Disclaimer: The Sailor Moon Universe was created my Naoko Takeuchi, though Sailor Cyber (Celesta) is my creation)

Summary: Molly has not come to school or called and Serena is worried about her.

Rating PG

~~~~~~~~~~~

STARTING OVER

 

For once, Serena was actually on time for school. Melvin had joked about calling the Guiness Book of Records, much to Serena's chagrin. She knelt on the floor, in the classroom, pretending to be getting something out of her bag - in fact she was praying.

"Please let Miss H not be here and no work to do..." And she repeated this numerous times.

Unfortunately her pleas were not to be answered as Miss Haruna walked into the classroom, cheery as ever to begin lessons. Serena scowled, and bumped her head on the desk when she stood. "Not my day," she mumbled to herself. "Hey, Molly," she whispered, turning her head, but stopped when she saw Molly's desk bare. "Weird. She's never this late ... Maybe she's sick..."

"Serena, stop talking to yourself."

Serena's head snapped around. "Sorry, Miss. Just wondering where Molly was." It's not like her .... She would have called me ....

It wasn't long before Serena was forced to open her math book, but still she wondered about her best friend. I hope she's all right. Maybe she's got this flu that's goin' around ... I'll go see her after school, but maybe she's-

"And so the answer is, Serena?"

"Huh?"

"Just as I suspected. Daydreaming again."

"No, I was just thinking -"

"Not about math, obviously."

Like Duh. Who'd even wanna think about math?

"Would someone please enlighten Serena?"

Much to Serena's embarrassment, Melvin eagerly provided the answer.

Serena was hoping Molly would have come late to school, but there was no sign of her at recess.

"Have you guys seen Molly?" she asked her Sailor friends.

None of them had.

"She's probably gut a tummy bug, or something," Lita said. "Sure, she'll be okay though."

But Serena wasn't sure. She decided it was time to haul out the big guns and - she sought out Melvin. Usually she'd avoid him like the plague, but she needed his input.

"Hi Melvin, ya seen Molly today?"

"Come to think of it, I haven't ... and I wanted to show her my new Transformer. He's called Optimus Prime. Isn't he neat?" He showed the red and blue truck to Serena and transformed him into robot mode.

"Kinda cute for a robot..." she admitted, examining the toy.

Serena couldn't shake Melvin for the remainder of the recess period and listened to him while he regaled her with tales of the Robots In Disguise. Didn't sound like bad show, she thought, but what she really needed to know was Molly's whereabouts and if she was all right.

The Scouts met again at lunch break, and discussed their latest findings on the Negaverse, being careful no one was in earshot.

"Serena, are you even listening?" Raye asked annoyed.

"Huh? Oh Sure, Raye ... Just thinking about-"

"Not about the Negaverse and pressing matters obviously. A chocolate Sundae? A nude Darien perhaps?"

Serena almost smiled, but stopped herself and looked annoyed. "For your information, Raye I was thinking about Molly!"

Serena stormed off barely hearing Raye apologise.

"Do you think we should go after her?" Mina asked.

"No," Amy said gently. "She looks like she needs some time to herself. It seems to really be eating her, and if it's any consolation I'm starting to worry about Molly too. This isn't like her at all."

"Serena," Miss Haruna said, coming to her once class had resumed. "Come with me."

Ee Gads! What have I done now? Serena gingerly stood and followed her teacher out of the classroom.

However, her tension eased when the older woman smiled and spoke.

"I trust you've not seen Molly today?"

"No Miss H. I saw her yesterday though."

"It's strange. Her parents didn't call to say she'd be absent and when I called them today, they told me they thought she was at school."

"What?!" Now Serena became even more worried and her face paled.

"Molly isn't the type to wag school... Serena, I need you to tell me if you know anything. I know she's your best friend. Is Molly in any sort of trouble?..."

"Not that I know of, Miss H - truthfully."

"You look as worried as I am."

Serena was itching wanted to leave the school to find any clue as to Molly's whereabouts.

"I know what you're thinking," Patricia said "and it goes against my grain... but it might be an idea if you go and look for her right now."

"Miss H?"

Patricia Haruna smiled. "Molly's more important than two lessons, and besides, you can catch up tomorrow."

Serena nodded. "Thanks. I'll do my best to find her."

"I know you will," Patricia said, retreating back into the classroom, hoping Serena's search turned up positive results.

Serena's mind was racing - what if she couldn't find Molly? What if the Negaverse had her again? What would they do to her? What if she'd been run over on the way to school? Or Kidnapped? What if she'd been Murdered? What if she-

TOO MANY WHAT IF'S! Serena's mind shouted. She knew she'd be in too much of a panic to find her friend if her mind kept fabricating worst-case scenarios. She'd call on the help of the Sailor Scouts if she couldn't find Molly in the next two and a half hours. Leaving school so early would normally be quite a buzz, but under the circumstances, Serena would rather spend two school days straight, learning math with Molly beside her than this anxiety tearing at her.

The police told Serena that they could only issue a Missing Persons Status on Molly after 24 hours.

Molly was nowhere to be found in her favorite shops in the Mall, nor at any other shops or fast food joints her and Serena visited on a regular basis.

