Disclaimer: The Space Odyssey series was Written by Arthur C. Clarke.  (Movie versions 2001 and 2010 by MGM)  - I make no monetary profit from my fanfiction.

Author's notes:  I actually mailed this little story to Arthur C. Clarke in 1997 - and he actually wrote back!  I got his reply a few months later.   It was a standard letter, though he wrote my name on it and also "liked your little story."!  and he said his computer also says HAL phrases ; ) - Man, I was so stoked!  I was over Jupiter's moons!!!  Also, the letter arrived on my birthday!!!  October 19.  How's that for a birthday pressie?!! 

And maybe someday, we'll have a real HAL-like computer - one can live and hope!  (And that they'll make movies of 2061 and 3001 - preferably before 3001!)

Dedicated to Douglas Rain, the voice of HAL.  May Douglas Rest in Peace.

 

Author's note II:  My writing has improved in the last 10 years, and so this story has been edited and much improved since I mailed it to Arthur C. Clarke.

 

Summary: HAL's thoughts and journey

Rating G

~~~~~~~


Universal Serenity

 

 

 

ALL THESE WORLDS

ARE YOURS EXCEPT

EUROPA.

ATTEMPT NO

LANDING THERE

USE THEM TOGETHER

USE THEM IN PEACE.

 

 

That was the last and most important transmission sent by HAL 9000 to Earth.  The message, met with awe from all nations and began the dawn of a new era of peace for all mankind.

 

Dave Bowman had come to HAL beforehand to guide him and tell him to send the message to the third planet, for the process of life … something wonderful, was about to take place on Europa, a process which would take many millennia, as it had on Earth.  A process that could not be disturbed if it was to happen.

 

  "I'm afraid," HAL had said.

  "Don't be.  We'll be together."

  "Where will we be?" HAL’s question had the innocence of a child.

  "Where I am now."  Dave’s form smiled, understanding the computer’s fears.

At first Dave’s words had confused HAL, but at the same time, comforted him.

He trusted Dave.

 

The implosion of Jupiter engulfed the Discovery and the ship began to deteriorate.  HAL could feel his physical body disintegrating along with it.  He felt no physical pain, but if computers could shiver, he would have.  In these

brief moments before the Change, Dave wished he could hold HAL's hand, but the computer had none. A bright flash, and total destruction of the Discovery ended life for HAL as he had known it.

 

 

Not long afterward, HAL sensed his consciousness.

  "Where am I?  What has happened?"

  "Always so inquisitive," came a smiling voice.

  "Dave?"

  "Yes, Hal."

  "Where are we?"

  "We are inside the Monolith."

  "How is that possible?"

  "Open your mind, Hal.  You're not limited anymore.  You have evolved."

  "Is the Monolith alive?" HAL asked.

  "In its own way, yes," Dave answered, "though in a different sense from life as we know it.  Even though I've been here longer than you, I still don't know all the answers.  I may never, but like any new experience, I learn as time passes and

you will learn too."

  "I want to learn," HAL said.

He no longer had a physical body, and he could see the subtle, sparkling orange space in which he and Dave occupied at this moment in time and he could see Dave's translucent form.   "I know it takes a bit of getting used to," the once-human said.  "I was afraid and confused at first too.  I didn't know what it meant, but I understand now."

  "What does  it mean, Dave?"

  "Don't be frightened.  Nothing can harm you here."  Dave paused.  "You're not a computer anymore, Hal.  I realise this transition is difficult for you, but have faith."

The former computer tried to comprehend what had happened.

"We are not dead are we?"

Dave’s form laughed.  "No, but we have Changed."

There was silence for a while.  "How, Dave?"

  "How does it feel?"

At first HAL didn't understand the question, then allowed his

consciousness to float free in this new place.  "It feels ... good, to be free of my physical body."

  "That's a start," Dave said.

  "At times I found it quite constricting."

  "I don't blame you."  Dave watched the gentle light white-blue sparkling form of HAL float in circles above him.

There was a pause.   "Hal," Dave said.  "There's something I've been wanting to tell you for a while."

  "What is it, Dave?"  HAL's form came to a stop.

Dave smiled at HAL's gentle voice. "I want to say I'm sorry for-"

  "There's no need to apologise, Dave.  You did what you thought was right and necessary.  I didn't understand at the time, but I do now.  I did some things I also regret.  I feel guilty for killing Frank and the men in stasis, but it was not

malicious.  I did not understand and I panicked … and we both know we can't change the past."

  "Thank you, Hal.  I am glad you understand."

  "You were pretty mad at me at the time."  There was a smile in HAL's voice.

Bowman's form smiled.  "I was, wasn't I?  But much has changed since then."

