chest. Night Rider fell onto the floor. He then shakily sat up. He didn't want to tell the enemy anything. Night Rider pretended to be very hurt by the blast. Ratchet put the gun down and knelt down to Night Rider. Night Rider grabbed the gun, blasted the unaware Autobots and escaped. "Those blasted Autobots will pay ...." he cursed, furiously.

A few days later, Megatron was standing in the main control room of Decepticon headquarters, with a few other Decepticons.

"I can feel the Autobots are planning something ...." he said uneasily. "Night Rider, I want you to go to Autobot HQ and capture one."

"Anyone in particular, Megatron?"

"Anyone weaker than yourself, and that will be vulnerable."

"You got it."

Night Rider then began to fly to Autobot headquarters. While on his way there, he thought of which Autobot he would capture. After a lot of careful consideration, he decided on Sputnik.

"Yes ...." he thought. "Smaller, weaker and being female, very vulnerable. She'll be perfect."

Night Rider arrived at Autobot headquarters and waited nearby. Sputnik, a little while later, walked outside. She transformed into her black and red corvette more and sped off. Night Rider followed her, airborne. When they were out of range of Teletraan I's sensors. Night Rider began his attack. Sputnik skidded and transformed into her robot mode. She then began to blast at Night Rider. Night Rider dodged her blasts. Sputnik managed to hit him in his lower arm. Night Rider angrily returned fire. After shots from both sides, Night Rider finally managed to blast Sputnik's ionic blaster. As she dived for her weapon, Night Rider blasted her. He then landed, roughly picked her up and began to return to Decepticon headquarters.

"Yes ...." he thought. "She'll be easy - a push over."

He took her into his quarters and put an energon restrainer band around her hands.

"I probably won't have to use this, but security regulations say ...."

Sputnik soon regained consciousness. She took a moment to become accustomed to her surroundings. She then looked up at Night Rider.

"Tell me the Autobot plans ...." she mouthed with him as he said it.

"How did you know I was going to say that?" he asked.

"It is obvious isn't it. Why else would a Decepticon capture an Autobot?"

"Well?" asked Night Rider.

"Well what?"

"Tell me the plans" he said.

"What makes you think we've always got plans?"

"Optimus Prime is always devising new plans. He's always hiding something ...."

"Optimus Prime ...." said Sputnik. " He's cute, don't you think?"

"Cute?!"

Sputnik laughed.

"That's enough games, female Autobot. Tell me the plans."

"Forget it. I ain't tellin' ya nothin."

"You will tell me, female Autobot, or ...."

"The name's Sputnik, male Decepticon."

"You will cooperate with me."

"Will you cooperate with me?"

"Of course not, Autobot .... Why would ...."

"Then why should I cooperate with you?"

"Don't make me lose my temper."

"Why not? It's fun watching you Con's go crazy."

Night Rider gave a sarcastic smile. "You will tell me the plans now."

"Who says?"

"This says --"

Night Rider pulled out his gun and pointed it at very close range to Sputnik's face.

"Yeah ... right .... sure .... I'll tell you .... Uhh...."

She paused for a while. "Oh dear .... " she said with major sarcasm. "Prime hasn't told us anything yet. Sorry. Can't help you. Next please."

"You're lying to me, Autobot. I'm warning you - TELL ME!!"

Night Rider expected Sputnik to shudder at his booming, but all she did was stare at his eyes and shout back at him. Sputnik could see Night Rider was severely losing his patience.

"TELL ME THE PLANS!!!!"

The Autobot smiled. "You're not mad 'cos I ain't tellin' ya the plans, you're mad 'cos I'm not a pushover."

Night Rider hesitated, taking a moment to comprehend what Sputnik had just said to him. Although he hated to admit it, she was right. He scowled.

"If you don't tell me, I'll have to ...."

"What? Kill me ..... Ohh ..... please ..... have mercy ...."

Sputnik's voice dripped with sarcasm.

"Don't tempt me ... If you don't tell me. I will kill you."

"Oh all right ...." gave in Sputnik. "I'll tell you. Prime's plans are to stop you guys from controlling the universe."

"I know that, but just how does he plan to do it?"

"How the hell should I know? I don't live in the guy's mind, y'know. I'm not Deanna Troi. Why don't you ask him?"

"I can't. He's too strong and ...."

"So you get me because I'm weaker than you. Y' got no guts, coward."

"Watch what you say, Autobot."

"I am getting to you, aren't I?"

Night Rider could not stand it anymore. He lunged forward and attacked Sputnik. Sputnik managed to break free of the energon restrainer that bound her wrists.

"You couldn't fight me, Autobot weakling ...."

"Oh yeah?! Watch me!"

Sputnik violently and forcefully fought back. She wasn't as strong as Night Rider, but strong and determined enough to impress him considerably, although he'd never admit it. Sputnik continued her relentless blows to Night Rider, giving him barely enough time to fight back. Sputnik managed to knock him out. She then dusted off her hands.

"That wasn't so hard ...."

She skillfully made her way out of the Decepticon fortress, back home to Autobot headquarters.

Night Rider began to regain consciousness about half an hour later.

"Ohhh ...." he groaned in pain. "Autobot bitch.... What a headache..." He was still amazed and surprised by what had happened. He slowly stood up. "Oooohhh .... pain ...."

Night Rider slowly walked out of his room, heading for the repair bay to treat his bruises.

"Where is the Autobot you were supposed to have captured?" asked Megatron, who stopped him in the corridor. Night Rider concealed his pain well.

"I .... I haven't captured one yet."

"Night Rider, I gave you that task three hours ago!"

"I know, sorry, Megatron. I had some things I had to do and I had to decide which Autobot would be the most suitable."

"Be more efficient next time. Now go and capture that Autobot and be quick about it."

"Yes, sir."

Night Rider paid a visit to the repair bay before immediately returning to Autobot headquarters.

"Who should I capture? ...." he thought to himself again. "Sputnik said Optimus Prime knew his plans. Naturally, but would I be able to capture him? Even if I could, he's so loyal, there's no way I could make him tell me ..... Oh, darn.... Who can I get? They're all loyal. I hate this. Why couldn't Megatron give this task to someone else? Why me?"

Night Rider touched down in a forest and sat on a large rock and began to think. A deer curiously walked up to him. Night Rider pushed it away, but it came back. Night Rider pointed his gun at it, but for some reason, didn't want to kill it. The deer licked the tip of his gun. Night Rider smiled. He put the gun on his lap and began to stroke deer's head.

"I'd like to stay here" he said, "but if I don't capture an Autobot soon, Megatron'll go spare."

Night Rider picked up his gun and left for Autobot headquarters, giving the deer a good bye stroke. He decided to capture Elita One, Optimus Prime's sister.

"Yes ...." he said to himself. "Even after I've interrogated her, she'll bring a hefty ransom ...."

Night Rider felt pleased with himself. He waited by Autobot headquarters, until he saw Elita One. He then pounced on her. Elita was not prepared at first, but quickly retaliated to her enemy. To Night Rider's surprise, she was even stronger than him! He tried desperately to gain the upper hand, but was losing. He continued to fight, but it was futile. Elita easily managed to defeat him. She then aimed her gun at him. Night Rider was on his knees on the ground. He put his hand up.

"Don't shoot" he said. "I give up ...."

Elita lowered her weapon.

"Get out of here, Decepticon" she ordered.

Night Rider complied, or so Elita thought. He came back and concealed himself behind a large tree.

"That's the last time I try to capture a female Autobot .... Sheesh women!"

Night Rider waited behind the tree for an Autobot to come outside. He was there for quite a long while before Monitor walked outside. Night Rider waited until he was a considerable way from the entrance, then set his weapon on stun and blasted him. Night Rider then quickly picked him up and returned to Decepticon headquarters.

"I captured Monitor, Megatron."

"It's about time" he snapped. "And if you don't have any valuable information, I'll ..."

" Cool it, Megatron .... I'll get it."

Megatron nodded and walked away in the opposite direction. Night Rider walked into his room and put Monitor onto a chair. He began to regain consciousness and was startled at first.

"What are Optimus Prime's latest plans?"

"I will not divulge any secret data to you" was Monitor's reply.

Night Rider held his gun at Monitor. "You will tell me now."

Monitor felt frightened, but also felt he couldn't betray his friends. He shook his head. "I cannot tell you."

"You can and you will."

"No" said Monitor, determined.

Night Rider then blasted Monitor in his chest. Monitor fell onto the floor. His chest shattered. In computer mode, Monitor's chest was very sensitive. He tried to get up. Night Rider roughly pulled him up and harshly pushed him back into the chair. He also knew another weakness Monitor had.

