Disclaimer:  The Harry Potter Universe was created by J. K. Rowling.

 

No monetary profit is being made from this writing

 

Summary: Severus Snape contemplates his actions and what lies ahead.

 

Big spoilers for "Half Blood Prince."

 

Drama - PG

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

IN THE HANDS OF THE GODS

 

 

 

As I lower myself into the old bathtub, the small luxury which I had been craving, the warm water does little to comfort me.  I didn't expect it to.  I glance at the cobbled stone walls and confide with them in silence.  Outside I hear the Dark Lord barking orders at his Death Eaters and I am annoyed with the disruption of my silence, though it does not last long and the voices die away.

 

I am on the run now. I can never return to Hogwarts, that which has been my home for so long.  Spinner's End, if you could call that rat hole a home is probably swarming with Aurors by now.  Will I ever find a place to call home again?

 

I have no home now and the one and only person I could call a friend, the only one who ever trusted me, the only one who gave me a chance is dead - at my hand.  No one would believe the truth, least of all Potter.  And what in the blazing hell would he know?  Called me a coward.  A coward!  The nerve of the brat.  I doubt his miniscule brain could grasp the enormity of what I had been asked to do. 

 

He told me it had to be done.  At first I refused, blatantly.  How in the name of Merlin could he expect me to take the life of the one person I cared for?  In the end he pleaded.  It would have disgusted me if he had been pleading for his life.  It struck me that he was pleading me to do what had to be done and I did it.  It was the hardest thing I had ever done and I hated myself for it.  I only hope Albus Dumbledore's death was not in vain.

 

And I sincerely hope Potter appreciates what's been done for him.  Seeing the burning hatred in his eyes rivalled my own hatred of myself.  When the time comes, will he have what it takes to defeat Voldemort, I wonder?  From what I've seen, I very much doubt it.  Looks like I'll have to save his arse - yet again.

 

I have to lie low for now, there are those even amongst the Death Eaters who do not trust me, and if I raised my wand against Voldemort now it would be too soon.  Only time will give the final answers.

 

I am not certain I will survive the final battle, I'm not sure I want to.  Peace, internal or external is something that has always eluded me.  Perhaps in death I will find it.

 

It is rather chilly when I step out of the now lukewarm bath water and dry myself. These walls now being the only ones I can confide in.

 

As for what lies in the coming days ahead, it's in the hands of the Gods.

 

 

*

 

Back to Snape/Lucius page