Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

DO WHAT YOU THINK YOU CANNOT DO

 

 

 

  //Do what you think you cannot do.//

I hear your voice inside my mind.  I have done so many things that I thought I could not, thanks to you, Master, but this I cannot do.  I cannot live without you, Master.

  //Do what you think you cannot do.//

Master, I can’t ...  You once told me there is no such word as can’t.  But I can’t do this.  I can’t!  I tried, Master, I really did.  I pretended it didn’t happen, that you were alive and well.  I even talked to you, but in truth I spoke to the wall.  Were you there the night I got drunk and injected a death stick after you died in my arms?  I really couldn’t have cared whether I lived or died, but I knew you would care, so I pulled myself together, for Anakin.  For you.

 

I wipe bitter tears from my face, knowing you will never be there to console me, to hold me, never to hear you speak to me again.  Master, I cannot live without you.  I sigh to myself as I hear your words again in my mind.  I take a deep breath as I sip my diluted pallie juice.  Okay, Master, I’ll try.  It won’t be easy, but I’ll try to live without you.  And now I hear Master Yoda’s voice.  //Do or do not.  There is no try.//

I put down my juice.  It seems I cannot escape.  You told me it would be a hard life, but never did I imagine it would be without you.  Why couldn’t it have been me?  Why couldn’t Maul have killed me instead?  Why was I meant to go on without you?  I hated him, Master for the longest time, for what he did to you, but I had to let it go.  Hate leads to the Dark Side, I know.

 

And Anakin, I feel I failed you.  I had to kill him, Master, kill my own Padawan.  Was he the Chosen one?  I’m sure if you trained him he would not have turned.  I sip my juice again and sigh, twirling the silver cup.

 

But I know I must live without you, but not without the knowledge that your spirit never died.  I don’t want to wallow in my own self pity, Master, however much I miss you and love you, but if I know you, your spirit never left my side. You were there with me when I almost wasted myself that night, protecting me, you were there with me when I was taken to the shelter to recover.  You were there with me the day Anakin turned.  You were there with me all the time.

  “Always, Obi-Wan.”

  “Master?” I stand.

You appear before me and I realise that you had not come to me before, as you were allowing me space to grieve.  Always so considerate.  You smile warmly.  I missed your smile.

  “I miss you, Master.” Tears fall from my eyes.

Your glowing arms embrace me and I feel your warmth.

  “I don’t know if I can go on.”

  “Of course you can, Obi-Wan.  Do what you think you cannot do.”

 And now I know I can, because I don’t have to live without you, Master as you are always by my side.

 

          

    *

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page