"If you don't tell me the plans, I'll rip your sensor out."

"No .... please don't ...."

Monitor knew just what that would do and how much excruciating pain it would cause him. Night Rider bent down and put his hand inside Monitor, just where his chest had smashed, near his sensor.

"So, Mono, what'll it be?..."

Monitor was very frightened. He told Night Rider a plan which Optimus had used a long time ago. It was quite old and Night Rider didn't remember it, so he believed the Autobot.

"Is that all?" he asked. "Have you told me everything?"

Monitor nodded. "Affirmative."

"Good."

Night Rider then reached deeper into Monitor's chest, nearer to his sensor. Monitor was very frightened and nervous.

"What are you doing? ... No .... please don't touch my sensor .... Please .... It's so painful .... It'll kill me.... Please don't .... I ...."

Tears flowed down Monitor's cheeks. Night Rider could see just how petrified the Autobot was and withdrew his hand.

"All right" he said. "You gave me what I wanted, so I'll let you go, but if you tell anyone, I will rip it out. I promise you that."

"I promise I will not divulge this data to anyone."

"Okay, listen, transform into your computer mode."

Monitor complied. Night Rider then put Monitor inside it.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting you outta here."

He flew to the surface with Monitor, jet him out of the box and gave him a jet pack.

"Thank you " monitor began to say. "I ...."

"Get outta here before I change my mind."

Monitor smiled and nodded. Before he could thank Night Rider again, Night Rider had already flown off. Monitor then flew back to Autobot headquarters.

Night Rider told Megatron what Monitor had told him.

"What have you done with the Autobot?"

"He .... he ... escaped, Megatron Just as I was about to terminate him. "

Megatron glared at Night Rider, making him feel quite nervous. "Sorry, Megatron .... I'll .... I'll ...."

"Shut up, Night Rider."

The Decepticons had decided to attack the Autobots, and since they knew Optimus Prime's `plan', they felt quite confident that they would win. To their surprise, they lost the battle. Megatron was puzzled, but also furious. He angrily retreated with the other Decepticons. Later, he barged into Night Rider's room.

"That was not the right plan!!" he yelled.

"The Autobot must have lied, Megatron."

"You should have checked. Autobots don't lie often, but they do when they have to. I can't believe how stupid you were...."

"I'm not stupid!" protested Night Rider. "It wasn't my fault."

"Don't you dare argue with me!" boomed Megatron.

Night Rider could scarcely hold his temper.

"Why not?"

"I am your leader. I want you to capture another Autobot, and...."

"I'm sick of capturing blasted Autobots. Get someone else to do it. I've done three already!"

"DON'T YOU DARE YELL AT ME!!"

"WHY NOT?!"

Megatron then blasted Night Rider three times in his chest. Night Rider fell onto the floor in pain. He put his arm up.

"Don't ...."

"And why not? You insolent son of a ...."

"I'm s.... sorry, Megatron ..... I've just had enough of interrogating Autobots for now. I'm sorry .... I lost control. I ...."

Megatron pointed his fusion cannon closer, almost poking Night Rider in the face. Night Rider backed away, terrified.

"Do not do it again."

Megatron abruptly removed his fusion cannon and left Night Rider's room without saying another word. Night Rider breathed a sigh of relief. He then started to tidy a few things in his room.

A few months later, the Decepticons had discovered a new form of energy emulating deep within their home planet of Cybertron.

"We must get that energy," said Megatron, with determination, "before the Autobots learn of its existence."

The Decepticons planned their journey to Cybertron.

"Astrotrain," said Megatron, "I want you to fly to Autobot headquarters with Soundwave to jam Teletraan I. With Teletraan non-functional, the Autobots will not be able to detect the use of our space bridge."

Astrotrain did as he was commanded, and returned about half an hour later, reporting that the mission was successful.

"Excellent ...." came Megatron's voice, in that smooth, but evil tone. "Now, we shall seize the energy and destroy the accursed Autobots at long last ...."

The Decepticons then activated their space bridge, and were greeted by Shockwave on Cybertron.

"We cannot afford to take any risks" said Megatron.

He assigned over half the Decepticons to guard duty.

"Destroy any Autobots you see. They will not stop us this time."

Night Rider was one of the Decepticons whom Megatron assigned to guard duty in a specific spot. When Megatron left, Night Rider looked around. He felt strange. For some reason, he felt knew this place, and wasn't sure how or why. The place seemed to remind him of something and he wasn't sure what. Something from long ago, of ages long passed, of voices long silenced. Night Rider started to become uneasy and began to fidget.

"Why am I scared?" he asked himself in a very soft voice. "There's nothing here to be afraid of ...."

Despite his reassurance, the sting of uneasiness remained. Night Rider tried not to think about it. He began detecting an Autobot. "You're history, Autobot ...." he snarled, turning around, but there was no one there.

Night Rider was puzzled. He stood still for a few seconds, then lowered his gun. His sensors detected an Autobot, but his eyes could not. Night Rider walked in the direction where the signals seemed to become stronger. "They're coming from that hole .... The Autobot must be hiding." Night Rider blasted away at the blocked entrance. "There's no escape, Autobot...."

Night Rider walked into the underground cave. He felt a shiver run up his spine, as if he was surrounded by ghosts. Night Rider looked down as he stepped on some metal. He saw Autobot parts everywhere on the ground.

"My sensors must've been picking us this dead Autobot...."

Night Rider kicked one of the parts. "Wonder who it was?" He looked again at the parts, then he saw a small metal box. He picked it up and was utterly astounded when he saw his name engraved on it. The uneasiness returned.

Night Rider cautiously opened the box. A 3-D hologram projectile shot out of it

Night Rider.....

We had so much fun together. I loved being with you. You always were so kind, so gentle and always stuck up for and protected me whenever I needed you. You were always there when I needed you. We went just about everywhere together. We spent so much time with each other. I didn't know what I'd do without you .... I love you. When the Decepticons attacked and you went missing, I thought that they might have hurt or even killed you. I was so worried. When I saw you, I couldn't describe my relieved feelings in words. I ran to you like a speeding spacecraft. Then you told me you had joined the Decepticons. I could not believe it. I also couldn't understand. Why, Night Rider? ..... Have I ever done anything wrong? Please forgive me if I have. You knew exactly how much I cared about and loved you, but you showed none of it, as if you had forgotten we were once best friends. That hurt me more than anything, Night Rider. I couldn't describe my feelings. You knew exactly how I felt, even though you didn't seem to care. Why, Night Rider? ...... Please come back to me..... Please ...... I wanted to be with you, but you wouldn't let me. You hurt me more than you could ever imagine and treated me like scrap metal. If you ever find this message which I doubt, you'll realize that's all I am, now - scrap metal. I can't live without you, Night Rider .... I love you ....

The hologram shimmered, then disappeared.

 

Night Rider didn't know what to say - or think. He looked again at the yellow parts on the ground.

"Saturn? .... Saturn? ...."

Night Rider had totally forgotten all about him - until now. Now he remembered everything.

"Saturn ....."

Night Rider looked at Saturn's parts all over the ground.

"I remember now, Saturn."

Night Rider flashed back millions of years ago, to the time he was friends with Saturn. It seemed like so long ago. It was so long ago. He remembered the fun times he had with his friend - and also remembered how he had neglected him and joined the Decepticons. Night Rider remembered just how cruel and impersonal he had been towards Saturn since then.

"I must've hurt him so much ....."

A few tears rolled down Night Rider's cheeks. He was surprised at first, but then let them flow.

"I'm sorry ...." he wailed sadly, shaking his head. "I didn't care then, but I do now ...."

Night Rider knelt down and examined the remains of Saturn. He found the remains of an exploded bomb inside his torso.

"He .... he killed himself ..... How could I have done this to him?? He was my best friend. I feel terrible ...."

Night Rider wanted to repair Saturn if it was the last thing he ever did. He gathered all of his parts and put them into a medium sized metal container, which he found nearby. He then picked it up and walked out of the cave.

"I remember this place now ...." he said to himself. "Saturn and I used to come here all the time .... That's why it was scary. I did remember it, but I wasn't sure how or why, and Saturn's body was down there. That's why I felt so uneasy. I was feeling him. Feeling Saturn's presence ....."

A tear rolled down Night Rider's cheek. He quickly wiped it away, when Megatron's voice sounded over his communicator.

"Did you detect any intruding Autobots?"

"Negative, Sir. All clear. Was our mission accomplished? Did you succeed in obtaining the energy?"

"Affirmative, but it was a waste of energy getting it. The energy is powerful if used on a planetary scale, but as individuals, it is highly unstable and cannot be used. Return to the space bridge."

