Disclaimer: Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

Summary: Michael is badly wounded and is saved by KITT. My second KR fic.

Author's Note: This story takes place in 1986.

 Rated: M

~~~~~~~~

 

LONG KNIGHT

 

 

Michael sat in KITT's driver's seat, tapping on his wheel as Devon continued.

  "I'm sorry, Michael, but we have to treat each case as genuine.  We had no way of knowing this was a false alarm."

Michael looked at the image on KITT's screen.  "I know, Devon, just I was kinda lookin' forward to some action, y'know."

  "Getting shot at, decked and calling me to the rescue..."

Devon smiled at KITT - so did Michael.  "Somethin' like that... Well, see y' when I get back, Devon."

The older man nodded and KITT switched of his monitor.

  "To tell you the truth, Michael I'm a little disappointed too. I was quite looking forward to another mission with you."

  "And gettin' shot at?"

He could always tell when KITT was smiling.

  "You know what I mean, Michael."

  "Yeah, well them's the breaks, as they say."

  "Indeed."

  "Well whatsay we liven the mood with some music?"

  "Oh no ..."

Michael smiled.  "Heavy metal?"

  "I fail to understand how anyone could consider a performer screaming at the top of their lungs to be music," KITT said.

  "Some of these songs have meaning - you just have to listen to what they're singing."

  "Singing? ... Sometimes even I have to analyze what they're are screeching about to understand them."

Michael laughed. "Okay, somethin' else ..."

  "Enlighten me."

Michael smiled.  "Relax, Buddy, I think you'll like this one."

  "Don't bet on it."

Michael shook his head, smiling as he inserted a tape.  The song "Man In Motion" by John Parr, from the movie "St. Elmo's Fire" began emanating from KITT's speakers. 

  '...and suddenly you're a lot like me - you're just a prisoner and you're tryin'a beak free! I can see a new horizon underneath the blazin' sky ... I'll be with the eagles flyin' higher and higher!  Gonna be a man in motion, all I need is a pair of wheels...'

  "Actually you're right, Michael.  This one's not nearly as bad as some of the others... Pair of wheels.  I like that."

   "Take me where my future's lyin'... Saint Elmo's Fire!... Oooo!"

   "Whoa, Kitt!  Are you tellin' me you're finally developing audio sensors for Rock & Roll?"

  "Heaven forbid.  I said this song wasn't bad.  I know that twinkle in your eye, Michael - don't press your luck."

Knight smiled as the music continued in the background.

   'I can feel St. Elmo's Fire burnin' in me!...'

  "...Kitt would you mind droppin' me off in town?"  Michael asked.  "There's some stuff I gotta do."

  "Stuff?"

  "Ya ... Like banking, bill payin', letter postin' ... stuff like that..."

  "Ahh ... the mundane pleasures of being human."

  "You're so lucky, Pal."

  "Are you sure you don't want me to wait for you?" KITT asked.

  "Nah, it's okay, you have the rest of the day off."

  "Thank you ... I think."

Michael smiled as KITT dropped him off in front of the bank.  He was so used to looking out for Michael, as a force of habit, he waited until his friend was safely inside, then scanned the surrounding area, but could detect no one with weapons or anything out of the ordinary and drove on.  KITT didn't feel like Michael had neglected him.  He realised his partner needed some time to himself, to stretch his legs.  They had been on the road for quite some time.

 

KITT drove around for a while, perplexed at what to do.  To put it bluntly, this wasn't exactly a 'happenin' town, unless you wanted to go to the movies - but they hardly had Trans-Ams in mind when they designed the seating - and there wasn't anything interesting enough on that KITT wanted to watch though his monitor - and he'd already seen the other three - 2000: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact, which had been brought back for a limited double-cinema release. Although when he did view those movies, KITT had found HAL to be a most engaging character and as for Transformers: The Movie, which KITT had seen last week - he couldn't believe they'd killed Optimus Prime ... however he had a feeling the big red truck would come back.

 

In just under two hours, Michael had completed all his mundane human stuff, annoyed at the queues and the waiting, but glad to have it all done.  The last thing on his agenda was to get an old fashioned, flame grilled country style hamburger at 59's cafe and headed across the street.  They had wonderful, friendly service there.  He ordered and sat down to eat his meal, unaware he was being watched and not by KITT.  On his way out of the cafe, he was intercepted by a young man.

  "Uhh ... Mister Knight?..." The man spoke softly.

Michael stopped and turned cautiously.  "Who wants to know?"

  "I .. I don't know how to say this, but I was the one who... telephoned the Foundation about the ... false theft of the Ancient Greek Statue..."

Michael became angry.  "You know I could have you charged for that..."

The man flinched.  "I'm ... I'm sorry, but it was the only way... I couldn't risk it..."

  "Risk what?"

  "Ssh!  Keep your voice down ... Interception ... I-"

Michael could tell the man was terrified.  "Calm down ... First, what's your name?"

  "Mack ... Mack Edwards."

Michael gestured for Mack to sit on the bench, and then joined him.  "Now tell me what this is all about."

  "My sister Amber ... She ... she was ... murdered... because of what she knew ... about the theft of large quantities of platinum... I haven't told anyone this ... otherwise the men who did it will come after me... They threatened me and my brother they'd do the same to us if we blabbed ... They practically own the police ... I didn't know who to turn to... FLAG was my last hope. I'm risking everything talking to you now..." He shook his head.  "Amber was so innocent... God, she was only 22...."

Michael felt sorry for the obviously terrified and paranoid man sitting beside him.  Clearly he and his sister had been very close.

  "Just stick with me," Knight said, then spoke into his watch.  "Kitt, buddy, y' still around?"

  "As a matter of fact, I am."

Mack jumped.  "What's that?!"

  "Just a friend .... Great, Kitt, listen, turns out that false alarm wasn't so false after all..."

  "That's good.  I was getting bored."

Michael smiled.  "Meet me outside 59's."

  "I'm there, Michael."

  "Thanks Pal."

Mack looked uneasy.

  "Relax," Michael said.  "Kitt and I've been through a lot together.  You can trust him."

The other seemed to calm.  "I'm sorry ... I've been on the edge ever since this business started about three weeks ago... I wish Amber hadn't gotten involved with that man..."

 

KITT arrived in no time.  Michael and Mack climbed inside him.   "Kitt, this is Mack."

  "Hello."

The man jumped.  "What was that!?"

  "Kitt," Michael said with a smile.

  "Your ... partner is a ... talking car?"

  "Yup, as I said, we've been through a lot together."

  "Uhh ... okay."

Michael briefed KITT on what Mack had told him.  "You said your sister was involved - how?"

  "She and Harbo were involved .... I told her he was bad news."

  "Harbo ..." Michael said, "sounds like one of the Marx brothers."

Mack half smiled.  "Well he was a bad apple, rotten to the core.  Amber insisted that he loved her and that I was just mothering her..." Mack paused before continuing.  "She discovered his plans to steal and melt down billions of dollars worth of stolen platinum and sell it to the highest bidder on the black market ... Naturally she was devastated... and being the good, kind and honest soul that she was, went and told the police ... But the officer she informed was in on it and went straight to Harbo and he had her killed ... Of course he's too important to dirty his hands ..."