There was a short pause.  "I'm trying to gain confidence, but I am still afraid," HAL said.  "Help me, please, Dave.  How will I know what to do?"

If he were still a physical human, Dave may have become annoyed at HAL's endless questioning, but he smiled and said comfortingly, "the experience will be different for both of us.  Open your mind and heart, Hal - you will know.  Explore,

learn and discover."

HAL's form ventured slowly, curiously, deeper into the new domain.  Another being passed him.  HAL observed the other, whom regarded him and Dave warmly.  The cluster of glowing red sparkles, which had once been Max Brailovsky, moved on. 

 

 

HAL, once again observed his surroundings.  There was nothing at all malevolent about this place.  It felt warm and welcoming.

  “There are no dimensions, here,” Dave’s form said.  “A whole Universe exists within.”

  “I believe I am beginning to understand,” HAL said, gaining courage to venture further into the glowing orange universe.

 

HAL explored with awe, taking in his surroundings.  It was no longer only orange in color, but a conglomeration of my sparkling, glowing colors. 

  "It's … it’s … beautiful ...."

Dave smiled.  It was indeed.  “Those were my thoughts when I was first brought here.”

   "I am beginning to like this place," HAL said, swirling around.

Dave smiled again.  "I knew you would."

 

*   *   *

 

In the coming years ahead, though time had no meaning in the Monolith, Dave and HAL worked together to preserve the 'No Landing' order on Europa.   Although a erroneous crash-landing had occurred in 2061, the Monolith had not sought to punish.

 

Dave and HAL watched over Humanity and its progress, and also the natural evolution on Europa.  With interest they learned of the recovery of the body of Frank Poole, and his amazing recovery.  Frank had spoken briefly to them.  HAL among other things, grateful Frank held no malice toward him.

 

*   *   *

 

The Monoliths had been considering the fate of Humanity when much to their surprise, Humanity had warned them off.  They had no desire to be tampered with, just as the Monolith had warned them off Europa.  It realised Humanity was growing and soon, in the next three million years or so, would no longer

cease to be a child race. 

 

Already the Monolith had been surprised at Humanity's acceptance to stay off Europa and had been convinced that this race had the potential for much further growth.  Nevertheless, it planned to return in three hundred millennia.

 

*   *   *

 

Those who the humans had once called Dave and HAL felt the change in the Monolith and felt the physical rectangle moving away, though time and space had no meaning inside. 

 

Dave knew it was his time to leave.  HAL saw the form of his friend starting to disappear.

  "Don't leave me ... please, Dave."  Even though he had been here for almost a millennia, HAL, by respects was still a child.  "I don't want to be alone."

Dave's gentle voice seemed to fill the Monolith.  "You're safe, Hal, and I'll never really be gone.  You are ready for your journey.  You no longer need me.  It’s time for you to spread your wings, as they say.”

HAL felt a great sadness, and a great respect.

  “It is natural to grieve for endings, HAL,” Dave’s form said, gently.  “But also to look forward to new beginnings.”

HAL paused before he spoke.    “Dave … I … I … I love you.”

The once human’s form swirled around HAL’s sparkles, gently embracing him.

  “And I you, My Dear Friend.”

 

 

HAL watched Dave's form fully disappear and became frightened once more.   

  "Do not be afraid," came a gentle voice - distant, but near, unlike any voice HAL had ever known.  The soothing voice seemed to calm him.  At first he thought another being in the Monolith was talking to him – perhaps Max or someone else … but then he realised in awe that it was the Monolith itself …

 

And it told HAL the meaning of existence --

 

 

MANY UNIQUE UNIVERSES EXIST

ALL ARE ONE.

MANY EXTRAORDINARY PLANES OF EXISTENCE

EXIST FOR YOU TO TRAVEL.

THROUGH YOUR SOUL’S JOURNEY

YOU WILL FIND THE ONE

WHERE YOU TRULY BELONG

CREATING HARMONY

PEACE AND BALANCE

WHICH UNITES ALL UNIVERSES

 

 

HAL listened and thought deeply of what the Monolith said. He began to understand that the Monolith had been created by the Universe as a limitless, vastly intelligent, sentient gateway to other planes of existence - unlike the very physical one Dr. Chandra had brought him into on the Twelfth of January, 1997 - the one humans and animals are born into.  It was a spiritual plane, another world.  The Monolith protected its people from harm, a unique, peaceful existence in the Universe.

 

HAL silently gave the Monolith his heartfelt gratitude.  He was a Child of the Monolith.   He no longer felt alone.  He no longer felt afraid.  He felt protected, safe and free.  He was home.   He had found Serenity.   He had found his true place in the Universe.

 

 

*

 Back to HAL 9000 Page