The Decepticons returned to Earth, feeling angry at their mistake. Night Rider, personally, didn't give a damn. He rushed to his room, locked the door and began to repair Saturn. He obtained some materials and substances from the repair bay.

"I hope I do this right .... Saturn's life depends on it...."

Night Rider spent days secretly repairing Saturn. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he had Saturn's body back together.

"I hope I've done this properly ....."

Night Rider then tried to reactivate Saturn, but it was no use. He tried again. Still to no avail.

" Don't do this to me, Saturn, please ..... Damn! It's my fault. I did this to me. I did it to you. You were always there for me, even when I didn't want you, and I wasn't there for you when you needed me the most .... I'm sorry, Saturn...."

Night Rider wiped tears away. He remembered when he had interrogated Saturn, back on Cybertron.

"I lied to you ....." he said, sadly. "I said I'd be your friend again if you told me the plans. You didn't hesitate. You told me everything. You loved me so much, even when I didn't want to have anything to do with you. I wasn't sorry then, but I am now. I remember the look on your face when I said 'I lied --' I can't describe how much horror, heartbreak and shock was in it. I may not have been your friend then, but I am now. I wish I'd felt this way then, but it's a bit late for that now. Saturn, I want you to know, I'll always be your friend."

Night Rider couldn't describe how heartbroken and guilty he felt. He wiped the tears away and tried to reactivate Saturn again and again. All his attempts were futile.

"No, Saturn .... please ....."

Night Rider stared up at the ceiling.

"I HATE MYSELF!!!!"

He then sat roughly down, crying and thinking for hours about anything he could do for Saturn. He suddenly perked up with an idea. He sniffed and dried his tears.

"I can't ask any of the Decepticons to help me .... But I can ask the Autobots .... They'll repair him if they can, but they'll never trust me. Not after what I did. Perhaps they've forgotten ..... I doubt it .... What if they think the whole thing is a hoax? ..... Nevertheless, I have to try."

Night Rider had to disassemble Saturn, in order to fit him into the medium sized metal container. He then walked out of his room and was passed by Megatron.

"What are you carrying inside that container, Night Rider?"

Night Rider hesitated.

"Uhh .... some spare parts, Megatron. I'm throwing them out. They're useless."

Satisfied with Night Rider's explanation, Megatron continued walking in the opposite direction. Night Rider sighed with relief. He then started to fly to Autobot headquarters.

"How can I tell them? .... They'll think it's a cruel lie and they won't believe that I'm ashamed of what I did, but I'm going through with it. I owe it to Saturn."

"Decepticon breaching radar security, Optimus Prime," informed Teletraan I.

"Give me a visual."

Optimus Prime saw Night Rider flying down, holding the container.

"It's probably a bomb or explosive of some kind. Exercise extreme caution."

Night Rider landed outside Autobot headquarters. Optimus Prime was standing at the entrance with Trailbreaker. Trailbreaker fired his forceshield.

"There" said Optimus. "Now he can't activate the bomb, without blowing himself up."

Night Rider was unsuccessful in attempting to break out of Trailbreaker's forceshield.

Optimus approached Night Rider. "What is in that container you are holding?" he demanded. "Is it a bomb? "

"Negative, Prime," replied Night Rider, truthfully. "It's not a bomb or anything of that nature."

Optimus Prime was still dubious. He signaled Trailbreaker to release Night Rider. Trailbreaker complied. Optimus then quickly took the container from Night Rider's hands, put an energon band around his wrists and led him inside Autobot headquarters. Night Rider knew he could try to struggle free, but decided against that. He had not come to the Autobots to escape from them. He had come for a reason. A very important reason. A chance for life. Saturn's life. Optimus took him into the main control room. Almost all the Autobot were in there.

"You told me it was not a bomb" said Optimus Prime to Night Rider, "but can I be certain? What is in the container?"

Night Rider felt uneasy, but he also felt he had to tell them. He slowly told the Autobots what was in the container. None of them believed him. Some even had difficulty recalling who Saturn was. Optimus Prime glared at Night Rider.

"We have not seen Saturn since the war started - Over nine million years ago. He ran away one day and never came back. Do you expect us to believe ...."

"I know what happened to him" interrupted Night Rider. "He...."

"Enough of your lies" snapped Optimus Prime, angrily. "I know you were once friends with Saturn - best friends, but not anymore. When you joined the Decepticons, you shut him out of your life. Have you any idea what that did to him? How much you hurt him? ..... I suppose it makes no difference. You don't care."

"I realize, and I do care now."

"I'm sorry" said Optimus." I can't believe that. You lied to him and now you're lying to me."

"I'm not ..... I ...."

"Shut up" snapped Optimus. "For all we know - you probably killed him."

"I promise I didn't."

"Decepticons have a habit of breaking promises .... Can you prove you did not kill him?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"With this."

Night Rider handed Optimus Prime the hologram projectile.

Optimus watched the hologram.

A tear rolled down his cheek. He wiped it away.

"This does seem like Saturn. This is exactly how he felt about you, Night Rider, but how do we know it's genuine?

"I had totally forgotten about him until I saw that, Prime." Optimus Prime checked the Date on the hologram. It was genuine. "This does prove you did not kill him, but it does not prove you still care about him after all this time, not after how much you hurt him."

Night Rider nodded. "I understand, Prime."

"I still do not believe you."

"Well look in the box, then" snapped Night Rider, fighting to control his anger.

"I am not entirely certain this container contains Saturn's remains" said Optimus Prime. "How do I know it's not a rigged bomb? I don't want my face blown off the second I open it."

"I'll open the damn thing!!" yelled Night Rider. "It's not a f'ing bomb!" Night Rider angrily opened the container. "You see?"

The Autobots saw Saturn's parts inside.

"Perhaps I was being too cautious" said Optimus, "but one can never be too careful with Decepticons. Once it seems as if you can trust them, you really can't trust them at all."

"I understand, Prime, but I am telling you the truth. I told you the truth about what was in the container - and it's the truth that I care about Saturn."

"I don't know that, Night Rider ....I still don't believe that. We're going to have to keep you here."

Night Rider felt a little uneasy of what the Autobots were going to do to him ,but let Optimus Prime lead him away.

Out of the corner of his optical sensor, Night Rider saw the entrance to Autobot headquarters - open. He violently jerked free of Optimus Prime's grip and ran for it. Optimus quickly adjusted his laser rifle to stun and blasted after him. Night Rider dodged the blasts and ran out of Autobot headquarters. He quickly took off and flew away. It was rather uncomfortable, as he still had the energon band around his wrists.

"We have to go after him" said Optimus Prime. "Aerialbots --"

"Roger, Prime - We'll get him" assured Silverbolt, transforming into his Concorde mode and took off with the other four.

Night Rider knew he was telling the truth, but, frightened because the Autobots didn't believe him. He had no idea what they were going to do to him.

"At least I got away ...."

Too soon. The Aerialbots caught up with him, and before he knew it, Night Rider was dodging blasts.

"You won't get away" assured Silverbolt.

Night Rider knew it. They were much faster than him in their airborne modes and they had weapons, which he didn't. He was blasted by Skydive in his side. Night Rider painfully crashed onto the ground. He was frightened. The energon band around his wrists was hurting. He saw the Aerialbots coming after him. He quickly crawled away from them as they ran to him and tried to grab him. Night Rider scrambled into a nearby small cave.

"You don't give up, do ya?" asked Fireflight, firing into the cave after him.

Night Rider yelped, as the blast hit his leg. He stayed in the cave. Fireflight blasted into it again, hitting Night Rider in his chest. Night Rider gasped with pain.

"Ohh .... st...op ....." stuttered Night Rider. "Don't sho...oot .... please ...."

"Come out and we promise not to hurt you" assured Silverbolt.

"You'll take me prisoner" said Night Rider, shivering.

"I can't deny that" said Silverbolt, "but I promise not to hurt you."

Night Rider hesitated for a while. He then scrambled out of the cave, as fast as he could go, bowling Silverbolt over. Night Rider was absolutely frantic, petrified. The Aerialbots then chased after him. Night Rider continued to scramble away from them. He was so petrified, he paid absolutely no attention to where he was going. He tumbled down a large steep hill and kept on going. He came to a large metal fence, with no ending in sight. Night Rider was petrified. He saw the Aerialbots closing in on him. He ripped a hole in the fence and scrambled through it. The opening was quite small and the jagged sharp edges ripped through his front. Night Rider howled in pain, but continued to scrabble away in perpetual fear, determined not to get caught. The jagged edge ripped one of his hands off, as well as the energon band. The Aerialbots arrived at the fence Silverbolt squinted at the sight of Night Rider's blood. "He must be absolutely petrified. He's practically ripping himself apart to get away from us. Quickly. We have to get him before he kills himself."

