Disclaimer: The Harry Potter Universe was created by J. K. Rowling.

No monetary profit is being made from this writing

 Summary: A muggle girl is admitted to Hogwarts. Lockhart is back at Hogwarts with his memory back. Snape is not happy.

 Author's Note: "The Gilderoy Lockhart Defence against the Dark Arts Pop Quiz" courtesy of Devonna and used with permission.

 Rating PG

~~~~~~~~~~

THE DARKNESS AND THE LIGHT

 

The start of another year at Hogwarts ...

Professor Severus Snape watched as the new students filed into the Great Gall. He could already see what houses most of them would be in.

This year a new girl had been admitted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, not an unusual circumstance at the start of any new year, but this girl, Persephone, was all muggle. She had an interest in all things magic and had snuck into Diagon alley where she as well known. Some had protested her admittance to the school, but Dumbledore would have none of it, hearing of her commitment and fascination, refused to leave her in the dark and admitted her to the school at once. She was old enough to be in her fourth year she and felt uncomfortable, but there were many students eager to help her on her way.

The sorting hat placed her in Ravenclaw.

Dumbledore's voice rang out. "Let the feast begin!"

Snape didn't care much for eating in public, though he had little choice as he helped himself to some corn kernels, mashed potatoes and some greens.

Next to him, sat Professor Lockhart, enjoying a drumstick tremendously. No sooner had he finished one, he started on another, then another and another ...

"Really, Lockhart," Snape said in a quiet, mock pleasant tone, "if I didn't know better I'd say you were eating for two,"

Lockhart tensed and shot Snape a dark look, swallowed, then smiled. "It really is quite delicious. You should try some ... Oh, I'm forgetting, you're *vegetarian...*"

Although he spoke softly, he spoke so that the others at the teacher's table distinctly heard.

Snape shifted uncomfortably. Professor McGonagall looked impressed, though she said nothing.

"Allergic, actually," Snape said, not convincing anyone.

"I'm sure," Lockhart whispered, with a smile, before he began on yet another drumstick.

"Soon you won't be able to fit into that robe," Snape hissed.

Lockhart swallowed, seething, but the false smile remained plastered on his face as Snape began to eat slowly.

"You'd better save room for desert," he said to Lockhart.

Gilderoy gave him a look. "Chocolate pudding. No problem." Gilderoy patted his stomach.

Snape gave a disgusted look, not because he didn’t like chocolate pudding. He hated Lockhart.

When the meal had finished, Snape was the only one who saw Lockhart grab a whole chocolate pudding before he left. He shook his head in disgust before finishing his small serving of the chocolate treat.

* * *

"We’ve got the muggle in our class, so she can catch up... " Malfoy sneered. "I mean she’s worse than a mudblood, she’s all muggle blood. I mean how bad can this get? Next we’ll be admitting toads, I suppose." He looked over at Neville.

"That’s enough, Malfoy," Professor Snape said. "A person cannot be blamed for their bloodline."

Malfoy scowled, "Yes, Professor."

Persephone was puzzled. Didn’t everyone tell her than Snape was mean and nasty to any house bar his own? She was grateful for what he said.

"You should go and study muggle studies," Malfoy said to her when Professor Snape went to get some ingredients from his office. "That way you won’t get hurt."

"Why Draco," Persephone said, "I had you figured all wrong. They told me you were a prick, but you really do care, you’re just a fluffy bunny, aren’t you?"

She wiggled his cheek. Harry and friends faces were red from trying not to laugh. Even Snape who had heard most of the conversation had to stifle a smile.

Malfoy was the only one scowling.

* * *

Today the students were excited about Valentine’s day, and traditionally exchanged cards and gifts and it was a Hogwarts tradition to write a letter of appreciation to their favourite teacher. Naturally Lockhart’s mail bundle bulged like Santa Claus’ toy sack. And he had two of them.

"Professor Snape," he said, sitting behind his desk, smiling, reading mail from his many admirers, "you get any letters?"

"As a matter of fact, yes," the Potions Master retorted.

"Aww, Dumbledore feel sorry for you?"

Snape glared at him. "For your information it’s from one of my students."

"Professor Snape," the head girl came to him. "Another letter for you."

The Potions Master hid his surprise.

"Ooh!" Lockhart exclaimed. "You have two now!"

Snape looked murderous, even Harry Potter thought Lockhart was being a bastard. He wasn’t sure who he hated more. Snape was mean and unfair, yet Lockhart was a complete and total jerk.

"Well if it makes you feel any better you can borrow some of mine." Lockhart said, jesting. "What have you got to say about that?"

Snape placed his hands on the table and glared at him and said in a voice to rival Winter on Pluto, "there are plenty of things I could say about it, Lockhart, but there are first years present."

"Now, now, Severus," Dumbledore said coming to them, "Valentines day is supposed to be a joyous celebration."

Snape respected Albus and left in silence, his black cape flowing behind him, leaving a smirking Lockhart and several wide eyed students.

* * * 

"I hear you received two letters this year," Dumbledore said, paying Severus a visit in his quarters.

"Yes, thank you, Headmaster."

"Well who are they from? I mean besides Malfoy."

Snape gave a smile. As usual at this time of year he always received a badly written letter from Draco Malfoy. "Honestly, the boy couldn’t write to save his life."

"Who’s the other one from?"

