Disclaimer:  The Harry Potter Universe was created by J. K. Rowling.

 

No monetary profit is being made from this writing

 

Summary: Voldemort declares war on the Muggles and those against him. 

 

Author's note:  This story was based on a dream I had.

 

Warnings:  Death and Resurrection.

 

Drama - PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

HERE THERE BE ANGELS

 

 

The Dark Lord along with his Death Eaters had been captured and taken to Azkaban. The Dementor's Kiss was to be applied to his followers, but he himself was to be executed.  A hoard of Aurors had been gathered to perform the execution.  He who should not be named stood in front of them unfaltering.

A list of crimes was read out.  Voldemort looked as though he was getting bored.  The Aurors were not impressed.  Tonks stood in the row behind, her hair becoming bright red with rage.

  "You, Voldemort are to be executed on this day," Mad Eye Moody said.

Voldemort said nothing, bar a single request.  "I wish Lucius Malfoy to be with me to witness my execution.  He is my most loyal subject."

The request was granted.

  "I am honoured, My Lord," Lucius said, beaming.

The Aurors raised their wands to perform the Avada Kedavra curse.  The moment they spoke it, Voldemort grabbed Lucius, used him as a shield, and let his lifeless body drop to the floor.  Before the Aurors knew what had happened, he grabbed one of their wands, performing a wide spread Avada Kedavra killing them all, bar one, but she was covered with corpses now, hidden from Voldemort.  Satisfied, the Dark Lord looked down at Malfoy's body.  "Loyal to the last."

 

It was many hours before Tonks found the courage to emerge.  The Death Eaters had gone, the Dementors had gone and she was surrounded by death.  She didn't know how he got his hands free, the cuffs were supposed to be fool proof.  Not Voldemort proof, obviously, and she almost felt sorry for Malfoy.  She was the only one alive now who had seen the looked of shocked horror on his face, the look of hurt and betrayal and she would warn the wizarding world that Voldemort was free and no one was safe and she would tell them what had happened here.

 

 

*    *    *

 

Lucius looked up to face a red robed figure.

  "Hades," he said, standing.  "Let me guess I'm going to Tartarus, right?"

  "You tell me."

Lucius sighed with a shiver.  "I know I've hardly been a good boy, but you have to let me go back."

  "Why in the Underworld would I do that?"

  "To help stop Voldemort."

  "You were his most loyal subject, remember?"

Lucius glowered and his cobalt eyes darkened.  "That was before he betrayed me.  Hades, My Lord, I know I am asking a lot, but you must let me go back … to protect my son."

  "So that's the real reason…"

  "Until the war is over."

Hades mulled it over.  "Very well," he said after a pause, "until the war is over, you may fight, but you must not be seen by your son until it is over and when it is over you must return to me."

Lucius nodded.  "Thank you, Lord Hades."

And Lucius returned to fight his former Lord.

 

*    *    *

 

  "You killed my father!" Draco yelled at Voldemort.

  "Now, now Draco," Narcissa said.  "Sacrifices must be made."

Draco stared at his mother.  "How can you say that?!"

Narcissa glared at her son.

Voldemort held up a hand.  "It was a shock for the boy, let him get over it, then he will come to his senses."

  "I hope he does, for his sake," Narcissa said, leaving with the Dark Lord.

 

*    *    *

 

Draco approached Harry and his friends.  Harry took out his wand.

  "Put that away, Potter," Draco demanded.  "I want to join you."

  "You seriously expect me to believe that?"

  "Voldemort killed my father.  You know how that feels.  He killed your father too."

  "You still have your mother."

  "She left with Voldemort.  She's no mother of mine."

Harry blinked, then put away his wand.

  "You're telling the truth, aren't you?"

Malfoy nodded.  "I want that son of a bitch dead."

 

 

*    *    *

 

Within weeks the Muggles knew all about the wizarding world, thanks to Voldemort's war.  Arthur Weasley and others had been desperately trying to convince the Muggles that not all wizards were bad.  Some had given their lives to protect the Muggles.

 

The Malfoy Manor had been bombed, killing Narcissa, though Voldemort escaped.

 

  "Those filthy Muggles!" Lucius Malfoy snarled, haring the news.  "That mansion was in my family for generations!"

  "Watch it, Malfoy."

  "Sorry … Hades…"

 

*    *    *

 

  "Hermione, get down!" Draco yelled as a Death Eater performed the killing curse.  The blast hit her leg.