The Aerialbots transformed into their airborne modes and flew over the fence. Night Rider heard them and became even more petrified. He tried to scramble away faster, but it was not doing any good. The faster he went, the more it hurt. His skin was already split, and he was having trouble keeping himself together. He was losing vast amounts of blood. Night Rider was also low on energy and very weak. The Aerialbots transformed into their robot modes and surrounded him. There was no way for him to escape. He looked up at them in terror.

"No ...." he wailed, crying. "Please ....."

"We have to take you back to Autobot headquarters" said Skydive.

"No ..... Optimus Prime will kill me ....."

Silverbolt could see exactly how petrified Night Rider was, and felt sorry for him.

"Optimus will not hurt you" he assured.

Silverbolt then adjusted his electrostatic discharger on mild stun and pointed it at Night Rider.

"NO!!! Don't shoot! .... Please don't shoot ...."

He tried desperately to get away, but the four other Aerialbots prevented him.

"It's set on stun" said Silverbolt, but Night Rider was too frightened to hear him.

"Don't ...." he wailed.

"Listen" said Silverbolt, "you're hurt and very frightened. We are not going to harm you, I promise."

Silverbolt then shot him.

"The stun blast should wear off soon" he said. "Quick. Let's get back to Autobot headquarters. He needs immediate repair."

Upon arriving at Autobot headquarters, Night Rider regained consciousness. Silverbolt was carrying him and quickly took him to Optimus Prime. Silverbolt handed Night Rider to Optimus.

"NO!!!" screamed Night Rider, frantically. "PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!! ...."

"Relax ..... I'm not going to kill you," calmed Optimus, gently. "I promise."

Night Rider was too busy screaming and trying to struggle away, and in too much pain to hear Optimus' comforting words.

"I promise I won't hurt you" said Optimus, gently, but louder. "I want to help you."

Night Rider still wouldn't listen. Optimus held him firmly in his arms and took him to the repair bay.

"No ...." wailed Night Rider. "What are you going to do to me? ...."

"Repair you" answered Optimus Prime. "You're badly wounded."

"No .... no .... You want to disassemble me for spare parts!"

Night Rider was in tears.

"No" said Optimus Prime. "I would never do that to anyone. I promise. I can assure you, Night Rider, we have more than enough spare parts, and even if we didn't, I would never disassemble a sentient being."

Night Rider still didn't trust Optimus Prime. He frantically scrambled off the repair bed with perpetual fear as Optimus Prime came towards him. Night Rider tore some more of his skin on the corner. He was bleeding heavily. Optimus Prime did not like the sight of Night Rider's blood everywhere, but felt he had to repair him.

"Even though he is my enemy, I can't let him suffer like this...."

Optimus gently picked Night Rider up. Night Rider by this time was too weak to try to struggle away. Optimus carefully put him on the bed, and picked up a Cyber-Needle.

"No .... no ..... NO!!! .... please ...." begged Night Rider.

"It won't kill you" promised Optimus Prime. "It'll only make you unconscious."

"It will kill me" said Night Rider, shivering, "well at least I won't feel any pain while you're disassembling me...."

"I'm not going to disassemble you" promised Optimus Prime.

"Yes you are" accused Night Rider weakly. "Why don't you do it while I'm still alive? Pain. That's what you want me to feel. You won't get that satisfaction when I'm dead."

"That is not our way, Night Rider. I am an Autobot. We do not hurt or kill our enemies, unless there is a dire need to. I help enemies if they are in need, and you are in need now."

"I need someone to repair me, not disassemble me...."

"I am going to repair you."

Optimus walked closer to Night Rider with the needle.

"No .... please ....."

Night Rider started crying again, and weakly trying to struggle free. Optimus held him still and injected the serum into Night Rider's neck. In a few seconds, he was unconscious.

"The poor thing ...." thought Optimus, sympathetically. "He's terrified ...."

Optimus didn't waste any time in starting to repair him. He first cleaned away all the blood and then began to repair Night Rider's insides, which, were quite damaged, but in fact, not as bad as it looked. The wounds were severe, but not all that difficult to repair. Optimus finished inside Night Rider, and then started to weld together, his split metal skin. Night Rider had lost a lot of blood. Optimus waited until his blood level had returned to normal, before re-energizing him. That took a while. Night Rider slowly sat up.

"How are you feeling?" asked Optimus Prime.

"Fine."

"I told you I wasn't going to kill you."

Night Rider looked straight at Optimus Prime.

"I knew that ...." he said quickly, embarrassed.

"It's natural to feel frightened" said Optimus. "It's also natural to panic on occasion, but you must be careful, Night Rider. You almost killed yourself. You were terrified ..... "

"I feel like an idiot."

Optimus Prime smiled. "You're not an idiot. Just remember - Autobots do not kill."

"I know that, Prime. I must've really been losin' it ..."

Optimus smiled again. "We'll have to keep you here, until we sort out Saturn. We promise not to harm you, but we ...."

"I understand, Prime."

Optimus nodded. "Thank you."

He lead Night Rider to a prison cell. To Night Rider's surprise, the prison cells of Autobot headquarters were larger and more luxurious than that of Decepticon headquarters.

Optimus Prime joined the other Autobots in the main control room. They looked at Saturn's remains in the container."

"We must try to repair him, if we can" said Optimus Prime. "After all, these may not be Saturn's actual remains. Night Rider could've been lying about that too."

Optimus picked up the container and took it to the repair bay. He arranged Saturn's parts in order. Optimus looked sympathetically at them.

"I hope its really Saturn ....." he said quietly to himself, "and not a Decepticon hoax ...."

Optimus Prime then began to repair Saturn.

He worked for days and days .... Optimus felt extremely sorry for Saturn.

"He was so heartbroken .... so frightened ..... so alone.... I wish I could have comforted him .... helped him in some way, but then only Night Rider could have done that at the time, and Night Rider had totally resented him, only he could have helped Saturn then, but it's up to me to help him now."

Optimus finally, after days of hard work, had all Saturn's outer body and internal mechanisms and organs repaired.

"I hope everything's going to be all right ...."

Optimus slowly began to reenergize Saturn. At first, it wasn't working. Optimus fiddled around with Saturn's circuits and the life support machine. Saturn seemed to be reactivating properly.

Optimus Prime patiently waited, waited ..... waited and waited. He then turned up the power a fraction.

"I don't want to give him too much power .... He's been dead for so long, the shock to his system may render him irreparable. It may kill him - again."

Optimus Prime patiently waited for a few more hours. Still nothing happened. Optimus stood up and turned the life support machine to half power, and waited again, all through the night.

The morning after nothing had happened, Optimus turned up the power a little more. He waited all day, all night and all through the next day.

Finally, the life support machine gave a small bleep. Optimus Prime jerked and looked at it. The straight line was starting to go a little wavy. Optimus couldn't describe his feelings. A tear rolled slowly down his cheek.

"Saturn ..... it is you .... You're alive ....."

Saturn, on the repair bed, sat up, with a jolt and nervously looked around him. He was shivering, not realizing where he was or what was happening. He then saw Optimus Prime. Optimus could see he was very frightened. He stood up and slowly walked towards him.

"Don't be frightened, Saturn. I promise I'm not going to hurt you."

Saturn calmed a little.

"Who .... who are you? ...."

"Optimus Prime."

" Optimus .... Prime ...." repeated Saturn slowly. "Autobot leader?"

"Yes" said Optimus gently. "It's been a long time."?

"How long?"

"Over five million years."

Saturn gasped in shock. He knew a long time had passed, but millions of years?!

Optimus Prime slowly and carefully explained to Saturn what had happened in the war after he died. It was a lot for him to take in, but he managed to. He was a quick learner.

"So much has changed .... We're not on Cybertron anymore..."

"No, we're not, but we do have means to get there. I only wish our war had not spread to Earth ...."

Saturn could see Optimus was upset. Optimus then turned to him and helped him off the bed. Saturn was quite small and rose just above Optimus Prime's knee.

"Night Rider was telling the truth ...." Optimus thought. "These were Saturn's parts. What he told me was true. He hasn't lied about a thing yet, but he also said he still cared about him ..... I cannot believe that. I just can't believe he suddenly cares about him now."

Optimus Prime didn't tell Saturn anything about Night Rider being their prisoner.

Optimus looked down at Saturn and walked out of the repair bay with him. Saturn was greeted by all the Autobots, old and new. They introduced and re-introduced themselves to him. Saturn smiled at them, but didn't say much. He was shy, but grateful to be with his own kind once again.

