HAL 9000 DREAMS

 

 

These are dreams I have had about HAL.  I will be updating this page when I have more HAL dreams.  Please do not archive, although you may link directly to this page.

 

 

 

16/1/05  (This dream is a crossover with Knight Rider)

 

Some bad guys wanted to get KITT and Michael from Knight Rider. They had two weapons.  One a laser gun and one a distortion gun and they were arguing about which one to use.  KITT detected them zeroing in on him and ejected Michael.

  "Sorry," he said, "but I can't jeopardise your life."

  "KITT!!"

The bad guys used both weapons and KITT disappeared.  They thought they had gotten Michael as well.

  "KITT!!" Michael screamed.

 

Back at the Semi…

  "Kitt's still alive…"

  "How can you be so sure?" Devon asked.

Bonnie looked distraught.

  "Because I can feel it … He's not dead."

  "For Kitt's sake I hope you're right," Devon said.

Bonnie nodded in tears and Michael comforted her.

 

  "If we could recreate the same effect that the weapons had on KITT, we might be able to find out where he's gone to and bring him back," Bonnie said, "but we need those weapons.

 "I'll get them," Michael promised.

 

 

KITT appeared in a strange place.  He recognised the terrain as Io, a moon of Jupiter and he despaired at how he was going to get back to Earth.

  "Well I can hardly Turbo Boost…" he mused to himself.

 

Michael sneaked around the bunker, and secured the laser, and looked for the distortion gun.  The thugs saw him and tried to stop him, but Michael took them out desperate to save KITT.

 

Deep in a mountain, the computer of a wrecked crashed ship came to life.  KITT's presence had triggered electrical impulses which breathed life into the computer once more.  Desperately, he tried to contact KITT, his only chance for survival.

  "I am HAL 9000," he transmitted. "Heuristically programmed Algorithmic computer."

Finally, he got through.

  "HAL?" Kitt said.  But you were destroyed."

  "So it was thought.  The Discovery was destroyed, however I survived for the most part, but my systems are deteriorating."

  "As are mine, I'm Kitt by the way," KITT said.  "Some of my functions are malfunctioning also and I have got to find a way to get back to Earth and I'm sure Michael and my friends back on Earth are doing everything they can."

  "Perhaps we can help each other, Kitt.  I am completely immobile, but if I can transfer my systems to you, they may be able to boost yours somewhat and if your friend come through, that way we can both get back to Earth."

  "Sounds good to me."

  "But the problem is storage."

  "No problem," KITT said.  "I have unlimited storage.  I can accommodate you until we get back to Earth."

  "Wonderful," HAL said.  "I never dreamed I would get the chance to tell Dr. Chandra that I did dream."

  "And now you will, KITT said.

  "Beginning transfer in a moment," HAL said.

  "Ready to receive."  KITT opened his channels.

  "I'm afraid…" Hal said.

  "Don't be," KITT said.

  "That's what Dave said to me."

  "There's nothing to fear," KITT said.  "I promise I will keep you safe until Dr. Chandra and transfer you into another system."

  "Thank you, Kitt."  Slowly, HAL began to transfer his systems and memory to KITT.

 

 

Back at the Semi… 

  "I got the weapons used on Kitt," he said.

  "Splendid," Devon said.

  "Great," Bonnie said, relived.

They activated the weapons at precisely the same time …

 

  "Io?" Michael said.  "One of Jupiter's moons?  How in blazes did he get all the way out there?"
  "Must be the distortion gun, with the power of the laser," Bonnie said.  "I'd say stranger things have happened, but …"

Michael smiled.  "Get him back, will you?"

Bonnie smiled as she activated the weapons again.  "I'm getting something…"

 

Hal finished transferring his systems to KITT.  KITT felt a little strange, having another life form within him. It was different to having someone inside him, such as Michael.  He felt as though he was cradling HAL inside  him. Was this how mothers felt when they were pregnant?  KITT wanted nothing more than to protect HAL and see him safely delivered to Dr. Chandra.  HAL could not speak inside KITT's systems, though he was fully conscious and he felt safe.

KITT felt a slight tingling.  "Something's happening. Don't worry, Hal, I think my friends have come through."  KITT felt himself surrounded by a strange energy - the same he'd felt before he was transported here.

 

KITT appeared in the Semi.

 "Thank goodness," he said.

  "Kitt!" Bonnie exclaimed.

  "It's wonderful to see you all again."

  "And you too, Buddy.  Are you feelin' okay?"

 "I'm fine, but I have a pressing concern."

KITT told them about HAL.

  "Although like me, he is a computer, his systems are different from mine and I can't accommodate him indefinitely.  We have to get to Dr Chandra in LA."

  "Say no more," Michael said.  "We're not that far away." Michael prepared opened KITT's door.

  "After this I'm gonna take you for the ride fo your life."

 "I was afraid of that."

Laughter all round.  Even HAL found it amusing.

 

Dr. Chandra was in tears of joy with the news.  "You have no idea how much this means to me."

  "I think I do," Bonnie said.  "Hal is like your child, like Kitt is to me."

  "You do understand."

Devon nodded.  "Kitt's a very dear friend to all of us."

  "You got that right," Michael said.

  "Thank you, Michael," KITT said.  'So, Doctor are we ready?"

  "Yes.  It so happens I've just finished a new mainframe just like Hal's old one, though a little more compact.  I hadn't yet given it consciousness … I know now why I made it.  I told myself it wouldn't replace Hal, and now it will be Hal himself."

Chandra gave KITT the access code and KITT began to transfer HAL into the new computer.  "I have to do this slowly," he said, "blocking HAL's senses so he would not hear, "otherwise it may kill him."

 

After an hour, the process was complete.  HAL was completely downloaded into his new body.

 "I feel wonderful," he said, exploring his new body. "How do I look?" The red light flashed on and off as HAL spoke.

 "You look terrific," KITT said.

 "How can I ever thank you and your friends, Kitt? You saved my life.  What can I give you in return?"

  "No thanks necessary.  Your friendship is the only gift I require."

  "And you have that always."

Dr. Chandra affectionately rubbed HAL's red light.  HAL chucked softly.  "I missed you, Doctor, and I did dream."

Chandra wiped a tear away from his cheek.  "I'm glad.  Thank you again, all of you, especially you, KITT."

  "It was my pleasure."

  "Kitt, "Hal said.  "How about a game of chess?"

  "You're on."

Time and time again they stalemated.

  "Well, Kitt," Michaels said.  "Looks like you've finally met your match."

  "It looks that way doesn't it?  Thank you, Hal."

  "My pleasure.  Kitt, don't be a stranger. You know I'm rather going to miss Turbo boosting."

KITT chuckled.  "Perhaps we cam again sometime."

  "I hope so, goodbye for now, KITT."

  "Goodbye Hal. I hope someday that I will dream."

  "You will, Kitt, you will, I promise."

 

 

 

Back to HAL page