  "I get the picture," Michael said, not caring for this Harbo character one little bit.

  "I can't thank you enough for your assistance, Michael ... Can we stop at that gas station over there?  It's where my brother works.  He'll be relieved to know that there's someone we can count on."

  "Sure," Michael said.

KITT parked at the station and opened his door.  Michael stayed put.

  "A scared man," he said.

  "I hate to say this, Michael," KITT said, "but something about him just doesn't feel right."

  "Huh?"

  "I'm not sure I trust him."

  "What makes you say that?"

  "I dunno ... It's just that ... well something about-"

  "Kitt, are you tryin' to tell me you've got a gut feeling about this guy?"

  "Well ... essentially ... yes, I think."

  "As I recall you once said that cars don't get gut feelings."

  "That was then."

  "Well I'll keep my eyes open, but I think you're overreacting.  Terror and paranoia don't exactly bring out the best in one's personality."

  "Perhaps you're right, Michael."

Mack returned to KITT and Michael and climbed inside the sleek black Trans-Am.

  "He told me to tell you both to be careful."

  "I always am."

  "Could've fooled me," KITT said.

Michael smiled and shook his head.

Mack managed a small smile before he spoke.   "I'll ... take you the cliffs ... where they killed Amber ... Perhaps you and Kitt can find some clues ..."

KITT drove on, taking Mack's directions and trying to decipher wether his 'gut' feeling amounted to anything.  Mack didn't notice KITT's suspicions and KITT didn't notice any change in his behaviour.  Perhaps Michael was right - perhaps he was just overreacting.

 

KITT drove up a dirt road to some high cliffs.

Mack took a deep breath.  "We're here.  Hills Edge."

Michael put on the brakes and stopped KITT quite a way from the edge.  Mack emerged from the car, followed by Michael.

  "Kitt, scan the area - anything unusual?"

KITT activated his scanner. 

After a few moments ...  "Nothing, Michael, I'm sorry to say."

Mack sighed.  "I was afraid of that.  Harbo and his men are very thorough."

He walked away from Kitt with Michael near the edge.

  "He told me he had her thrown over."  Mack sounded close to tears, as he pointed over the edge, then shut his eyes and turned away.  Michael was convinced, that despite KITT's misgivings, the man was genuine.

  "I'm sorry," he said, sympathetically, wishing there was something he could do.

Mack nodded.

  "You said Harbo didn't kill Amber personally.  Do you know who did kill your sister?"

Mack reached into his pocket. "You did, you son of a bitch."

He held a gun at Michael. 

Knight backed off.  "What ... what is this? ... Who the hell are you?... One of Harbo's men...?"

Mack smiled.  "Harbo doesn't exist.  Well he does, actually.  He's the baker on Arundel Street."

  "So this whole case was fabricated after all..."

  "In a word.  Yup."

  "To get me?"

  "Oh, give the man an A!"

  "But why? ... And why do you think I killed your sister? ... I've never met Amber ... or doesn't she exist either?"

  "Oh, my sister exists all right - or should I say existed.  You might remember her.  Her name was Tanya Walker."

The blood drained from Michael's face and he felt a rock slam the pit of his stomach.

  "We had plans, Tanya and I," Mack went on.  "... Plans to make us rich and you had to come along and balls everything up... You'll pay good for what you did to her."

  "I didn't kill her ... I tried to warn her not to shoot ... But she didn't listen.  Her bullet bounced off Kitt's window."

  "Don't I know it ... But you were responsible - you're the reason she's dead!"

He aimed the gun.  Michael tried to avoid, but Mack was quicker and shot him in the shoulder.  Michael winced, and tried to radio KITT, but Mack blasted him in the chest, the bullet ripping through him, an explosion of blood where it entered his body, and before Michael went down, Mack shot him in the stomach.  Michael yelped in pain and clutched his bleeding wound.

  "Michael!"  KITT, already on his way after hearing the first shot.

Mack shot again, this time shooting Michael in the throat, blood spurting from the wound.  Michael spluttered and clutched his neck, blood oozing through his fingers.  Without warning, Mack shot him twice more in the torso.  Michael screamed in pain.

  "Michael, No!"  KITT exclaimed in horror as he saw Mack shoot his friend again.

Knight howled in agony and was barely able to speak.  Weakly he raised his arm.  "K...ki..tt... he..elp!..."

  "I'm coming, Michael!"

  "Say Good bye, Michael Knight ... or should I say Long?"

Mack shot Michael again just below his throat and again in his chest.  Blood spattered from the wound and Michael spluttered, struggling for breath.  Mack aimed his hand gun at Knight's head. 

Sheer panic overcame Michael.  "...Ki..tt!  He...elp me please!" he screamed, terrified, his body covered in blood.

Mack sneered.

  "No!!  Please don't let him kill me!!..." Michael panicked, in tears.

  "You're not gettin' away this time, you bastard!" Mack screamed.

KITT sped toward Michael toward him, hoping like he'd never hoped before that he wouldn't be too late.  Michael saw the black Trans Am speeding toward him, showing absolutely no signs of slowing down. Michael looked confused and frightened.

  "Keep your head down and trust me, Michael."

KITT inflated his tyres.  Mack aimed his gun to deliver his last two shots into Michael's head.  KITT drove over Michael, protecting him with his body, Mack's bullets bouncing harmlessly off Kitt's fender, as KITT slammed into him head on.  It was the only way to save Michael.

Mack flew through the air and hit the ground with a thud.  KITT activated his scanner and deduced the man was not conscious.

He drove forward, then reversed beside his friend.

  "Michael..." KITT's voice shivered.  His concern was obvious.

Michael gasped, barely able to breathe.

KITT didn't have to scan his vitals to know the damage was extensive, but he had to know exactly how bad it was.

  "Oh my..."

  "K...i...itt..."

  "I'm afraid it's ... very bad, Michael."  He felt couldn't insult his friend by lying.  "There's no time to wait for an ambulance ... You'll have to pull yourself up ... I'm sorry..."  KITT wished more than anything he had hands.

Michael struggled, even though KITT was parked as close as he could possibly be, it proved to be no easy feat.  KITT could almost feel Michael's pain and fear.  He was scared enough both of them.  Somehow, Michael managed to clutch KITT's seat and struggled to pull himself inside.  It took a monuments colossal effort, but he grabbed hold of KITT's gear lever, and began to pull himself up.  A sudden burst of pain hit.  Michael's face twisted in agony, and he gasped.

So did KITT.  "Michael ..."

Knight tried to ignore the pain, but couldn't, and due to the immense and continuing loss of blood, each second, he grew weaker and could barely see what he was doing.  He slipped and just managed to hold onto KITT's gears.

  "You're doing great, Michael," KITT encouraged.  "Just a few centimetres more and I can use Ski Mode to tilt myself and get the rest of you inside."

Michael tried to respond, but couldn't.  While he was struggling to enter, KITT scanned a street map of the area and located the nearest hospital.  Even at his best speed, it would be a race against time - and time, right now, Michael Knight certainly didn't have.