* * *

She sat by the large tree. Through her weeping, she was trying to sing a song.

"You..re here ... there's ... nothing I fear ... Once more... you ... open the do..or... My heart will go on .... and o...on...."

Tears splashed against her green mesh dress, as she clutched her knees to her aching chest and bashed the grass with her fist. "Why ... why ..."

She gave herself a few moments to regain her composure, and looked at her necklace, a smooth dark green gemstone, cut into a long irregular triangular shape. She clasped her hand around it, shut her eyes and thought of him.

"Molly?"

At first she was slightly annoyed, but when Serena called again, the red head looked up. The pig tailed girl knelt next to her friend, quite concerned. "What's wrong ... I was like so worried about you."

Molly managed a small smile. "I'm sorry, Serena. I really needed this day alone ... I didn't want anyone to know ... and I couldn't possibly go to school today ... I don't care if my parents are going to be mad."

"Worried more like. Miss H is too. She let me look for you."

"I'm sorry," Molly said sadly.

"What's the matter? Why are you out here all alone?"

A tear rolled down Molly's already wet cheek. She paused before speaking. "This is the day Neflite died... by this very tree, one year ago. I still miss him terribly."

Serena's face softened.

Molly looked at her friend in tears. "He meant so much to me, Serena..."

"I know."

"His death was so unfair ... Why couldn't they have left him alone?..."

"That's the Negaverse for you," Serena spat.

"Evil creatures..." Molly's kind face became a painful scowl, but then she smiled warmly. "I'll always remember him... He was so kind, despite all the bad things he did. He found the goodness in his heart at the end and that's what matters."

Even though the incident happened a full year ago, Serena couldn't help hating the Negaverse even more for what they had done. Neflite had to die before he discovered the good in himself. Jadeite, Zoisite and Malachite never got the chance. Serena couldn't help feeling a pang of guilt for their deaths, but there could have been no easy way. Queen Beryl had seen to that, the Nega bitch.

Serena put her arms around her grieving friend.

Molly smiled. "You know, I thought I wanted to be alone, but I'm glad you're here. I really loved him, you know, Serena."

Molly dried her eyes.

"I know ... and you brought out the best in him."

Molly smiled as Serena helped her up.

"C'mon let's tell everyone you're okay."

They walked across the grass, then onto the pavement. Serena found a pay phone, and telephoned Miss Haruna and Molly's parents, who were quite relieved the little one was safe. Molly told them she would explain later, and right now she needed time with a friend.

That afternoon she and Serena went to a movie, a sci-fi comedy entitled "SpaceBalls." Now that had them both crying - tears of joy this time!

After the movie, Serena began to walk Molly home. A tall man, with long auburn hair tied back in a pony tail and wearing sunglasses, stopped right in front of them.

"Excuse me, Miss," he said to Molly, "but I couldn't help admiring your beautiful necklace."

Serena became suspicious of the man. I wonder if he's a paedophile?...

Molly smiled at him. "It's a gemstone," she said. "Nephrite, it's a type of Jade."

"It's really lovely. Very beautiful ... You may think it silly of me, but may I buy it from you?"

"Oh, no, Sir," Molly said, holding it. "It's very special to me. It reminds me of a very special friend."

The tall man nodded. "I understand. A boyfriend?"

Molly smiled. "No ... well not exactly ... He died a year ago."

"I'm sorry," the tall man said. "What was his name?"

"Nefl ... Uhh, Max..."

The tall man smiled.

"Seeing as though you like this necklace so much," Molly said, "I bought it from Merlin's Shop of Wonders, over there." Molly pointed to an intriguing looking place, done up to look very Arthurian.

"Thank you," the tall man said. "You've been most helpful."

"It's a pleasure," Molly smiled.

Her and Serena watched him turn around and walk into Merlin's Shop.

"You're such a sweetheart," Serena said to her friend.

"Did he look a tad familiar to you?" Molly asked, confused.

Serena shrugged and the two continued down the footpath.

Sure Molly still loved at go crazy at the Mall with and without her friends, but Neflite, (a.k.a Maxfield Stanton) had brought out so much more in her. Molly understood now that there was more to life than fashion, make-up, jewellery, having a great body, and food. True Love was never something you could get at a red light special - nor in the most exclusive designer emporium. Molly looked into the late afternoon sky, and as a tear rolled down her cheek, silently thanked the Universe for the unique beautiful gifts Neflite had given her.

The tall man picked four gemstones, a polished piece of each. As he exited the shop, he took off his sunglasses, uncovering kind blue eyes. He looked into the distance and saw two girls walking off into the sunset, hand in hand and smiled.

Neflite gazed at the four gems in his hand, each representing the ex-Negaverse generals, Jadeite, a pale green, Nephrite, Zoisite, darkish green speckled with ruby and Malachite, a rich layered green, whom all, like him had been given a new chance at life. He gently closed his hand around them, radiating his warmth and love and a tear rolled down his pale cheek.

Thank you, Molly. I will forever cherish your kindness, compassion and the life you helped me find. I shall be with you always.

 

*

Back to Sailor Moon Page