Disclaimer:   The Discworld Universe was created by Terry Pratchett.  All Hail!  ;)

 

I make no Royal Dollars from my writing, only the laughter it brings - hopefully!

 

Summary:  Death needs help and there’s only one person he can call ... and no, it’s not the Ghostbusters ...

 

Author’s note:   This story began as a dream I had in the wee hours one cold Winter’s morn ...

 

 

Rating G

 

Enjoy!

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A DISCWORLD FANFIC

 

 

DEATH AND GINGER

 

 

Almost everyone on the Disc was frantic as their flat world on the back of four ginormous elephants on the back of an even more ginormous turtle was in disarray.

 

Even Death’s realm had become unstable and he was at a loss.   He’d even tried string and duct tape, but had nothing worked and he realised he needed help and knew of only one person he could call.

 

*   *   *

 

  “Go away,” Rincewind said.  “I’m not ready yet.”

  I HAVE NOT COME FOR YOU.

  “Then why are you here?  Come for tea, I suppose?”

Death’s grin did not falter.

  I ... UHH .... THIS IS ... PUTTING IT BLUNTLY ... I NEED YOUR HELP, YOU SEE.

  “Oh?”

Death paused before he spoke again.

  AS YOU KNOW, A’TUIN IS HEADING FOR UNKNOWN REGIONS OF SPACE.

  “I’ve felt it, yes.”

  YOUR KIND IS MORE SENSITIVE TO SUCH CHANGES.

  “My kind, oh Wizards and magical beings you mean?”

  YES.  GET A CLUE.

  “So ... you need my help do you?”

Death made a noise, that Rincewind thought sounded rather like he was clearing his throat.

  THE ENERGY FLUCTUATIONS OF THIS NEW REGION OF SPACE HAVE DESTABILISED MY REALM, YOU SEE.

  “And let me guess, you need *me* to save it?”

  BINGO.  GIVE THAT MAN A ROYAL DOLLAR.

  “And why would I want to do that?”

  BECAUSE, RINCEWIND, IF YOU DON’T, VERY SOON, OTHER PARTS OF THE DISC WILL BECOME UNSTABLE AND BESIDES, WITHOUT MY REALM, THE DEAD WILL HAVE NOWHERE TO PLAY GO FISH.

Rincewind shook his head.  “All right, Death.  I’ll do it ... probably kick myself in the morning, but not even the Dead should be deprived of go fish.”

Death’s trademark grin appeared to broaden a little.

  YOU HAVE MY GRATITUDE, RINCEWIND, AND I MAY EVEN LET YOU LIVE A LITTLE LONGER WHEN THE TIME COMES.

  “Uhh ... thanks...”

 

*   *   *

 

  “Can I come, can I come, can I come, can I come ... please...”

  “No.”

  “Can I come, can I come, can I come, can I come ... please...”

  “No.”

  “Can I come, can I come, can I come, can I come ... please...”

  “No.”

Tears began to brim in Twoflower’s eyes.  “Ohh please ... Death’s Domain ... Ohh *please...*”

  “Why on the Disc would you want to visit-“

  “It’s one of the few places I’ve not seen on this magnificent Disc ... Ohh please, Rincewind, I won’t be a bother, I promise.  And I just had my picture box fixed.  See?”  Twoflower eagerly showed him.

Rincewind sighed.

  “Pleeeeeeease...”

“Ohh all right ...” the Wizard gave in, unable to shun the newborn Troll look in Twoflower’s eyes.

  “Ohh thankyouthankyouthankyou...” The tourist hugged him.

Rincewind sighed inwardly.  It was going to be one of *those* days.

 

*    *    *

 

Needless to say Death was quite surprised, not to mention taken that a mortal wanted to see his world, and humoured Twoflower by showing him about.  The tourist had politely inquired if it was allowed to take photographs and Death was only too happy to oblige.   No one had ever *wanted* to come to his realm, before, let alone take happy snaps.

  “A bit dark,” Twoflower remarked casually.

  IT’S THE UNDERWORLD.  WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

 

*    *    *

 

Pitterpatter pitterpatter pitterpatter ....

Rincewind sighed as the Luggage caught up with him.  It snapped open and shut and Rincewind surmised it was very happy to see him and it even allowed him to pat it, without so much as a grunt.

  “You’d better stand over there,” Rincewind said.  “This could get ugly.”

The Luggage appeared to nod and scurried behind a large rock, and peered out cautiously at the Wizard.

 

Rincewind closed his eyes, and gathered his energies.

  “Now what was that spell again ... Oh yes ... “ He began to raise his arms slowly.

  “By the Great Galaxies ... I call forth the Sands of Protection, The Waters of Protection, The Fires of Protection and the ... whatever else of protection...”

  THAT’S ALL?   I COULD HAVE DONE THAT, Death remarked.

Rincewind grunted.  “Only a Wizard can do it and I can just go home you know.”

  UHH ... CARRY ON ...

Rincewind’s arms raised higher as his robes took on a life of their own.

 

*    *    *

 

Death’s realm shook.

  YOU’D BETTER BE ON YOUR WAY, he said to Twoflower.   LOOKS LIKE IT‘S GONNA BE A BUMPY RIDE.

Twoflower snapped one last picture of the Hill Of Night and the surrounding forests.  “Ohh can’t I come again sometime?” 

  OF COURSE.  EVERONE DOES.  SOONER OR LATER.   HE IS A STRANGE ONE ...

Death transported Twoflower to the surface, but not before the mortal patted Binky goodbye.