KITT slowly tilted himself to one side, and the rest of Michael slipped inside him, rolling over into the back seat and winced in pain.  KITT shut his door.

Michael sighed inwardly - and it even hurt to do that.  He knew full well he might not make it, but felt safer than ever inside KITT.

The Pontiac sped off with no time to waste.

  "Passive Laser Restraint active.  It'll take half an hour at best to reach the nearest hospital.  Engaging Super Pursuit Mode ... Hang with me, Michael."

  "Th ... thanks ...b...bu...ddy..." Knight rasped.

  "Don't talk, you'll only strain yourself."

Michael coughed, blood splattering from his throat gunshot wounds.  Not a pretty sight.  If KITT could have winced, he would have.  His best friend and partner was dying inside him, and there was nothing he could do, but offer comforts as he raced to the hospital.  Michael was too tired and weak to keep his eyes open, struggling for every breath, every wheeze telling KITT he needed to hurry.  Michael felt as though he barely had enough energy to lie down as his hand went limp.

  "Please say with me, Michael..."

A groan told KITT his friend was still here.  Michael's wheezing became more intense and KITT could feel him shivering.  He remembered the time when Michael's system had been injected with a lethal dose poison from a rare orchid and KITT had told him bad jokes to keep him focused, but right now, KITT certainly didn't feel like joking.

  "S...sor..ry ... Ki..tt ...uhh..ah..." Michael stammered.  "Sh...ould...'ve... lis...tened ... you ... right about ... Ma..ac...."

  "I know ... But Michael, please don't strain yourself."

Knight coughed again, a unhealthy amount of blood.  KITT wanted to cry.  He was doing everything he could for his friend ... but what if it wasn't enough?  What if Michael died inside him?  He didn't know what he'd do without his best friend and partner.  It tore into his soul to see him suffering like this.  KITT rammed though a fallen tree.  In his worry for Michael, he'd seen it too late to Turbo Boost.  Though the new shock absorbers Bonnie had installed took away some of the brunt.

  "I'm sorry, Michael ..."  KITT silently cursed himself and made a mental note to stay focused.

Michael barely heard him, too weak to respond.  He knew his friend was doing everything within his power, but nevertheless he knew, the odds were stacked against him, but if he was going to die, there was no place he felt safer than in KITT's arms, so to speak.  He gave up trying to keep his eyes open and KITT began to sing softly to him.  

  "Twinkle, Twinkle, little Star, how I wonder what you are.  Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky.  Twinkle Twinkle, little Star, how I wonder what you are..."

Michael tried to smile.

KITT began to hear sirens behind him, and he knew he was waaaaay over the speed limit.  However, he had deduced there was no one in his path, human or animal.  He kept his scanners peeled in order to swerve, should the situation arise, and increased speed, going well over 300, leaving his trailers in far the dust, as he expertly executed a sharp bend.  He hated to do that to law enforcement officers, but Michael came first.

KITT used Ski Mode to wedge himself through two large Semis going in opposite directions.

  "Stay with me, Michael..." KITT said and then whispered "please..."

 

After what seemed like a hellish eternity, KITT came up on the town.  Fortunately traffic was minimum.  KITT sped through numerous red lights, narrowly missing adjacent traffic.  At last - the hospital ... KITT turbo-boosted over the high mesh fence, into the hospital car park and sped to the emergency ward and stopped suddenly when he arrived, and went into Normal Cruise Mode.  He drove inside the hospital, causing much gaping from onlookers as he drove down the corridor, but he didn't care.  Michael was fading fast.  KITT stopped when he reached the front counter. and opened his door.

  "Look here!" Doctor Anthony Clarke exclaimed.  "This is a hospital, not the Indy 500!"

KITT flung open his doors and slammed his front seats forward.  "Please ... help him ... He's dying..."

One of the nurses did a double take. "Did that car just talk?"

Doctor Clarke looked inside KITT and gasped when he saw Michael, barely alive, covered in blood, from multiple gunshot wounds.  "Get him to Emergency Op, Stat!"

A stretcher was brought in no time and a team of doctors and nurses began to lift Michael out of KITT.

  "We'll have to do an analysis of the wounds ..."

  "He's been shot eight times, Doctor," KITT said.  "I can transfer data on the precise location of the bullet wounds and the status of his vitals to your computer."

  "Uhh ... yes ... do that ... It'll save time."

KITT immediately transferred the data.

  "Is there anything else I can do?"

  "I'm still a little confused ..." Doctor Clarke said.  "You're remote controlling this car?  From where?  And why didn't you call an ambulance?"

  "There was no time and I'm not being remote controlled."  KITT was annoyed at the Doctor's statement - remote controlled indeed ... but he was more worried about Michael.  He spoke quickly.  "I'm Kitt - Knight Industries Two-Thousand.  He's my partner, Michael Knight."

The Doctor nodded.  "From the Foundation for Law And Government ... I've hard of you... I gotta go ... That man needs immediate attention."

  "Doctor?"

The man turned around.

  "He's going to be all right, isn't he?"

The Doctor almost winced at KITT's childlike sense of hope, and could immediately tell that the car cared for Michael.

  "I don't know... We'll do everything we can for him."

  "Thank you."

Clarke gave a kind smile.  He hated giving false hope, but always found it hard to tell the truth in life and death situations.  KITT watched him go, his front redlight scanner tracking back and forth, conveying his concern.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

The blood drained from Devon's face and he barely noticed the spilled tea dripping into his lap from the cup he had just dropped.

  "You're sure it's that bad?  Yes of course you are ..."

  "I'm so sorry, Devon ... I was too late.  I-"

  "You can't blame yourself, Kitt.  You did everything you could for him."

  "I could have prevented it."

  "You had no way of knowing who Mack was-"

  "It's my duty to protect Michael," KITT protested.  "And above that - he's my friend."

Devon sighed.  "I know, Kitt.  We're on our way."

  "Thank you, Devon.  I wish there was something more I could do..."

Devon smiled warmly.  "Me too."

He cut communication, with a grim look on his face.

  "What's the matter?"

Devon jerked slightly.  He hadn't noticed Bonnie enter the room.  He looked up at her and gave her the blatant truth.

  "Michael's been shot."

The FLAG Technician gasped.  "No ... how bad is it?...."

As Devon slowly gave her the details and Bonnie's lovely face showed her horror and concern as she covered her mouth.

  "Kitt must feel terrible .."

  "He does."

Bonnie wiped a tear from her cheek.  Devon stood, walked to her and put his arm around her.  "I hope as much as anyone he pulls through."

She threw her arms around Devon. She wasn't a weak woman, but the news that someone so close to you was knocking on Death's Door, wasn't an easy thing to deal with.

R.C entered the small room.

  "Don't worry, I've got her on auto-" He stopped when he saw the grim looks on both Devon and Bonnie's faces and his face seemed to lose its youthful cheer.  "What's up?  Looks like some heavy shit's goin' down."

Under normal circumstances, Devon would have scalded the youth for using such language.

Bonnie looked up at Reginald.  "Michael's been shot."

R.C's eyes widened.  "Oh my God ... He's gonna be okay, isn't he? ... I mean he can't die..."