Malfoy rushed to her.  "Never thought I'd save a mudblood," he said with a smile, countering the Death Eater's next curse.  Draco picked up the wounded Hermione and took her to a safe place.

  "Thanks, Draco … never thought I'd hear myself say that."

The two smiled.

 

 

*    *    *

 

Ron stared at the newspaper headline again before bursting into tears. 

Harry rushed to him.  "Ron, what is it?!"

He looked down at the headline of the Daily Prophet.

 

ARTHUR WEASLEY KILLED PROTECTING A FAMILY OF MUGGLES

 

Harry looked crestfallen.   "Ron I'm so sorry …"

  "They didn't get my mum," Ron sobbed, "but…"

Harry placed his arms around his friend, a tear rolling down his cheek. "Voldemort will *pay.*"

Ron looked at the conviction in Harry's eyes and felt it himself.  Voldemort would pay dearly.

 

*    *    *

 

Harry looked down at the Death Eater's body.  It was the first time he'd killed.  He sighed heavily as he sheathed his wand.

  "Believe me it doesn’t get any easier."

Harry looked at the figure approaching him.

  "Professor Snape … You've killed before?"

  "When I've had no other choice."

Harry was relieved that Snape had not decided to run back to Voldemort, despite the fact that the Dark Lord was winning, but he still did not like the older man.

Snape led Harry to a stronghold, where he was relieved to see Ron, Hermione … and Draco.  To his surprise Hermione and Draco seemed rather chummy, and he realised that this war had brought once enemies closer.

 

*    *    *

 

  "Lucius!" Bellatrix Lestrange exclaimed.  "We thought you were dead."

He smiled and took out his wand.  "Never believe anything  you hear … Avada Kedavra!"

Her shocked look gave him satisfaction as her body crumpled to the ground, as he began to fight the others, his long white blonde hair wild with the wind.  What did he have to lose, he wondered.  After the war he was going back to Hades.

 

 

*    *    *

 

Snape, Ron, Hermione and Draco went searching for survivors after Voldemort's last attack.  He knelt down beside a wounded werewolf.

  "Lupin…"

The wolf whined, before turning back, the wounds still with him.

  "Severus …"

Snape picked up Lupin and carried him to safety and set him down gently.

  "It's too late for me."

  "Nonsense."

  "Stay with him," he said to Black.

Sirius nodded.  "Thanks for bringing him, Severus.  I guess I owe you an apology."

  "Not now, we have a war to win."

  "What makes you think we can win?" one of the Hogwarts students asked.

Snape looked down at her, barely in her seventh year, and already been forced to kill.  He knelt down to her.  "Because we must if this world is to be safe."

Harry felt those words were strange coming from Professor Snape of all people, and he felt he had a newfound respect for the Potions Master.

  "Come," he said standing, "let us search for more survivors."

Harry, Hermione, Ron and Draco went with him.

 

  "Well, well, well if it isn't my old friend."

  "Voldemort."  Snape used the name without fear as the Dark Lord came around the corner.

Snape kept the children back, protecting them, as he had done when Lupin had changed into a werewolf that night when Sirius Black had escaped from Azkaban.  Harry thought about it.  As much of a bastard as he thought Snape was, he always seemed to come good in the end.  Voldemort sneered at the children.

  "Come back to me," Voldemort said to Snape.  "And I'll spare your miserable life and the lives of these pitiful *children.*"

Snape's dark eyes pierced Voldemort like a dagger.  "I'd rather die."

Voldemort raised his wand and blasted Hermione in her sore leg.  She fell, Draco and Ron caught her.  Severus glared at Voldemort.

  "It's me you want.  Kill me and let them go."

  "You have a deal."

Snape knew very well Voldemort planned to kill them all, especially Potter and he'd be damned to Hades if he would let that happen.

Voldemort raised his wand.  "AVADA KEDAVRA!"

The blast hit Snape in the stomach, and blasted right back into Voldemort as Snape fell to his knees

  "Reverse spell…" Snape rasped.  Harry caught him as he fell to the ground.

  "No, Professor … surely the spell reversed …"

  "Doesn't work that way … Goodbye … Harry."

It was the first time Snape had used his first name.  Harry held the Professor in his arms and cried.

 

*    *    *

 

Snape opened his eyes, then stood and took in his surroundings.

  "Hades," he said, seeing a figure in a red robe.

  "Very perceptive."