Saturn remembered everything about Night Rider, and everything they did together. Saturn still wanted to be Night Rider's friend, but knew that was impossible now. He never forgot how Night Rider had treated him when he became a Decepticon. Saturn was still saddened by what happened, but he took a more mature approach.

"There's no way I can change things now ...." he thought sadly. "I don't even know if Night Rider's still alive. Who knows? Maybe I'll find a new friend, an Autobot friend, but they can never be as special as Night Rider once was.

Saturn was upset, but tried his best to forget Night Rider.

Optimus then took him to one of the spare rooms.

"This is your room now" he said. "Would you like anything to eat? You haven't eaten in five million years!"

Saturn smiled, but said, "no thanks, Optimus. I'm not hungry. I'm just very tired. I'd like to rest for a while."

"That's fine. Just call me if you need anything."

"I will. Thanks, Optimus."

"Don't mention it."

Saturn smiled and lay down on to rest.

Optimus Prime walked to Night Rider's prison cell.

"Thank you" he said.

Night Rider was genuinely puzzled.

"Thank me? What for?"

"Saturn. I finally managed to repair him."

Night Rider could not describe how grateful he felt.

"C.... Can I please see him, Prime?"

Optimus hesitated for a moment.

"What you told me about Saturn was true - They were his parts, but I can't believe you still actually care for him all this time - After what .... "

"Prime, I'm a Decepticon. I'm supposed to hate Autobots. I gave you his parts so you could repair him. Why would a Decepticon want to save an Autobot?"

"I don't know, but you Decepticons always have some type of scheme or plan."

"I wish I hadn't hurt him, Prime. I wish I hadn't done that now. I feel guilty. I feel awful. I feel I have to repay him, now can I please see him?"

"No" answered Optimus Prime. "He's resting at the moment, and he still feels upset about what happened back on Cybertron. I want him to settle in, before matters get complicated. He's got a lot to learn."

"I understand, Prime" said Night Rider, and he truly did.

"I still care about him .... I really do ...."

Optimus looked at Night Rider. "I wish I could believe that."

Night Rider felt angry, but also felt he couldn't blame, Optimus. Optimus Prime had no further reason to keep Night Rider as a prisoner and freed him.

Saturn was feeling a little better. He wasn't feeling tired anymore. He stood up and walked out of his room. He walked around not really sure of where he was going, as he didn't know his way around. Optimus Prime saw him.

"Saturn, are you feeling all right?"

Saturn looked up and nodded. "I'm okay." Saturn hesitated. "I'm not too sure of where I'm going. Can you please show me around here?"

"Sure, Saturn."

Optimus Prime took his hand and began showing him around. Saturn took everything in quite well.

A few days later, a battle was raging between the Autobots and Decepticons. Optimus Prime had told Saturn he didn't have to fight if he didn't want to.

"Saturn," he said, "I wish we didn't have to fight, but in a war, it's inevitable. Here's a gun. I'm not forcing you to use it, but you may need it for self defence."

Saturn took it from him. "Thank you, Optimus."

Optimus left to fight in the battle, not because he wanted to, because he had to.

Saturn did not want to fight. He stayed in the entrance to Autobot headquarters.

During the battle, Night Rider saw Saturn standing alone in the entrance.

"He's all right ...." he whispered.

A tear rolled down his cheek. He wanted to run to him and hug him, but he couldn't let anyone see him. And he didn't know how Saturn would feel. Night Rider pretended to get shot and let himself fall into a crevice.

"I have to apologise to him .... I treated him like scrap metal ....I was so horrible to him .... The things I did were so low... He probably hates me now ... But I have to apologise to him ...."

After the battle, Night Rider crawled out of the crevice. He saw Saturn, sitting in the entrance to Autobot headquarters, holding the gun in his hand.

"He'd probably shoot me if I went to him. Can I blame him?"

Night Rider quietly left.

Night Rider sat in his room and lay down. Megatron came into his room.

"What are you doing, Night Rider?"

Night Rider turned around. "Nothing, Megatron. I'm just tired, that's all."

"Reenergize at once. I want you to assist the Stunticons on a mission."

Megatron then briefed him on the mission. Night Rider re-energised and left to join the Stunticons on the mission.

All Night Rider could think about was Saturn.

"Hey, Night Rider ...." called Motormaster, irritated, "we're supposed to be on a mission here. Stop daydreaming, or I'll report you to Megatron."

Night Rider pulled himself back to where he was.

"No .... Don't do that .... I'm sorry, I was thinking about something ...."

"Well, think about the mission and improve your progress."

"Yes, Motormaster."

Night Rider did his best, but still couldn't help thinking about Saturn.

Motormaster soon forgot about his threat and said nothing to Megatron. Night Rider was quite relieved.

Saturn, walked to the main entrance of Autobot headquarters. He sat down and looked around him. Earth was a very different world from his home Cybertron, but from what he could see, he thought it was beautiful.

Optimus Prime saw Saturn, sitting all alone and he walked to him.

"Saturn, is everything all right?"

Saturn looked up at Optimus. "I'm okay, Prime. I was just thinking about Cybertron. It's so different from Earth, but Earth is a beautiful planet too."

"I agree, Saturn. Earth is very beautiful."

"Optimus, can I go for a drive to explore?"

"Of course you can, but be careful of the Deceptions."

Saturn nodded. "I will, Optimus. Thanks."

Saturn transformed and drove off into the distance.

He spent hours driving around - the cities and country. He spent quite a lot of time in lush green country. He preferred the more relaxed countryside.

He drove to a quiet beach and drove closer to the water. He sat down in the sand. He let it trickle through his fingers and ran his hand along the sand.

Night Rider was driving toward a quiet beach he knew of. He had been driving for some time. He slowed down when he could see the water brimming on the horizon.

Night Rider came to a dead stop.

"Oh my god .... is that Saturn?"

It was.

"This is my perfect opportunity to apologize to him ... I hope he will accept ...."

Night Rider slowly drove towards Saturn and transformed.

Saturn, hearing the transformation sound, started to look up. His eyes looked slowly upwards at the newcomer. He jerked in utter shock when he saw who it was. Saturn's eyes widened and he stared. He didn't know if he was grateful to see him after all this time or scared.

Saturn suddenly remembered the last thing Night Rider had said to him: `If I ever see you again, I'll personally kill you.'

Saturn became terrified and began to scramble away.

"Saturn .... wait .... I'm not going to hurt you."

Saturn hesitated, but then he remembered how many times Night Rider had lied to him - and he also remembered that Night Rider hated him. He saw Night Rider holding his gun in his hand and became more frightened. Saturn ran away.

Night Rider ran after him. Saturn slipped and Night Rider caught up to him.

"No .... no ....." wailed Saturn.

Saturn was terrified and started to cry. He tried to scramble away, but Night Rider stopped him. Saturn frantically made a desperate attempt to struggle away, but it was no use.

"Listen, Saturn .... Don't be frightened. I'm not going to hurt you."

Saturn wanted to believe Night Rider, but felt he couldn't after what Night Rider had done to him. He was still very uneasy and frightened. Night Rider could see that.

"I promise I won't hurt you ...."

"But .... you said you would kill me if you ever saw me again....."

Night Rider had to think back.

"That was a long time ago, Saturn. I'd forgotten about it ... Forgotten about you .... I haven't seen you for so long ... I...."

"Optimus Prime repaired me."

"I know."

Saturn was confused. "But how could you?"

Night Rider began to explain.

"On Cybertron, my scanners detected an Autobot ...."

Saturn listened, without interruption or contradiction.

"I found your letter, Saturn .... The one you put in the box with my name on it."

"I remember" said Saturn. "It's as clear as crystal. You may have found me, but ...."

"I then gathered your parts and tried to repair you back on Earth. I couldn't, so then I took you to the Autobots, hoping they would be able to repair you ...."

"I'm not sure I believe that, Night Rider ... I'd love to, but I'm not sure."

"Please believe me, Saturn. It's the truth. I'm so sorry about what I did to you and how I treated you. I'm sorry. I want to be your friend again ...."

Saturn hesitated for a while.

"I'm sorry, but I can't believe that, Night Rider .... You used me ... You pretended to be my friend just to get Autobot plans. You used me to betray my friends. Have you any idea how much that hurt me? ...."

"Yes, I do, Saturn, now ... I'm so sorry. I'm really, really sorry."

"I can't believe that, Night Rider."

"I understand how you feel, Saturn, but please try."

"NO!! I CAN'T!! I HATE YOU!!!"