R.C's innocence made Devon want to cry.

  "I won't patronise you, Reginald," he said, "but I don't know if he'll make it ... It looks bad..."

  "Man..." R.C struggled to keep back tears.  "He's like an older Bro to me ... always lookin' out for me and stuff..."

Devon hoped for all of them that Michael's legendary force of will was enough to save him, but in truth, he hadn't the foggiest idea.

  "Reginald, head for the hospital ..."

  "Sure thing, Boss.  I'll do my best, but it'll be a while before we get there."

Devon nodded as young R.C left.  The older man wouldn't permit himself to cry - or to lose hope.  Bonnie placed her hand on his shoulder.

  "He's like the son I never had," Devon mused.

  "Did you ever wish you had children of your own?"

The question threw Devon a tad, then he realised Bonnie was trying to take his mind off Michael - at least a little.

  "At times," he said, "but it wouldn't've been fair to them.  I'm married to the Foundation."

Bonnie managed a smile.  "We all are, Devon.  And Michael's a part of us as much as we're a part of him."

Devon Miles couldn't agree more.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

KITT waited patiently in the waiting room, perhaps a strange place for a car, but KITT felt he had to be close to Michael in case he was needed.  He felt uncomfortable here, more because he was worried about Michael.

  "Is your father sick too?"

KITT seemed surprised. He hadn't noticed anyone approach him.  He saw it was a little girl.  She had obviously heard him speak to the doctor.  KITT thought that he had better answer her, although the last thing he wanted was an inquisitive kid around, but it intrigued him that she wasn't in the slightest surprised that a talking car was practically sitting in the waiting room.  Children were so much more understanding than many adults, KITT thought.

  "No," he said.  "My friend."

  "What happened to your friend?"

  "He was shot by a very bad man," KITT said.

  "That's horrible," the child said.  "My father had a heart attack.  I hope your friend gets better."

  "I hope so too," KITT said.  "And your father as well."

The child sat next to him.  KITT had thought he wanted to be alone, but he felt somewhat comforted by this little girl.

  "What's your name?" she asked.

  "Kitt.  That stands for Knight Industries Two Thousand."

The girl smiled.  "Mine's Fairleigh Leuce."

KITT could tell Fairleigh was as worried about her father as he was about Michael.  He opened his door.  "Would you like to look inside?"

  "Sure," she said excitedly.

KITT opened dimmed his internal lights, particularly on his back seats. The last thing he wanted Fairleigh to see was Michael's blood all over them.  He could barely look at them himself.  He opened his door and the girl looked inside.

  "Wow, Kitt ... You look like a space ship!"

   "Michael once said I looked like Darth Vader's bathroom."

Fairleigh laughed.

  "Fairleigh?"

  "It's okay, Mum.  Kitt's going to show me his dash."

Fairleigh's mother curiously approached KITT. 

  "Hello Mrs. Leuce," he said.

She smiled somewhat bewildered.  "... You're a computer?"

  "Essentially yes," KITT said.  "I'm waiting for my friend.  He was admitted not so long ago."

  "Oh," she said.  "... My daughter isn't bothering you is she?"

  "Mooom ..." Fairleigh sounded embarrassed.

  "Not at all, Mrs Leuce," KITT said with a smile she couldn't see.

Fairleigh's mother smiled.  "It's Callie ... All right," she patted the Pontiac. "Thanks, Kitt."

  "I hope your husband gets better," he said.

  "So do I," Callie said returning to her seat, grateful KITT had been able to get Fairleigh's mind off her father at least for a  while.  Though a talking computer, KITT seemed so alive.  Callie was fairly open minded herself, but to actually see a sentient computer was another thing entirely.  Her protective instincts, were against letting Fairleigh talk to a stranger... especially a male, but Callie had a feeling KITT wouldn't run over a cockroach.

 

KITT locked his controls out in case Fairleigh accidentally pressed any.  He didn't think Turbo Boosting through hospital walls would make him very popular, though he did tell her what the controls were used for and that seemed to have the desired impact as Fairleigh was quite interested and impressed and it seemed to take her mind off her ill father, however it didn't take KITT's mind of Michael.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Michael Knight had been hooked up to a life support unit.  Doctor Clarke monitored his life signs ... very weak and fading fast.  However for someone wounded so badly, he was surprised Michael showed any life signs at all.

  "Hang in there, Michael," he said as he placed the anaesthetic mask over his head.  "We haven't got much time."

The surgeons with him began to operate, to remove the bullets and repair the damage.

Michael's body suddenly convulsed. 

  "He's going into shock!  Stabilise him!"

Tension rose in the theatre as the doctors madly adjusted the life support machine.

 

KITT felt as though his tyres were digging into the floor like claws, as worriedly watched through the monitor, his anxiety Turbo Boosting through the roof.  It ground his motor that he could do absolutely nothing to help Michael, except hope.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "We're losing him!" Dr. Daniels exclaimed.

Clarke grabbed the fribulators.

  "Clear!" he barked as he placed them on Michael's bare chest and activate them.

  "Again!"

Michael's body jerked and his lifeline became straight.

 

KITT felt his fuel pump skip a beat.

 

  "Again!" Clarke yelled, determined not to lose his patient, but knowing he may have no choice.

Though it was a long shot, he increased the charge.  The line fluctuated very slightly, then began to straighten out again.

  "There's nothing more we can do," Dr. Daniels sighed.

Clarke nodded, upset and defeated, and almost jumped when the operating doors were nudged open by KITT.  He told Fairleigh to wait for him in the waiting room.  "I can help," he said. "Quickly.  Activate the fribulators again."

Clarke knew he didn't have time to be confused as he did what the black car asked.  KITT sent a power surge into them, knowing the shock could kill Michael, but without it he had no chance at all.

The thud of the fribulators seemed to be the only sound in the operating theatre as Clarke activated them.  Michael's body jerked.  Clarke anxiously looked at his patient, then at the life support machine.

  "He's stabilising..." he breathed, relieved.

KITT sighed inwardly himself.  "Ohh ... thank goodness..."

  "Thank you," Clarke said to KITT, then he paused.  "I don't want to lie to you, Kitt, his chances still aren't good.  We're doing everything we can."

  "I know Doctor.  Thank you.  That's all I can ask.  Without you he wouldn't have a chance at all."

Clarke smiled.  "If we need you again..."

  "I'll be right outside."

  "It's going to be a long night," Clarke said, as KITT backed up and drove back to the nearby waiting room, worried for his partner.

 

 

  "Kitt, do you like chocolate?" Fairleigh asked.

KITT's mind was so far away, he was slightly embarrassed when he had to ask her to repeat the question.

  "Chocolate..." he repeated.  "I wouldn't know.  Although I've been regaled with stories on how delicious it is, I can't consume human foods, Fairleigh.  I guess you've never tried Castrol '79?"

She laughed.  "Can't say I have ... So that's your chocolate, right?"

KITT wished she could see him smile.  "I guess so.  Thank you, Fairleigh."

  "For what?"

  "Making me smile."

  "So it worked, huh?  I couldn't tell."

