Disclaimer: The Harry Potter Universe was created by J. K. Rowling.

No monetary profit is being made from this writing

Summary: The Malfoys invite Harry to dinner

Humourish – PG

~~~~~~~~~~~

GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER

 

Harry was forced to tidy up the kitchen.

"Then start on the lounge, Boy."

"Yes, Uncle Vernon." Harry glared after his rather large uncle.

Shortly after, a knock sounded at the door. Petunia Dursley answered it, to be greeted by an elderly man in a black suit.

"I beg your pardon, Madam, but I am here to see Master Harry Potter."

Petunia and Vernon looked puzzled.

"What is your business with my nephew?" Vernon demanded.

"I have been sent by London Grammar School to assess if young Potter is eligible for a scholarship."

The Dursley’s eyes lit up like Christmas trees. "A scholarship you say?"

The older man nodded and gestured toward a black stretch limousine.

Vernon went to fetch Harry.

"But I don’t want to ..." Harry started to protest.

"Quiet, Boy," his uncle hissed. "You’ll get that scholarship and go to a *normal* school!"

Harry scowled.

"Smile," Vernon demanded.

Reluctantly, Harry did as he was ordered as he followed the old man down the driveway. To his surprise his aunt, uncle and cousin were waving, seemingly happily, but then he mused it was just to give an impression of a happy family. Typical he thought.

The elderly man spoke as he drove away. "I’m sorry for my deception, Mr Potter, but I am in fact taking you to see your friend Hermione."

"Hermione!" Harry exclaimed. "Really?"

The driver smiled. "Yes. The Grangers didn’t think the Dursley’s would let you come otherwise."

"They were right. They wouldn’t have. Thank you."

"My pleasure."

"How has she been?"

"Fine, fine. Hermione and her parents are looking forward to seeing you."

"The feeling’s mutual."

For the hour and a half drive, Harry looked forward to meeting his friend.

"Here we are," the driver pulled up by an enormous house. In front lay a large courtyard, with a labyrinth and a fountain. Harry stared.

"Wow ... Hermione never told me her place was so ... big."

"The Grangers are rather quiet about their lifestyle," the driver said, exiting the car and opening the door for Harry.

Potter followed the older man up the stone stairs to the house. The man waved a hand and the front door opened.

"They’ll be waiting for you upstairs."

Harry smiled and eagerly began to traverse the stairs. Halfway up he was overcome by an odd feeling. He looked around him. Many statues adorned the wooden stairs, as he looked up, the walls and ceiling were decorated with intricate patterning. Something didn’t feel quite right. Somehow this didn’t feel like Hermione’s place, but then why wouldn’t it be? Harry asked himself. He shook the feeling off and continued up the stairs. He entered a large deserted room. Around the perimeter of this room, more ancient looking statues stood and the walls and ceiling were adorned with similar patterning.

"Hello ..." Harry called. "Hello ... Hermione?"

"So glad you could join us, Potter."

Harry turned, slowly, a shiver traversing him. "You! ... " He brandished his wand. "Where’s Hermione? What’ve you done with her?"

Lucuis Malfoy smiled. "Nothing, Dear Boy. I’m afraid that was just a ruse to bring you here."

"But why?"

"Would you have come if the Malfoys had invited you to dinner?"

"Probably not."

"Exactly ... And relax, Potter, there’s no need for that," he said, indicating Harry’s wand. "I’m not going to kill you."

"You’ve already lied to me once."

"Come," older wizard said. "I believe dinner is being served."

"I’m not hungry."

"Don’t be like that, Harry."

The younger boy realised this was the first time Lucius had ever used his first name. He gestured for Harry to follow him. Against his better judgement, the younger boy did.

"Good of you to join us, Potter," Draco said with a smile Harry did not return.

The blonde boy hadn’t expected him to.

Lucius gestured for Harry to sit next to his son. "Please excuse my wife’s absence," he said. "She had an appointment elsewhere."

Harry immediately felt sorry for the house elves that brought out the first course.

"Fresh Cornish pixies," Lucius said, "baked in lemon grass and basil sauce."

Harry pushed the plate away in disgust. "I’m vegetarian."

He wasn’t, but he wasn’t about to eat the poor creatures.

"I assure you, it’s not poisoned," Lucius said.

"And as I said, you’ve *already* lied to me."

"Dear boy, if I wanted you dead, you would be." Lucius glared at him.

Potter swallowed. "Whatever you want can’t be good for me. You’re probably planning to sacrifice me to bring Voldemort back."

Draco snickered.

Lucius smiled. "My, my, Potter, you have a very active imagination."

Harry helped himself to a green salad on the table as Lucius and Draco began on their blue pixies. Harry didn’t watch.

The salad was one of the best he’d ever tasted, but he didn’t care. All he wanted was to leave. Even the Dursley’s place was preferable to here. They might hate him as much as the Malfoys, but at least they didn’t give him the creeps.

Desert was brought out next.

"I trust you eat chocolate, Potter?" Lucius said. "One of the *very* few impressive things muggles have created."

Harry didn’t bother to comment as a chocolate and vanilla pudding was brought out. He started on it and again it tasted better than anything out of Aunt Petunia’s cook books. Harry began to feel uncomfortable when both Malfoys appeared be to watching him. He began to feel drowsy, then stared at Lucius.

"But you said it wasn’t ..."

The long haired man smiled. "I lied."