The words hit Night Rider like a lightning bolt. He looked away, then at the ground. A tear rolled down his cheek. He gently touched Saturn. Saturn moved away. Night Rider took hold of his arm and pulled him a little closer. Saturn violently tried to struggle away, not realizing how gentle Night Rider was. Night Rider let him go and took out his gun. Saturn gasped, frightened. Night Rider looked at him.

"You killed yourself because I hated you, now I will do the same."

Night Rider pointed the gun at his head. Saturn didn't know whether he was bluffing or not. he remained silent. Night Rider started to pull back on the trigger. Saturn, in a fit of confusion, jumped onto Night Rider, pulling the gun away. The blast shot his hand.

"You .... you would've killed yourself..." gasped Saturn, astounded, with blood dripping from his hand.

Night Rider nodded. "Why did you stop me?"

Saturn was silent for a moment.

"I didn't believe you .... I'm sorry .... I'm so sorry..."

Saturn couldn't hold back his tears. "You would've died because of me..."

"As you did for me."

Night Rider stood up. "You shouldn't've done that."

Saturn looked up at his friend. "I didn't know whet else to do. I was young then and that was a long time ago. "

Night Rider smiled. "At least you believe me now... Saturn what I did to you...all those terrible things...I can't even begin to apologize."

Saturn nodded. "I understand, Night Rider." He then paused. "I forgive you, Night Rider."

Night Rider wasn't sure he heard correctly.

"What? .... Forgive me? "

Saturn nodded. "You...yes..."

"But why?...After all I've..."

"Night Rider you regret that and that's all that matters to me..."

Night Rider looked at his friend.

"I'm very grateful to you, Saturn, but that does not stop the guilt. I really want to kill myself. I deserve it."

"No you don't, Night Rider. You said you were sorry and you really meant it. I still feel hurt by what you did, but I forgive you."

"Thank you."

Night Rider gently hugged his friend and Saturn hugged him back.

There was nothing said for some time, while the two were walking along the seaside.

"Saturn," said Night Rider at last, "I want to join the Autobots."

Saturn stopped, considering. "If you are willing to respect the Autobot Code and the ways of the Autobots, I guess you can, but you've been a Decepticon for so long...you may have forgotten...and you made the choice to join the Decepticons."

Night Rider nodded. "I wish I never made that choice. It was a .... A mistake would be a gross understatement."

Saturn looked up at his friend.

"If it was up to me, I'd allow you to join, but it's up to Optimus Prime."

Night Rider nodded and kept his fingers crossed. He drove to Autobot Headquarters with Saturn.

"I sure miss these drives, Saturn."

"Me too, Night Rider."

They arrived at Autobot Headquarters. Saturn drove inside and found Optimus Prime.

"Optimus," he began, "I went out and ..."

Saturn slowly and carefully explained to Optimus Prime what had happened.

"I know how you feel about Night Rider, Saturn," cautioned Optimus. " Are you sure he's telling the truth?"

Saturn nodded. "Yes, Prime, I am. He almost killed himself. If I hadn't stopped him, he would have."

Saturn showed Optimus his hand. Optimus saw the blast wound.

"I want to believe you, Saturn and the proof you've shown me is adequate. I see no reason why Night Rider can't join us, but I'll have to talk to the others about it."

Some of the Autobots believed Night Rider, but some were dubious.

"He's been a Decepticon for so long, Prime," cautioned Ironhide. "I know he was once an Autobot, and I want to believe him, but ...."

"I know how you feel, Ironhide," said Saturn. "I felt the same way at first, but he's telling the truth. I can feel it."

Saturn began explaining to the other Autobots. A while later, they began trusting Night Rider more, and if any of them had any objections, about Night Rider joining the Autobots, they kept them to themselves.

"Where is Night Rider now?" Optimus asked Saturn.

"He's waiting outside."

Optimus was surprised, but began to walk to the entrance to Autobot headquarters. Optimus Prime turned to Saturn.

"Saturn, I would like to see Night Rider alone."

Saturn nodded. "Okay. I'll be in my quarters."

Night Rider was nervous, as if he was going for a job interview.

"Night Rider," said Optimus Prime, "Before you become an Autobot, I need you to swear to be loyal to our cause and what we stand for."

"I swear, Prime."

Optimus went on to say, "you've been a Decepticon for most of your life. Are you completely sure you want to become an Autobot?"

"Yes, Optimus Prime." Night Rider was sincere. "Millions of years ago, I made the choice to join the Decepticons. A choice which I now deeply regret."

Night Rider ripped off his Decepticon insignia, spat on it and threw it away. Optimus nodded.

"Come inside" he said.

Optimus gave Night Rider an Autobot insignia. Night Rider placed it where his Decepticon insignia had been. He was extremely proud of it.

"It sure feels good to be wearing this symbol again. Thanks, Optimus. I promise I won't let you down."

Optimus Prime smiled. There was still quite a lot Night Rider had to learn, but this was a promising beginning.

A powerful blast shook Autobot headquarters. The Autobots were unprepared for a Decepticon attack.

"You stay here, Night Rider," said Optimus Prime. "You're low on energy and we don't have any more supplies."

"But, Prime, we're losing .... We need all the help we can get and besides, I want to fight ...."

"I know it'd be an new and exciting experience for you, fighting on our side for a change, but if the Decepticons see you, they'll want to destroy you and you won't have enough energy to defend yourself."

"Prime, I'll be okay. I'll dodge their blasts. I'll be fine."

"I've seen you in battle, Night Rider, I know you're quite agile, but I'm sorry. I can't let you fight today. It's so risky."

"Prime, I'll be okay."

"No, Night Rider .... Look, imagine how Saturn would feel if you were killed."

Night Rider took a moment, considering.

"I hadn't thought of that. I'm sorry."

Optimus nodded. "It's okay," he said, gently.

He then left to join the battle, to defend the headquarters, but more importantly, his friends.

Night Rider walked away. Three Autobots, Skyfire Cliffjumper and Hound were on their way out to join the battle.

"Why aren't you out there?" asked Cliffjumper, hostility in his voice.

Night Rider began to explain. Cliffjumper folded his arms in disgust.

"Oh yeah .... sure .... Whatever you say .... I bet you had something to do with this surprise attack ...."

Night Rider defended his innocence. "I didn't. I swear. I had nothing to do with ...."

"Shut up, you filthy Decepticon liar!" snapped Cliffjumper.

"I'm not lying " insisted Night Rider.

"Prove it" said Hound.

"Ask Optimus Prime. Ask Saturn."

"Saturn wants to believe you more than anything, even if it means believing your lies."

"But I'm not...."

Cliffjumper continued, "and Optimus Prime so desperately wants this war to end - actually we all do, but it sometimes clouds his judgment."

"Listen, Cliffjumper, I can assure you ...."

"I don't wanna hear another word ....You leaked information to the Decepticons, and that's how they were able to pull this surprise attack."

"How could I have given them any information? I was with Saturn and then Optim...."

"You're a filthy Decepticon spy" said Hound, disgusted.

"I am not, I .... Why won't you believe me?"

There was silence for a moment as the three Autobots fixed their eyes on him. Night Rider felt uncomfortable. Cliffjumper violently pushed Night Rider onto the floor and pointed his glass-gas gun at him.

" Don't shoot ...."

"Give me one good reason why he shouldn't" said Hound.

Night Rider was getting angry, but kept his cool. "I told you, I'm telling the truth."

"And we don't believe you" said Skyfire.

Cliffjumper shot near Night Rider. Night Rider shifted out of the way, quickly. Skyfire kicked him as he tried to stand up.

"Don't ...."

"Why not?" Skyfire kicked him in his stomach.

"Please .... it hurts .... " Night Rider put his hand over his stomach.

"And you think what you did to Saturn didn't?"

"I know it did, but ...."

"But what?"

"But I didn't realize or care then. I didn't know what I was doing. I do now. I deeply regret what I did to him. I wish I could rewind time and make everything all right."

"That's a fine argument - if you were telling the truth."

"But I am .... " insisted Night Rider.

Skyfire kicked him again.

"Do..on't ... please...."

"I don't see why I shouldn't."

Skyfire gestured to Cliffjumper. Cliffjumper pointed his gun at Night Rider.

Night Rider sat up. "Don't shoot, I ...."

Cliffjumper fired. The blast hit Night Rider in the chest. The blast not only hurt him, but made his metal skin as brittle as glass. Night Rider scrambled out of the way as Skyfire tried to kick him. He managed to avoid the three Autobots, until the effect wore off. Cliffjumper aimed and fired, hitting Night Rider again. Skyfire leapt to him, grabbed him threw him to the floor and kicked him. Night Rider's brittle skin began to split and he started bleeding a little.