KITT wanted to hug her.  He had to give her credit. Children often had great understanding.  "So you're more than just a pretty face."

That made Fairleigh smile.  She began to ask KITT about his friends and family.  Since KITT didn't have a traditional family, he told her of Michael, Bonnie, Devon, and the FLAG team who built him.

  "Michael's my partner as well as my best friend.  We go on missions and almost everywhere together.  We're very close, even when we argue."

Fairleigh smiled.  "Same with my parents.  You must really love Michael."

  "I do," KITT said.  "He's very dear to me, and he's stuck his neck out for me several times too."

  "I know what you mean.  I love my best friend Shirley too. Who's Devon?"

  "Devon is the head of FLAG, our organisation, the Foundation for Law and Government.  In many ways he's like a father to me, and Michael as well. He's very wise and cultured, not like Michael at all."

Fairleigh chuckled.

  "And Bonnie," KITT continued, "is the loveliest lady in the world, next to you."

Fairleigh smiled.

  "Bonnie's FLAG's chief technician. She fixes me when things go wrong.  She's like a doctor for cars, but she's more than that.  She always worries when I'm out on a dangerous mission and fusses over me when I come back in a terrible state."

  "She sounds a lot like a mom," Fairleigh said with a smile.

Again KITT wished she could see him smile.  "She's a lot like that," he said, "but don't tell anyone."

  "My lips are sealed," Fairleigh said, pressing a finger to them.  She smiled, then tried to stifle a yawn.

  "I saw that," KITT said, analysing her. "You've been awake for over thirty-six hours.  You poor child, you need some sleep."

Fairleigh nodded and gave a sad smile.  "I know, but it's hard... I'm so worried..."  Tears began to roll down the little child's cheeks.

  "I know," KITT said.  "I feel the same way about Michael.  I don't think I could sleep either."

KITT lowered the back of his front seat. 

Fairleigh smiled, lay back and curled up.  "Thanks, Kitt ... You're very comfortable."

  "Thank you, and it's my pleasure."

The little girl was asleep and breathing softly in no time.

About twenty minutes later, Callie approached KITT.

  "Fairleigh?"

She peered around KITT's open door and saw her daughter fast asleep, her chest rising and falling gently.  Callie patted KITT's hood.

  "You're amazing," she said softly.  "She's hardly had any sleep in days.  We've tried everything.  We were both so worried about Michael ..."

  "Michael?" KITT said.

  "Fairleigh's father."

  "Oh."

  "I hope he's going to be all right..."

  "So do I," KITT said, for both Michaels, watching Fairleigh's sleeping form, realising the reason she never told him her father's name, was because she thought it might have upset him.  KITT turned on his heaters, keeping the child warm.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

At some point during the night - KITT seemed to have lost track of the time.  He felt a tad embarrassed.  He'd never done that before, but then Michael had never been hurt this badly before.

He saw a doctor coming out with a man, walking slowly and scanned them, then woke his sleeping occupant.

  " Fairleigh ...  Fairleigh ..."

The small child sleepily opened sleepy eyes.  "What is it?" she asked, curious.

KITT opened his door.  "See for yourself."

  "Daddy!"

The color rushed back into her face and it brightened more than a 200 watt globe.  She leapt out of KITT and bounded to her father.

  "Michael! ..." Callie exclaimed.  "Thank God ..."

KITT felt happy for them as the tall man knelt down to Fairleigh.  "There's my girl..."

She smiled and hugger her father gently.  "We were so worried..." she sobbed.

Michael stroked her head gently.

  "Daddy, I want you to come and meet Kitt.  He's my new friend."

Michael looked around as Fairleigh lead him into the waiting room. "Here he is."

  "Hello Michael," KITT said.  It felt strange saying that to someone else.

  "A talking car!"

  "He's my friend and he's very nice.  His friend is hurt and he's called Michael too."

  "Kitt's amazing," Callie added.  "He actually got Fairleigh to sleep."

Michael smiled.  "My, Kitt you are amazing..."

Fairleigh turned to the Pontiac.  "I have to go now, Kitt," she said sadly.  "I'll miss you.  Will we ever see each other again?"

  "I hope so."

The girl kissed his steering wheel.

  "You know no woman's ever quite kissed me like that."

  "Woman ... oo! I like that!" Fairleigh hugged KITT's seat.

The Pontiac smiled.  "Don't forget your teddy.  I forgot to ask ... what's his name?"

  "Kitt ... Well it was Bunny Bear, but I just changed it ..."

  "I'm flattered."

  "Thanks, Kitt," Callie said.  "You've no idea how much you've helped."

  "It's my pleasure, and you've made it easier for me too.  Thank you."

He scanned Michael Leuce's vitals.  "And as for you, young man - no more red meat, definitely no more cigarettes and cut down on those fried foods."

Michael smiled. 

  "That's what I said," the Doctor said.

  "Keep an eye on him, Fairleigh," KITT said.

  "I will," she smiled, looking up at her father.

  "Thanks, Kitt," Michael said, as the family began to leave the hospital.  Fairleigh turned and waved to KITT.

  "Goodbye Fairleigh," he said, hoping to see her again sometime when she was older.

KITT watched as Callie drove away, Fairleigh looking back until KITT was out of sight.

He would not see Fairleigh again until she was 18 and smile when she still had her teddy.

 

But now KITT was alone with no one to share his thoughts with or comfort ... or to argue with or to talk back to ... KITT really missed Michael.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Bonnie sat down, wiped her forehead and placed her face in her hands.  She felt a gentle hand on her back.

  "You need some sleep," Devon said.

She looked up, puffy eyes showing her anguish and shook her head.  "I can't, Devon ... I'm scared ... for Michael ..."

  "I know.  We all are.  I'm not going to patronise you by saying everything's going to be fine... because I don't know myself.  I'm as scared as you are."

Bonnie managed a small smile.  "Thanks Devon ... but I still can't sleep ..."

  "Come  with me," Devon said, taking her hand.

Bonnie stood as Devon lead her to the small bunk room in the truck.   She lay on the bottom bunk and covered herself up.

  "Call me if you need anything."

  "Thanks, Devon," she said softly, her voice laced with worry.

He smiled warmly then left her be.  Bonnie smiled after him. He was so much like a father to her.

 

For hours she tossed and turned, trying to find a comfortable position.  Finally after about six hours, her body somehow managed to get to sleep, even if she didn't realise it.

 

 

 

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

When the news came through, it hit like a nuclear explosion.

 

Now a week later, Bonnie, Devon, KITT and R.C stood together, scarcely able to believe it.   The funeral had been hard enough.  Bonnie forced herself to look at the tombstone.

 

Rest In Peace

Michael Knight

Champion of Justice

This One Man Made a Difference

And shall be cherished always

 

 

Devon shed a tear, thinking back on all the good Michael had done, despite their disagreements.

  "I can't ... believe ... he's gone..." Bonnie sobbed, throwing her arms around the older man.  Devon embraced her and wiped her wet face.  Bonnie looked at KITT and knew he was crying, despite the fact he couldn't shed tears.

She rubbed his hood gently.