 

*    *    *

 

Though he was on the surface of the Disc, Rincewind could see Death’s entire Realm, even into Death’s bedroom ... not that he was *looking...*

The Wizard countered the energies with the things of protection, and began to stabilise Death’s Realm.  A’Tuin seemed aware of what was happening and began to steer clear of any negative or smelly energy.

 

*    *    *

 

A final, powerful  blast of energy hit Death’s Realm, throwing Death right smack bang into the Gazebo.

Rincewind looked worried as Death stood.

  THAT WAS FUN.  DO IT AGAIN.

Rincewind glared at him, trying to stifle a smile as he released the energies he’d absorbed, harmlessly into the Universe.   From their separate vantage points, Death and Twoflower watched in awe, such bright colours, they’d never seen anything so beautiful in his their entire lives ... or death in Death’s case, unaware what they were seeing was in actual fact the energetic equivalent of excrement.

 

When he’d finished, Rincewind in a bright flash, collapsed, exhausted, all his energy and power spent, and he was transformed into a plate of sushi ginger.  The Luggage jumped up and down in a frantic frenzy.

 

Twoflower climbed the hill to fetch Rincewind and became concerned when he saw neither hide nor hair nor cape of the wizard.

  “Rincewind, you here?”

Then he looked down and saw a plate of pink ginger.  Curious, not to mention somewhat puzzled, he walked toward it.  Frantically, the ginger tried to tell Twoflower who he really was, but one must remember ginger does not talk, sadly.   The Luggage jumped up and down wildly.  Rincewind in the form of the ginger, tried to move, even an inch, but then ginger does not move on its own.

Becoming more than desperate now, Rincewind’s whole life began to flash before his ... well ginger does not have eyes ... And he began to think of all the places he had not been, all the things he had not seen but of all the sights he had not seen, the inside of Twoflower’s stomach was not one of them.  So this was it... Rincewind hadn’t exactly pictured that this was how it would end ... and he wondered where Death was.  //That’d be right// he mused.  //Waiting until the last moment.  Cheeky bugger...//

Twoflower eyed the ginger slivers hungrily, though sensed something was incredibly odd about this particular ginger.   He looked around.  “Rincewind, where have you gotten to?”

  //I’m on the plate, down here ... If you’re going to eat me, at least hurry up.//

The ginger began to sparkle and Twoflower dropped the plate.  Rincewind fully formed and landed with a thud.

  “Ow.”

 “Oh,” Twoflower said.  “There you are.  I thought there was something fishy about that ginger.”

Rincewind hid his relief as he rubbed his sore backside.

  SORRY ABOUT THAT.

Rincewind glared up at Death.  “About my sore bottom or me turning into a plate of ginger?”

  THERE WAS ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY YOU WOULD HAVE EXHAUSTED YOUR POWERS AND TURNED INTO ... SOMETHING.

  “Which you conveniently neglected to mention...”

  WELL, AS I SAID, IT WAS ONLY A POSSIBILITY.

  “But ginger?”

  THE LAST THING ON YOUR MIND, WHICH AT THAT POINT HAPPENED TO BE, YES, GINGER.

  “I almost died.”

  YOUNG TWOFLOWER REALISED THERE WAS SOMETHING AMISS ABOUT THE GINGER.

  “And if he hadn’t?” Rincewind asked, cross.

  RINCEWIND YOU’RE NO FUN.  I WOULD HAVE COMPENSATED, YOU DID SAVE MY REALM AFTER ALL AND TWOFLOWER HERE HAS PROVEN HIMSELF TO BE MORE THAN JUST AWKWARD FACE.

The tourist beamed.  “I knew it!”

Death seemed to smile as he helped Rincewind up.

  MAY IT BE A WHILE BEFORE I CLAIM YOU.

  “A long while.”

  “Can I have some ginger?” Twoflower asked.

Death raised a bony finger and a plate of ginger slivers appeared in the Tourists’ hands and he gobbled it up without a second thought.  Rincewind shuddered and vowed never to eat ginger again.

The plate disappeared.  “Thanks!”

  DE NADA.

Twoflower smiled.  “I’d love the chance to see your humble abode sometime again, Death.”

  YOU WILL.

  “Splendid,” the Tourist smiled.  “I can’t tell you what a wonderful time I’ve had.”

Death seemed amused.

  “And I’ve learnt there are two constants in life.”

  OH?

  “Death and Ginger.”

Rincewind groaned inwardly.  

Death turned to him.   CAN I DO ANYTHING FOR YOU?

The Wizard sighed.  “Just take me ... and him home.”

  YOUR WISH IS MY ...

  “Just do it already.”

  MY YOU’RE IN A MOOD.  VERY WELL.

He raised his other bony finger.   BON VOYAGE.

The Luggage looked up at Rincewind, opened its lid and emitted a pitiful winge, then looked to Death, then at Rincewind again.

  “Oh all right...” The Wizard sighed.  “If it’s okay with Death.”

Taken a little by surprise, Death then nodded.   HEY, SURE, WHY NOT?  COULD COME IN HANDY, he decided.

The Luggage jumped excitedly and Rincewind decided it was the only thing on the entire Disc that was madder than Twoflower, but then again, he thought, even Death needs company.

 

In a flash, the Wizard and Tourist disappeared to reappear in a rowdy bar in Ankh-Morpork, leaving a perplexed Luggage, wondering where they had gone.

Death hopped onto Binky and affectionately stroked the white horse, who snorted softly.  Death looked down at the Luggage.

   COME ON THEN.

The Luggage looked up, snapped to attention as Death took off, the Luggage scuttling after him, following him all the way home.

 

Pitterpatter pitterpatter pitterpatter ...

 

 

 

*

 

 

Back to Discworld Page