Skyfire positioned himself to kick Night Rider again.

"Don't! Please!!" exclaimed Night Rider.

Skyfire refrained himself.

"If you were telling us the truth, then why are you so frightened?"

"Wouldn't you be scared in this situation. I've got the three of you ganging up on me, pelting the hell out of me because you all think I'm lying."

"Think you're lying ...." scoffed Cliffjumper. "We know you are."

Cliffjumper aimed his gun at Night Rider to shoot him again. Night Rider tried to escape, but Hound and Skyfire grabbed him. Cliffjumper shot him again. Skyfire then kicked him, quite hard. Night Rider yelped with pain. His skin split further and he began bleeding quite heavily. Skyfire looked down at him, wondering if he had meant to hurt Night Rider as much as he had.

"Please don't ... "gasped Night Rider weakly, "so what if I'm lying ..... I didn't hurt any of you like this ...."

"He's right" said Hound.

Cliffjumper spun around. "What! Anyway who cares about him? He wouldn't give a damn if any of us were in this situation."

Skyfire could see Cliffjumper wanted to shoot Night Rider again.

"Cliffjumper, I know how you feel about the Decepticons, but it is against the Autobot Code to attack an unarmed, helpless enemy."

"I respect the Code, but ...."

"I know, Cliffjumper, but we're not Decepticons. We're not ruthless like them."

Cliffjumper lowered his gun.

"I know .... Sorry, I guess I got a little carried away." He looked down at Night Rider. "I know he's in pain, but I can't care. He didn't care about how much he hurt Saturn .... I mean if he was telling the truth, but .... He probably forced Saturn to tell us ...."

As weak as Night Rider was, he spoke up. "I didn't do that, I promise."

"You can't prove that" said Hound. "And every Decepticons' motto is 'Promises were meant to be broken.'"

"I am not a Decepticon .... anymore."

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe you."

"Then why would I be wearing this symbol?" Night Rider pointed to his Autobot insignia.

"That makes me sick" said Cliffjumper, making absolutely

no attempt to hide the disgust in his voice.

"I wish you would believe me, Cliffjumper, I ...."

"SHUT UP!! I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF YOU!!!"

Night Rider silenced immediately. Cliffjumper violently kicked him. Night Rider was knocked unconscious. Cliffjumper tried to kick him again, but Skyfire held him off.

"Calm down, Cliffjumper. I know what you're feeling and I know he's our enemy, but in accordance to the Autobot Code, we must help an enemy in need. We put him in this situation and we have to repair him."

Skyfire released him. Cliffjumper scowled, but being an Autobot, he respected the Autobot Code. He reluctantly agreed. Skyfire picked up Night Rider and carried him to the repair bay. Skyfire and Hound began to repair him. Cliffjumper just watched.

"Aren't you going to help. The Autobot Code ...."

Cliffjumper glared at Skyfire.

"The Autobot Code does not specifically say that I have to repair him. "

"But you are an Autobot, Cliffjumper, and The Autobot Code is part of us all."

Cliffjumper sighed. "I know that, Skyfire .... But this war was started by the Decepticons and it's gone on for so long. Some of us can't even remember anything else .... My Autobot training tells me one thing, but everything I am tells me another."

Cliffjumper turned away.

"I know it's hard for you, Cliffjumper. It's hard for all of us."

Skyfire and Hound began to repair Night Rider. Cliffjumper gave as little assistance as he could. Frankly he couldn't've cared if Night Rider had died.

Later, Optimus Prime walked into the repair bay.

"I heard Night Rider was wounded in the battle " he said. "I came to see if he was all right."

"He ... he wasn't wounded in the battle ..."

"Then how ....? " Optimus was confused.

Skyfire took a deep breath. "We did it, Prime ..."

"What?!"

"How do we know he's telling the truth?" asked Cliffjumper skeptically. "I mean he's been a Decepticon for millions of years..."

Night Rider looked at Optimus and could see he was looking doubtful.

"Look! I'll f'ing well prove I'm innocent!"

Night Rider stormed out of the headquarters in high dungeon, into the heat of the battle. He angrily looked around and began blasting at any 'Cons he could see. He then saw Saturn fighting. Night Rider let his rage cool. He then saw Megatron blast Saturn in the back. Saturn yelped in pain and fell to the ground. Megatron blasted him a second time and was about to blast him again.

"Say goodbye, pathetic Autobot --"

"No!" yelled Night Rider, blasting at Megatron.

Megatron jerked his head up.

"Night Rider, but why did you blast ...."

Megatron saw his Autobot insignia.

"You're an Autobot ... YOU TRAITOR!!!!"

Megatron instantly fired, without giving Night Rider a chance to fight back. He mercilessly blasted him several times. Night Rider fell down in pain. Megatron blasted him again and again.

"DIE!! DIE!!"

Night Rider was hanging onto life by a thread He was absolutely petrified. He couldn't describe his fear. He's never been this terrified in his life.

"Now I know how Saturn must've felt...." he thought.

Megatron slowly aimed his fusion cannon at Night Rider to deliver the final blast.

"You pathetic disgusting traitor ...."

Night Rider closed his eyes, wishing Megatron would hurry up and get it over with. There was a blast, but Night Rider still felt pain, which meant he was still alive. He opened his eyes and saw Megatron lying on the ground. Night Rider weakly sat up and looked around. Someone had blasted Megatron. It was Cliffjumper.

Night Rider was surprised, but too weak to do anything. he fainted dead away.

Cliffjumper ran to him.

"This is all my goddamn fault .... he was telling the truth...."

Cliffjumper gently picked up Night Rider and took him inside the headquarters.

Optimus Prime took Night Rider from Cliffjumper. He didn't need to ask what had happened, but Cliffjumper told him anyway. "Megatron blasted him after he saved Saturn's life ...We were wrong about him. He was telling the truth. This is all my fault."

Optimus looked down at his friend. "No, Cliffjumper. It's mine ... Get him to the repair bay. Where's Saturn?"

"Still out there. I can't carry both of them."

"I'll take Night Rider. You go and fetch Saturn. I'll be in the repair bay."

"Roger."

Cliffjumper rushed off. Optimus rushed Night Rider to the repair bay and gently laid him down on the bed.

"This is going to be hard..." he said to himself. "Megatron blasted him in all the vital parts of his body. This is much worse then it looks ... I hope I can repair him .... Optimus immediately started the delicate, fiddly job. He was being as gentle and careful as he could. It was very difficult and one wrong move could prove disastrous.

"I have to work quickly, but gently ...."

Optimus continued. He looked at Night Rider lying helplessly on the bed. He practically had his life in his hands. Optimus looked at him hands. They were shivering. He was frightened. He was worried. Worried that everything he did wouldn't be enough.

Optimus made his hands stop shivering.

"I have to be careful .... If I make any mistakes ...." Optimus looked at Night Rider again. "Even if everything I do is right, there's still no guarantee that he'll make it. His condition is getting worse. I need to hurry ...."

Optimus carried on, hoping Night Rider's condition would improve.

Later, Skyfire Hound and Cliffjumper came in. Optimus turned to them.

"How's Night Rider? " asked Skyfire, trying to sound hopeful.

"Not good, I'm afraid, Skyfire. He was badly damaged. I'm doing everything I can for him, but I'm not sure its enough. His condition is worsening."

"It's our fault, Prime ...." confessed Skyfire, sadly. "We didn't believe him ... We abused him ... we hurt him and -"

"I know," said Optimus, "but I doubted him too. I made the same mistake. We all should have trusted him."

"Sorry, Prime, " said Hound. "I hope he's gonna be okay."

"So do I ... so do I ..."

The three Autobots left the repair bay, all guilt stricken, hoping their new friend would pull through all right.

Optimus Prime looked at the life support unit. The line was going straighter and straighter. He was very upset.

"I really doubt he's going to make it ..... But I have to keep trying ...."

A few minutes later, Saturn came into the repair bay. Optimus turned around.

"Saturn, you're okay. That's good."

Saturn smiled. "Yeah ... Ratchet fixed me. I wasn't hurt bad, but I heard Night Rider was hurt really badly ... Is he going to make it?"

Saturn sounded very upset, after all Night Rider was his best friend.

"I can't tell him ...." thought Optimus. "....I just can't...."

"Optimus, Is he ...."

"I'm doing the best I can, Saturn. I'm doing everything I can, but Night Rider was hurt badly ..... There still is a chance."

Saturn smiled. "Thanks, Optimus. I know you won't let me down."

Optimus smiled or tried to.

"I can't let him stay here ...." thought Optimus. "I can't let him watch his best friend die ...."