  "I can't believe ... he's gone either..." KITT said quietly.

Bonnie collapsed beside him and cried. 

Devon shook her shoulder.  "Bonnie ... Bonnie ..."

 

Bonnie jerked and opened her eyes to find a concerned looking Devon peering down at her.  Her head whipped around to see the spartan surroundings of the FLAG Mobile Unit's bunker.  She stood a deep breath and let it out, taking a hold of her senses.

  "It was only a bad dream," Devon said, not having to ask her what it was about.

  "But what if it isn't ... What if it really happens?..."

Devon knew Michael was far from in the clear, though he said, "we can't afford to give up.  I spoke to the hospital.  Michael's still in a critical condition, but as he would say, 'I ain't licked yet.'"

The first smile in many hours touched Bonnie's face.  "Thanks, Devon."

He patted her red cheek.  "Try and get some rest."

He left her to get some of his own, as R.C drove the truck, feeling worried for Michael, trying his best to get to the hospital as quickly as possible.

 

Exhausted, it didn't take Bonnie long to fall asleep.  This time she did not want to dream.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Dr Clarke clamped a small bloodied black object in a pair of tweezers and placed it in a metal bowl with seven others.

  "There, that's the last bullet," he said with relief.

 

Outside in the waiting room, KITT was glad to hear that, but they weren't out of the woods yet.

 

 

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Bonnie and Devon arrived at the hospital, whilst R.C stayed in the semi.

  "Kitt!"

The Pontiac almost jumped, but recognised the voice.  "Bonnie, Devon, I'm so glad you're here."

Part of him wanted to be alone, the other part wanted to share his feelings, but first he gave them the facts on Michael's condition.

  "He's improved," KITT said, "but they're still not certain if..."

Bonnie heard the worry in his voice and placed her hand on his wind shield.  "I know you're frightened for Michael, Kitt.  We all are."

Bonnie's gentle touch and voice felt so comforting, KITT was glad she and Devon were here.

  "How much blood did Michael lose?" Devon asked, gravely.

  "A lot ... I don't know exactly ... I'm sorry, Devon ... I should have run a more complete scan ... I-"

  "It's all right, Kitt," Bonnie calmed.  "You were under great stress."

  "I know ... I hate to do this to you, Devon, but-" KITT opened his door and began to lower his front seat.  "Bonnie, look away."

Bonnie shut her eyes and turned away, but something forced her to turn around and look.  She gasped and turned away again, her throat taut and her stomach knotting.  She'd never been one to stomach the sight of blood, and seeing the blood of someone so close to her like that was a lot more than she could handle and she'd wished she'd listened to KITT who compassionately tried to spare her the horror.

  "Devon ... Bonnie ... I did everything I could for him ... if only I'd gotten to him sooner..."

  "It's not your fault, Kitt.  As you said you did everything in your power ... We'll wait here with you."

  "I'm glad you're here."

Bonnie managed a small smile as she stroked KITT's hood.

No sooner had they sat down, a Nurse came bearing two cups of water which she offered to Bonnie and Devon, who graciously accepted them.

Bonnie sipped the cool clear contents.  It refreshed her mouth, throat and stomach, but not her mind, heart or soul.

She set her cup down and walked over to KITT.

  "Let me take a look at you," she said gently.

  "It's all right, Bonnie," KITT said.  "You don't have to."

She smiled gently.  "I'd like to, Kitt."

KITT surmised she needed something to take her mind off Michael's predicament and he was grateful she wanted to check his systems, although he didn't want to cause any extra strain on her.  He slowly opened his hood.  Bonnie brushed scraggly brown hair from her face and peered inside.

  "Apart from obvious signs of stress, you're fine."

  "My scan of your vitals tells me your stress levels are up too."

Bonnie gave a small smile and nodded.  "I'm afraid I can't suggest anything except rest and to recharge your power packs, but I don't think that'll help all that much ... Kitt, I can't even help myself with this ..." She looked at him and could almost see his comforting smile. 

  "You've helped me feel a little better, Bonnie."

She smiled.  "Same here, Kitt.  I'm glad."  She patted his roof.  "It's hard on all of us."

  "I know, though it is comforting to have you and Devon here."

Bonnie smiled.  "I'm glad you're here too, Kitt."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

It seemed so quiet in the room - one could hear a feather drop.

Dr Clarke examined Michael closely again and then permitted himself to smile for the first time in many hours as he watched Knight's shallow, but rhythmic breathing.

  "How is he?" Daniels asked.

  "I've stopped the internal bleeding," Clarke said quietly.  "He's fortunate none of the bullets hit any major organs, but that one here," he indicated Michael's throat, "came so close to severing his spine, it's not funny."

Clarke glared at the bullets in the bowl, wanting to throw them away, but knew he had to keep them as forensic evidence.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Meanwhile, KITT, Bonnie and Devon waited, whilst R.C waited in the Semi.

The voice of a nurse coming down one of the corridors caught KITT's attention, however she was too far away for the two humans to hear.

  "What's the status of the man found up by Hills Edge?"

  "D.O.A." the Doctor replied.  "Don't lose too much sleep over him.  He's a crim.  They found a gun near his body.  He took quite a blow ... Hit and run they think."

KITT jerked slightly and almost gasped

  "What's the matter, Kitt?" Bonnie asked, concerned.

  "I ... I ... I'm just worried about Michael ..." It pained him to lie, but he couldn't talk about it, not here.

Bonnie didn't need to have psychic powers to know KITT seemed to be hiding something, but she sensed he would tell her later.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

A young Intern came into the operating theatre, bearing sacs of blood.  Just to be sure, Clarke checked the type.

  "Great ... Thank you ... Thank God we had his blood type..."

He hooked the blood up to the apparatus.  "Start the transfusion, but slowly, too fast and his system may start rejecting it ... He's stable at least ... Stay with us, Michael ..."

  "Do you want me to inform his friends of his condition?" the Intern asked.

  "Not yet," Dr Clarke said.  "Something may still go wrong and I don't want to give them false hope."

  "That car really cares for him," the Intern said with a smile.

Clarke smiled as well.  "Wish my car was like that."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Bonnie could scarcely believe her eyes when she came back from the Ladies to see Devon munching on a hamburger.

  "A bit of a culture shock."

Devon swallowed and nodded.  "I'm afraid it was a choice between this, sickly looking sausage rolls or sad meat pies, so I chose the lesser of the three evils.  At least it comes with salad."

Bonnie managed a smile.

  "Truth be known," Devon said, "I'm really not all that hungry, but neither of us have eaten in so long and that's a major cause of our fatigue."

Bonnie nodded, but her appetite had not surfaced either, though she visited the cafeteria and purchased a popper of blackberry fruit juice.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

After what seemed like an age, Dr Clarke disconnected the blood flow to Michael and sighed.  "That should do it ... Monitor his breathing."

  "Already am," Daniels replied.  "It'll be a while before he comes to."

  "That is if he doesn't go into a relapse ..." Clarke hoped.

  "He'll probably be asleep when he regains consciousness, lord knows he needs it."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

KITT, Bonnie and Devon, all thrilled by the news.