  "The children ..."

  "They're safe."  Hades waved a hand, showing the children.

Snape heard crying, then saw tears streaming down Harry's cheeks.

   "Hermione, she was wounded…"

  "She is all right," Hades promised, "nothing a little magic spell won't cure."

  "But then why are they crying?"

Hades panned the view to show Harry holding Snape's body.

Severus was astounded.  "For me …" He was deeply touched.  "They're crying for me … Harry's crying for *me?*"

  "Yes.  It appears he didn't hate you as much as you thought he did.  Now I've a new guest to deal with and not a very pleasant one."

  "Voldemort."

  "Yes."

  "Let me guess, Tartarus?"

  "Definitely, and I've a special punishment install for him."

 "Let him suffer."

  "That's the idea," Hades said.  "I take no joy in punishment, though it was his choice to live the way he did and he must suffer the consequences."

 

*    *    * 

 

Harry walked in front of his friends, carrying Snape's body to the others.  Professor McGonagall looked shocked.  Dumbledore looked very sad.

  "He gave his life for us," he said.

Even Sirius Black joined them in a moment of silence.

 

*    *    *

 

Hades returned to Snape after he had dealt with Voldemort.  The Dark Lord's screams had satisfied Snape, but it would not bring back what was lost.

  "The Death Eaters will be leaderless now, and they will surrender," he said with a smile.  "Death Eaters … that always sounded funny to me."

Snape gave a small smile.  "Myself as well."

  "Now what to do with you, My Dear Severus … I know …"

Hades raised his hands.  Snape felt himself levitating and he realised he had wings.  Enormous white wings.  He touched back down.

 

He saw a figure approaching.

  "Lucius," Hades said.

The other man nodded.  Snape looked rather surprised.

  "A long story," Lucius said.  "Suffice it to say I received a second chance to fight my former Lord."

Snape nodded.  "I see."

  "You did good, Lucius," Hades said.  "Many lives were saved by your actions, both wizard and muggle alike and so I've changed my mind."

Lucius looked at Hades anxiously.  He felt a strange sensation in his back, and after a few moments realised that he had large white wings.  He stared at Hades. Snape smiled and spread his own wings.

  "You too, Severus?"

Snape nodded.

  "Go and protect you son," Hades said to Lucius.  "The war is over, but another may rise to take Voldemort's place."

  "Thank you, Hades …  This guardian angel thing … is it safe?"

Hades smiled.  "Go on before I change my mind again."

Lucius took off.

  "Who will you protect?"

  "I think you know, if he will have me."

Hades smiled.  "Go on then."

 

*    *    *

 

Ron was dismayed, but happy for Hermione when she and Draco decided to get married.  Harry placed his hand on Ron's shoulder, as they stood in the new Malfoy Manor.  Harry had to admit that it looked strangely beautiful to see Hermione and Draco kiss.  Lucius Malfoy watched from above.  Gone was his hatred of Muggles, though he was a tad surprised as he descended from the ceiling.

  "Draco."

The younger Malfoy looked up, astounded.  "Father … but …"

Hermione and the others stared as well, to see this once evil man place his arms and his wings gently around his only son. Draco didn’t ask questions, only thanked the Universe for this precious gift.

  "You have my blessing," he said, looking at his son, then to Hermione, who smiled, tears in her eyes.

 

Ron and Harry left the Malfoy Manor after a large meal in honour of those who gave their lives and those that had lost loves ones.

  "Do you suppose my father is in the Elysian Fields?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded.  "With my mother and father," he said.  "I never thought much about that afterlife, but I realise now that it must be a happy place for good people."

Harry sighed.  "Even though it's over I can't help thinking that there are still some Death Eaters out there …  Let's get back to Hogwarts … At least it's still standing."

  "You're not going alone."

Harry turned around and stared.  "But you … you died in my arms …"

  "Yes, I did."  Snape spread his newfound wings.

Harry stared.

  "You're going to need protection, Potter, until every last Death Eater is caught."

  "Oh no … You're not going to be my Guardian Angel are you?"

Snape smiled.  "Only if you want me."

Harry smiled and shook his head.  "Come on, Professor, we're already late for Ancient Runes class."

  "That's five points from Gryffindor, Potter."

  "On the other hand," Harry said with a smile.

  "Come on …"  Snape ushered the two boys along with his wings, wondering what this world held for him now.

 

 

*

 

Back to Snape/Lucius Page