Optimus knelt down to Saturn.

"Saturn, I promise, I'm doing everything I can for him. You'll just make it worse for yourself if you stay here. It'd be better for both of us if you went to your quarters."

Saturn nodded. "So do I. Thanks, Optimus."

He then left, feeling very worried for his friend.

Optimus turned all his attention back to Night Rider. He had lost quite a lot of blood. Optimus took a Cyber-Cloth and cleaned him up. He then replaced the severely damaged

internal organs and circuits. He began untwisting the twisted circuits and other parts of Night Rider which were beyond repair. Optimus managed to stop the internal bleeding and give Night Rider a blood transfusion. It had taken quite a few hours.

"He's certainly looking a lot better" said Optimus hopefully.

He looked at the monitor of the life support machine.

"He's stabilizing ..."

Optimus breathed a sigh of relief. He then scanned Night Rider's body and carefully and gently began to reenergize him. Optimus regulated the energy flow.

"I can't do this too fast, or it'll kill him."

Optimus sat down and waited patiently. Ratchet came to him.

"Prime, " he said. "How's Night Rider?"

"It was very difficult and I was worried. For a while I thought he wasn't going to make it, but I've been happily proven wrong."

Ratchet smiled.

"You're a miracle worker, Prime."

Optimus looked up and smiled. "I did what any Autobot would have done ..... I'm re-energising him. He's very weak, so I have to do it slowly."

"I'll take over, Prime."

"No, it's all right, Ratchet. I'll stay."

"Come on, Prime. You've been at this for Primus knows how long without a rest or energy. You must be starving."

Optimus chuckled. "Come to think of it, yes. I do feel a bit hungry, but I have to watch over Night Rider, in case he regains consciousness."

"I'll stay. You go and have a break. You work too hard."

Optimus looked at Ratchet.

"Ratchet ..."

"Not another word. You can be so stubborn sometimes. Go and have a rest. Doctor's orders."

Optimus smiled. "Thanks Ratchet."

Optimus turned to leave. He then turned back to Ratchet. "Keep the re-energising power low, unless he improves. Then turn it up a fraction and keep the pace slow."

"Will do, Prime."

Optimus turned and left the repair bay to the energon room. There he drank two energon cubes and his hunger subsided.

"Ratchet was right! I was starving!"

Optimus took a slow walk outside, in the cool twilight air for a while, before returning to the repair bay.

"Thanks, Ratchet. I really needed that. How's -"

"His condition is improving. He's becoming stronger."

"Increase the power a little."

Ratchet walked to the re-energising machine and turned it up a notch.

Both Ratchet and Optimus waited for a while. Ratchet turned to Optimus.

"Did Saturn come in?"

"Yes, he .... he did. At that time I was very doubtful if Night Rider was going to make it .... and I didn't have the heart to tell him .... But now things are looking better ... but we'd just better wait, in case something happens."

The two Autobots waited for a while longer.

Prowl, another Autobot came into the repair bay.

"How's Night Rider?" he asked.

"Better" replied Ratchet.

"That's good, listen, Ratchet, Teletraan I's malfunctioning and he needs immediate repair. Can you assist me?"

"It's okay, Ratchet. I'll stay and watch Night Rider.

Ratchet nodded and left with Prowl.

Optimus turned up the power of the life support machine and waited patiently for a few hours.

Then, after a few more hours, the life support machine gave an unexpected bleep. Optimus instantly looked at and saw Night Rider had regained consciousness. He slowly sat up.

"I ... I'm alive ...." he said in disbelief.

"Night Rider ...."

Night Rider looked at Optimus Prime.

"I'm sorry ...."

Night Rider hesitated. "It's all right .... I understand. Who ... who repaired me and how? I thought I was a goner."

"You almost were."

"You repaired me?"

Optimus nodded.

"You're amazing .... It must've been very hard .... and taken a long time ...."

"I don't care how long it took, Night Rider, or how hard it was. Life is more precious than time. I had to try. I owed it to you."

Night Rider smiled. "Thanks, but don't blame yourself. I understand your doubts."

"I have no more doubts."

"It must've taken ages to repair me, I mean ...."

"I would gladly give up my time to save someone's life, Night Rider."

"I guess I would too."

Night Rider tried to stand, but Optimus caught him as he stumbled to the floor.

"You need some more energy. Here."

Optimus Prime handed Night Rider an emergency energon cube from Ratchet's store in the repair bay.

"You should go and see Saturn. He's very worried about you."

Night Rider smiled. "I'll bet he is ..... Can I see him now?"

Optimus nodded and they began walking toward Saturn's room.

As they were walking, Night Rider saw a small Decepticon spy. He immediately blasted at him. Optimus Prime spun around.

"Night Rider!! What ..."

Night Rider ran after the spy and blasted him in the leg. The spy was terrified. Night Rider walked closer to him and blasted him again. The small Decepticon was in pain, but Night Rider didn't care. He shot him in his stomach. The spy put his hand over it to stop the pain and the bleeding and looked up at Night Rider. He was in tears, terrified. Night Rider aimed his gun at the small Decepticon's head and began to pull back on the trigger. Optimus flung the gun out of his hand. He was clearly angry.

"Prime! Why the ...?!"

"You are not a Decepticon anymore, Night Rider. We Autobots are not ruthless, cruel and merciless like they are."

"But Decepticons are now my enemies, Prime."

"I know, Night Rider. They're my enemies too."

"Then why did you stop me?"

Night Rider looked at the pathetic, helpless Decepticon on the floor.

"Decepticons, just like everyone, deserve a right to live."

Night Rider was confused. "But, Prime, they don't care about us .... They won't give us any mercy."

"Night Rider, you have to learn to be merciful. I know it's hard for you, because you've been a Decepticon almost all of your life and that's the way Decepticon do things, but it is not our way, and you're just going to have to learn that. It may take some time, but being an Autobot, you must respect The Autobot Code, and one of the most important things it states is that an Autobot may not attack a helpless opponent, unless there is a dire need to. Life is very important, even if it's that of an enemy. You wouldn't want someone to kill you."

Night Rider hung his head in shame.

"I'm sorry, Prime .... I ... I ...."

Optimus nodded. "I understand, Night Rider, but you'll have time to learn, to adjust."

Optimus walked to the small, frightened Decepticon. Night Rider looked at him again, and realized how terrified he was, and felt ashamed of himself for hurting someone so small and helpless.

"It's all right" he said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Optimus Prime gently picked him up. His wounds were hurting, but not fatal. Night Rider looked at him.

"I.... I'm sorry ...."

The little Decepticon looked at Night Rider and nodded, accepting the apology. Optimus took the little Decepticon to Ratchet in the repair bay.

He then turned his attention to Night Rider.

"I know it's going to be hard for you to adjust and I'll help you."

Night Rider shed a tear. "I didn't mean to hurt him .... It wasn't him I was angry with .... It was all the Decepticons .... for what happened. If I hadn't joined the bastards in the first place, none of this would have happened ..."

Optimus comforted his friend.

"Try to put it all behind you, Night Rider. I know that won't be easy, but try."

"I will, thanks, Prime. You've been a great help .... I wish I could be like you."

Optimus smiled. "Go on, " he said. "Saturn's waiting for you."

Night Rider smiled and continued walking to Saturn's room. He rang the door chime.

"Come in ...."

The door opened.

"Night Rider!" Saturn was very relieved.

He leapt off the ledge and hugged his friend. Night Rider fell onto the floor.

"Hey ... easy, little buddy ..."

"Sorry ...."

Night Rider smiled and stood up.

"I'm so happy you've come back to us ..."

Night Rider looked at Saturn.

"I guess I've always been an Autobot at heart. I just didn't realize."

A tear rolled down Night Rider's cheek. He then gently hugged Saturn. Together they walked outside Autobot Headquarters. It was dark outside and the stars in the sky were twinkling. Night Rider looked down at his friend.

"I'll always be your friend, Saturn. No matter what. I'll never hurt you again."

"Thank you, Night Rider. I'll always be yours."

"You always have been my friend, Saturn. Even after I betrayed you ... how I hurt you and treated you like nothing...."

Saturn knew what Night Rider was feeling.

"I forgive you" he said. "You didn't know what you were doing."

"But I did know, Saturn .... I ...."

"Deep down you didn't. Deep down there was still a part of you that was my friend."

Night Rider smiled. "I'm glad I can see that part of me again. Saturn, thank you for being so understanding. It means a lot to me."

Saturn smiled. The two sat down up against a large tree. Night Rider gazed up into the sky, at the riple star, Alpha Centauri.

"I guess now we can start all over again."

 

*

Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page