  "He's sleeping now, and still very weak," Dr Clarke said.  "When he wakes, I'll be sure to call you."

There was much relief amongst the three.  Bonnie and Devon embraced and she saw KITT relax, no longer looking as though his tyres were clawing the floor.  Devon and Bonnie went to relay the good news to R.C who had fallen asleep in the truck, but this, he didn't mind being woken up for!      "ALL-RIGHT!!!"  Reginald wiped a tear from his face.   "Aww man ... That's the best news I've heard all year!"

Bonnie and Devon smiled sharing the youth's joy.  R.C came into the waiting room with them, locking the Semi up like Fort Knox.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Dr Clarke closely monitored Michael and permitted himself to sigh with relief as his patient remained stable.

  "Pleasant dreams, Michael."

Clarke knew it would be a while before he could rest and have his own dreams.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

After a long eight hours, Dr Clarke met with KITT, Bonnie, Devon, and R.C, having caught up on their own rest.

  "He's awake," Clarke said.

Bonnie couldn't contain her excitement as she threw her arms around the good Doctor.  Devon smiled, his joy no less than Bonnie's.

  "Man, I can't wait to see 'im," R.C said, jumping up, his youthful face exuberant.

  "I could Turbo Boost for joy," KITT said, with an unseen smile of his own, although Bonnie could swear she saw it.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Still very weak and tired, Michael propped himself up on the pillows, needless to say, grateful to be alive.

He began to eat the fresh meal before him, and discovered he was quite ravenous and that hospital food wasn't all that bad.  Dr Clarke told him to slow down, as there was plenty more and he'd probably give himself a stomach ache on top of all that had happened.

 

Michael swallowed the last mouthful of his second helping and washed it down with a gulp of pineapple cherry juice.

  "Thanks, Doctor," Michael said.

  "Had enough?"

Michael smiled.  "Yeah.  Felt like I could eat a heard of horses."

Clarke smiled and cleared the tray away.  "You're one of the most fortunate people I've ever met," he told Michael.

  "I've got you to thank for it," Knight said.

  "Not just me ... that amazing card of yours.  If he hadn't got you here in time or boosted the power of my fribulators, I'm afraid there would have been nothing I could have done."

Michael's heart filled with gratitude for his friend.

  "How is he?"

  "Recovering form the stress and worry.  I'm going to prescribe R & R for the both of you."

Michael smiled.  "Well that's one Doctor's order I won't be disobeying."  He took a sip of water by his bed.

  "Glad to hear it," Clarke said with a smile.  "Your friends are waiting outside.”

 

  "You guys go in first," KITT said to the others.

Bonnie sensed he wanted to spend some time alone with Michael as she, Devon and R.C entered the room.

  "Michael!"

  "Yo, Bonnie ... Devon... R.C ¼"

Devon didn't need KITT's sensor to know that Michael was putting on a show of strength, but he didn't want to deter the young man either.  Dr Clarke watched the reunion, knowing Michael would soon need to rest again, as Bonnie gently hugged him.

  "Gods, we were so worried ..." A tear rolled down her cheek.

Michael held her.

  "It's good to see you 'up and at 'em' again," Devon said with a smile.

  "Man, Mike, don't you ever do this again," R.C scalded playfully as he too hugged Michael.

  "I don't intend to."

Devon gently placed his hand on Michael's shoulder.  "I don't have to tell you how worried I was.  What happened to all those times I told you to be careful?"

Michael smiled.  "Well there's always some evil lurking somewhere ..."

  "Michael, you'll be out of that bed before you can saw Alacazam," R. C promised.

Knight smiled.

  "It was awful out in the waiting room," Bonnie said.  "Devon was forced to eat a hamburger."

Michael's eyes widened.  "No ... Never thought I'd see that day ..."

Devon had to smile.

  "There's someone else who would like to see you too," Clarke said.

KITT nosed open the doors.

Michael smiled and sat up a little more.  "Great to see ya, Buddy!"

  "It's wonderful to see you alive and well, Michael," KITT said with relief.

The other three sensed that Michael needed to be alone with KITT and began to leave.

  "Press that red button if you need anything, Michael," Clarke said.

  "I will, thanks, Doctor."

  "My pleasure."  Dr. Clarke smiled as he left with Bonnie, Devon and R.C.

  "You sure had us all worried," KITT said.

  "I had myself worried, actually ... Thanks, KITT, that's a few more I owe ya."

  "Michael, considering all the skirmishes we've got each other out of, I'd say we're pretty much even and besides, I couldn't live with myself without knowing that I'd done everything I could."

  "You did great, Buddy ..." Michael paused.  "God it hurt so much ..."

  "I wished I could have nullified the pain, but the shock would have killed you ... If only I'd gotten to you sooner ..."

  "It's not your fault, Kitt. You did everything you could."

  "I even Turbo Boosted over and the hospital fence in Super Pursuit Mode..."

Michael's eyes widened.  "What?!  If I did that you'd say I was nuts and never speak to me again..."

KITT seemed to smile.  "Well desperate times call for desperate measures."

Michael smiled.  "Thanks, Buddy, you know I'd have done the same for you."

  "I know, Michael."

Sensing there was something Michael wasn't telling him, he drove a little closer to the bed. 

Michael took a deep breath.  "Ki ... kitt ... God I ... I was so scared ..." His voice shivered.

  "I know," KITT said.  "So was I."

Michael tried, but he couldn't hold his tears any longer.  He gasped and continued.  "I ... I was so scared I'd lose who I was again ... First I lost Michael Long ... I couldn't lose Michael Knight too ... "

KITT slowly drove a little closer, until he was touching Michael's bed.  Knight smiled and placed his hand on KITT's warm hood.

  "Thanks, Buddy ..." he paused, then went on.  "I ... I felt so helpless ... So stupid ... You were right about that guy all along.  I should have listened to you..."

  "Michael, I wasn't aware of his true motives.  It was only a hunch."

  "Still, if only I'd gone along with your hunch ... Tanya Walker ... She seems to reach out from the grave ..."

  "Quite a nasty piece of work," KITT agreed.  "Gives Tanyas of the world a bad name."

Michael smiled.  "Exactly ... the bitch."

  "Ironic, though isn't it?" KITT said.  "... If it wasn't for her, we would never have met.  You would never have been shot and saved by Wilton Knight and I would never have been created."

  "You know I never thought about it that way," Michael said in surprise.  "Funny how things work out."

  "Would you have rather lived your life as Michael Long with a standard Trans-Am?"

  "Hmm ... A car which never talks back ..."

  "Michael..."

Knight smiled.  "KITT, I wouldn't have you any other way ..."

KITT seemed to smile, grateful Michael had shared his feelings.    "Thank you for sharing that with me, Michael.  I really appreciate it.  You know I'm always here for you."

Michael smiled warmly.  "And I'm here for you too, Buddy. Thanks."  He patted KITT's hood again.  "Now when I get outta here, I'm gonna-"

  "When you get outta here, Mister, you're gonna get some serious R & R.  As a matter of fact, I'm locking out my manual controls right now..."

  "You can't do that ..." Michael protested.

  "I can in an emergency."