Harry’s eyes grew wide, his mouth open as fear gripped him, also angry at his own foolishness. He fell to the floor, struggling and pulling some crockery down with him.

"You could’ve told him it was just a sleeping potion," Draco said.

"And miss that beautiful display of raw, pure unadulterated fear?" Lucius said. "Not for all the Galleons in Gringotts."

"How long will he be out for?"

"A couple of hours at least," The elder Malfoy stood, walked to Harry and pulled him clear of the table.

"What exactly are you going to do with him?" Draco asked.

Lucius answered his son’s question. "I have been told that when Voldemort cursed him, he transferred some of his powers to him. His ability to speak Parseltongue and so forth. I intend to transfer those powers again." He tapped himself with his wand.

Draco looked up. "But isn’t that dangerous?"

"Not if it’s done correctly."

"But it might kill him."

"Not concerned are you?"

"No ... It’s just that if Harry dies ... and if you’re caught you’ll go to Azkaban."

"Do not concern yourself, Draco. Harry will die, as after this I have no further use for him ... " Lucius smiled. "And no one knows he’s here ... After I have transferred his powers to myself, I will do what Voldemort could not."

Draco backed off a little. "Be careful."

"I intend to." Lucius gave his wand a flick and pointed it at Harry.

"Transfereverto un Voldemort!"

A blue bolt shot from the wand into Harry. Harry’s body jerked as a white light shot from it back into Lucius, sending him flying across the room into the far wall.

"Father!" Draco exclaimed.

Lucius looked up, his long hair a mess. It was a moment before he stood, brushing hair form his face. "It worked ... I have Voldemort’s powers..."

He clenched his fist and flexed his hand.

"How can you be sure?" Draco asked.

"I feel it ... I feel it in my blood ..."

Draco had never seen his father look so evil and it scared him.

"What about Potter?" he asked,

"I’ll deal with him when he comes to. I want him to see his life end."

Malfoy and son did not have to wait too long for Harry to regain consciousness. The bespectacled boy blinked and sat up, with his hand on his head. "What ... where..."

"I’m afraid it wasn’t all a bad dream, Potter," Lucius said, his blue eyes glinting evilly and he chuckled. "Oh and I lied. I *am* going to kill you."

Harry fumbled for his wand to protect himself.

"Looking for this?" Lucius asked as he flung Harry’s wand aside. "The time has come for you to join your parents, Potter..."

Harry stared wide eyed and helpless.

The white haired wizard raised his wand. "AVADA ..." He paused and looked down at Harry and began again. "Avada ..."

Draco looked puzzled.

Lucius pointed his wand at Potter again. "Avada ... I can’t do it ... What the *hell* is wrong with me?" He tried again. "AVADA ... " Lucius shook his head. "I ... I can’t ... he’s so helpless ... What the hell am I *saying*!! What’s happening?!"

"Perhaps I can answer that question, Lucius."

Malfoy senior turned and glared at the newcomer. "What are *you* doing here? And how did you know –"

"Harry has many friends, Lucius," Dumbledore said. "Many eyes see and protect him."

"Blast!" Lucius hissed. "I’ll kill you, Potter, witnesses or not! AVADA ..." The long haired wizard bared his teeth. "I don't *believe* this!! I *can’t* kill him! He’s so young ... I ... I just can’t do it! ... But why ... what the name of Merlin’s the matter with me?"

"If I may, Lucius," Dumbledore interjected, "when you tried to transfer Voldemort’s powers to you, you said ‘Transfereverto un Voldemort."

"Yes. And?"

"The correct wordage would have been ‘Transfereverto *de* Voldemort.’"

Lucius grew paler and colder than usual. "Oh ... so what ..."

"What you in fact did was transfer everything *but* Voldemort’s powers to you. If effect you transferred or rather copied Harry’s qualities, including his kindness."

"No!" Lucius shook his head. "That can’t happen! *No!* ..." He looked over at Dumbledore desperately. "Please tell me it’s temporary."

"I’m afraid not, Lucius."

"*NO!!!*" Malfoy screamed. He shook his head in despair. He raised his wand to try again, but to no avail. "*Damn you, Potter!*"

Harry stood and smiled. "My pleasure, Mr Malfoy."

"Wipe that smile off your face *right now*, Potter, or I’ll..."

"You’ll what? Kill me?"

Lucius screamed in frustration. Draco stared wide eyed,

Dumbledore smiled. "It’s not such a bad thing is it, Lucius?"

Malfoy senior scowled and glared at him. "Easy for *you* to say ..."

"In light of recent events, Lucius," Dumbledore said. "You will not be taken to Azkaban, despite several attempts at *murder.*"

"I don't know which is worse!" the elder Malfoy hissed.

Dumbledore smiled. "I look forward to getting to know the new you, Lucius."

"Get out of my house, the both of you. NOW!!"

"With pleasure," Harry said. "Been a pleasure dining with you, Draco, Mr Malfoy."

"Get out! Get out! GET OUT!!!"

Harry left down the stairs with Dumbledore.

"What do you suppose will happen to him now?"

"It’ll take a bit of getting used to," Dumbledore said, "but I think we’ll see some positive changes."

Harry nodded. "Now I have to go back to the Dursleys’ and tell them that I didn’t get that scholarship. Whoo boy."

Dumbledore smiled. "You’ll manage, Harry."

Lucius sat at his long dinner table, looking depressed as ever and Draco felt sorry for him. He had never seen his father so upset.

"Father, we still have some freshly caught Cornish pixies. I could stew some up for you. That’ll cheer you up, it’s your favourite."

Lucius looked forlorn. "Bring me a garden salad," he grumbled.

 

*

 

Back to Snape/Lucius Page