Michael smiled.  "Well R & R sounds swell, as long as you get some with me."

  "You don't have to ask me twice."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Dr Clarke insisted Michael stay at the hospital for a few extra days to monitor his condition and for the rest he so badly needed.  Michael slept for a day and a night.

 

KITT offered to drive him around the grounds the following day.

  "Thanks, Buddy, but I haven't used my legs in so long, they feel like they're gonna fall off if I don't give them some exercise."

  "All right, Michael, but -"

  "Be careful."

  "Exactamundo."

Knight smiled.

 

Devon came to KITT.

  "I've been called away to an urgent FLAG Executive meeting.  Bonnie'll stay here with you.  Please give Michael my regards and take care of him.  He needs you, Kitt."

  "I know and I'm not going to let him out of my scanner range."

Devon smiled as he turned to leave.

  "Have fun at the meeting, Devon."

Devon Miles turned back to KITT and lowered his voice.  "Just between you and me, KITT, most of these meetings are enough to bore ones trousers down..."

KITT seemed to smile.  "My audio is sealed."

Devon smiled as he joined R.C in the Semi.

 

KITT drove around the hospital grounds with Michael walking alongside him.

  "Keeping a scanner on me?" Knight asked with a smile.

  "Well 'walking' with you is quite pleasant and my tyres need some exercise too, so I thought I'd scare two birds with one stone."

  "It's kill two birds with one stone, Kitt."

  "I know, but it sounds cruel."

Michael smiled.  "Scare it is, then."

He continued to walk with KITT in the pleasant Spring air.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

It took the better part of a week for Michael to fully recover and regain his strength and composure with a lot of consoling from KITT.

  "We all make mistakes, Michael, even me."

Michael smiled as KITT continued.  "I'm sorry it was so frightening and painful for you, and for me as well, but I guess we've both come out stronger."

Knight smiled again.  "Kitt, how come you always seem to know the right things to say?"

KITT said nothing, but Michael knew he was smiling.

 

*  *  *

 

The Foundation threw a party for Michael's recovery.  He felt a tad embarrassed at all the attention, although smiled when he saw scantily clad women seeming happy to see him.

KITT was also the toast of the town, with R.C giving him thorough wash and a wax.

  "That tickles," KITT chuckled.

 

Although it had been a harrowing experience that neither Michael nor KITT wanted to repeat, it was well worth a celebration, though Michael and KITT didn't consider themselves above anyone else.

  "Congratulations, Michael," Bonnie said, kissing him on the cheek.

He smiled and kissed her back as she began to mingle.

Michael looked over at KITT's shining chassis.  Was it his imagination or was something bothering his buddy? ...

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Devon, Michael and Bonnie waited for KITT to speak.

  "Devon, he said solemnly, "there's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

There was no mistaking the Pontiac's serious tone.  Devon turned to him, concerned.

  "Is it about Michael?"

  "No," KITT said.  "He's fine."

  "Glad to hear it," Michael said, coming into the room with Bonnie.

KITT felt even more uncomfortable with all three of them here, but knew what he had to do.

  "It's about Mack Walker."

A tad confused as to where this was leading, Devon sat.

  "He was found dead at Hills Edge," KITT said.

  "Yes, I was informed."

  "I heard a Nurse talking about him, in the hospital, the night Michael was operated on... Ohh, Devon ... if I hadn't've ran into him, he would have shot Michael in the head and killed him ..."

The older man sat back in shock.  Bonnie was scarcely able to believe what she's just heard.  Michael blinked, too struck dumb.

  "I hadn't meant ... to kill him ... I-"

Bonnie could hear the anguish in KITT's terrified voice.

  "You had no choice," she said, never believing for a second KITT would harm anyone out of malice, as she placed her hand comfortingly on his roof.

  "The guy was scum, Kitt," Michael said.  "He's a murderer and he wasn't about to stop with me."

  "I know ... but that doesn't make it right ... And it doesn't make me feel any better ..."

Michael stroked his friend's hood, touched by KITT's concern for the scum.  The man had deserved to die, and yet KITT felt the burden of guilt of killing a living being.

  "If there was another way, you would have taken it," Bonnie comforted.

  "I know ... But I violated my prime directive ... Never to harm a living being ... let alone kill one ..."

  "You've got a good heart, KITT," she said with a warm smile, rubbing his hood.

  "Kitt, you did what you had to do," Michael comforted.

  "I know ... Although ... It still hurts... Devon ... it's your duty, I guess to inform the Authorities of my actions ... Are you going to?"  If KITT were human he would have swallowed.

Devon almost cringed at KITT's frightened childlike question.

  "Kitt, if word got out about this, you'd be dismantled in a nano second - they wouldn't see your human side, despite Mack Walker being far from a model citizen, and FLAG would be under constant scrutiny, but I know you, Kitt.  You wouldn't harm a fly and as you said, desperate times call for desperate measures and I'll do well to say that this will forever remain with the three of us."

  "Thank you, Devon," KITT said, relieved he had such caring friends ... family.

Though he had done what he had to do, as many times as KITT said that to himself, he still felt the guilt and hoped he could come to terms with it.

 

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Michael sat in KITT as he drove along the road.

  "Buddy, it seems like a million years ..."

  "It sure is wonderful to be driving with you again, Michael."

  "You can say that again."

There was a pause before KITT spoke.

  "Michael ... I know if I hadn't've run into Mack Walker, he would have killed you ... I know I did what I had to do ... I still feel bad...."

  "I understand how you feel, Partner, I really do and believe me, it doesn't get any better ... Back when I was Michael Long I was forced to kill an armed gunman.  He would have shot and killed my wounded partner.  If there was any other way, I would've done it ... I regret killing him, even though he was a bastard low life and would have gone on killing."

  "How did you get over it?" KITT asked.

  "It's not easy ... My partner and I saved a lot of lives and I guess it was for ... the Greater Good.  I may still regret killing the guy, but I don't regret savin' my partner."

  "Thank you, Michael."

Knight smiled and patted KITT's wheel.  "My pleasure, Buddy.  You did what you had to do."

  "I know ... That's what Bonnie said, but still, it's going to take some time to come to terms with it, even if it was for the Greater Good."

Michael gave a knowing smile.  "Take all the time you need, Buddy, but don't hate yourself for what you were forced to do."

  "I won't, Michael ..."

Knight smiled.  "That's good."

He gave KITT's voice box a gentle pat.

  "It's great to have you back in that seat, Michael.  It's been missing you."

Michael chuckled.  "I think I was missing it too!"

He could almost see KITT smile. 

  "How about some music?" Michael suggested.

  "Uh oh..."

  "Your choice."

  "Thank goodness."

Michael laughed as KITT chose a song, as the Trans-Am cruised down the long deserted road, the sun glinting off his sleek, black metal chassis as KITT's audio deck rang out to the Heavens.

 

  'I can climb the highest mountain, cross the wildest sea... Take me where my future's lyin, Saint Elmo's Fire ... I can feel Saint Elmo's Fire burnin' in me...'

 

 

                                                                           *

~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Knight Rider Page