"As if you don’t know," Snape said with a half smile as he unraveled it and began to read aloud ... " ‘Name: That which embraces the Darkness and the Light ...

House: The Lore and Myth of the Land ...’ ...Mmm Cryptic..."

Snape looked over at Dumbledore and saw a curious look on the old wizard’s face. "It ... it’s not from you, is it?"

"What made you think it was from me?

"I ... well..."

Dumbledore smiled. "You know I can’t favour anyone, Severus."

"Yes, Headmaster, but it still puzzles me as to who sent this."

"Don’t ask me ... "

"You want to know too, don't you?"

Albus smiled. "Forgive an old man’s curiosity."

Snape smiled back. "Of course."

Dumbledore sighed. "Well I must be off, there’s a mountain of work in my office."

"Goodbye, Headmaster."

"If you do decipher your cryptic message ..."

"Goodbye, Headmaster."

Dumbledore chuckled as he left.

Snape read the rest of the letter to himself.

~ So dark and mysterious, I know your pain ... You hold it within, afraid to

share, in fear others will hurt you. Yes, I know this feeling, for I have

been there. Like your Potions you let old angers simmer ... I have been

there too. We must find peace in our lives, like you I value my solitude, but I

know to reach my true state of being. I must live up to my fears and so must

you, My Love ~

Snape didn’t know whether to feel touched or angry. Who was this person who presumed to know him? Yet everything she ... or he wrote was true. Snape swallowed as he carefully folded the letter and placed it in his bottom drawer. He didn’t know if he wanted to know who had written it, much less, what was he going to say to them if he found out? ...

* * *

All through his Potions lessons, he wondered who it could be from. He didn’t think it was a joke, the letter seemed too genuine for that, but it had his curiosity piqued.

* * *

Snape was surprised at how fast Persephone had come in Potions. She knew more than Harry Potter when he first started at Hogwarts. She had made friends in all of the houses, though most Slytherins gave her a hard time about having all muggle lineage, but she brushed it off.

* * *

Hagrid had brought yet another large beast to Hogwarts, though this one, despite its size, he deemed harmless. An angel squid, which he placed in the river near Hogwarts.

 

Gilderoy Lockhart walked by the river one afternoon. Snape scowled and rose from one of his favourite solitary spots near the river.

"Ahh Professor Snape," Lockhart began mock pleasantly, didn’t see you there."

"Obviously."

Gilderoy failed to notice one of the angel squid’s tentacles emerge from the water and curl around his leg before it was too late. The Professor squealed like a little girl as he was pulled into the lake. Snape did all he could to stop himself from laughing.

"Don’t just stand there! Help me!" Lockhart screamed.

"Now why would I do that?"

Lockhart’s eyes widened. The tentacles began coiling up his body. Lockhart screamed again. "Please!! Help!!" he wailed. "I’ll do anything!!"

"Anything?" Snape inquired, one eyebrow raised.

"Yes, anything!! Please, Severus..."

Snape smiled and paused.

"Severus!"

"Let me teach your class for a month."

"Not on your ..."

Snape looked at the squid’s tentacle. "Bon Appetite."

And he began to leave.

"Ahhh!!!" Lockhart screamed "Yes ... all right, just please ..." He began to cry.

Snape shook his head in disgust as he took out his wand. "Releasiat!"

The squid released Lockhart who clumsily thrashed to shore.

He took out his own wand and dried himself.

"I can’t believe you would have left me there ... I know we have our differences, but ..." Lockhart shook his head. "They’re right you know, you *are* evil."

Snape smiled. "So they say. At least I’m not a coward."

"That thing was trying to eat me! Or didn’t you notice?"

"Things are not always what they seem, Gilderoy." And with those words, Snape left.

* * *

This lesson, Snape was teaching the children about how certain types of magical creatures can be used for good or evil. He had them down by the river, taking turns in holding the tentacles of the angel squid.

Lockhart had come to find Snape and couldn’t believe what he saw.

"By Merlin’s beard! What are you doing?! That thing’s dangerous!"

Casually, Snape looked at him. "I assure you, Professor, angel squid rather like to play with humans. They’re completely vegetarian. Quite harmless, I assure you."

Lockhart coughed. "I knew that ... Just testing."

Snape gave him a look. He desperately wanted to smile, seeing Lockhart’s red clenched fist by his side.

Lockhart walked past Snape and barely whispered, "I’ll get you for this."

"I’d like to see you try," Snape whispered back.

Harry watched with interest. He didn’t think it was possible for the two teachers to hate each other more than they already did, but they proved him wrong.

* * *

As Snape made his way back to his room, he heard crying. Curious, he went to investigate and saw the muggle girl sobbing in the staff room.

"This area’s off limits to students," he said, in an effort to break her sobs.

"I .... I’m sorry Professor ... I ..."

"Are you hurt? You should go to the hospital wing."

"No ... no ... it’s not that .... "

"Are the other students still teasing you?"

"Some of them, still, but it’s not that ..."

"Then what is it?"

"Ohh ... You’ll think it’s silly ..."

Snape kept silent as she continued. He had a feeling she would whether he wanted her to or not.

"I ... want to go to the Summer Solstice Ball ... but ... ohh what’s the use ... he doesn’t even know I exist."

"So that’s what this is about."

Persephone nodded. "Sorry, Professor, I guess you think it’s really pathetic, probably seen it a hundred times..."

"Often, but I’ve also seen some of those students pluck up the courage to ask."

Persephone sighed. "If only I could ... He’s older than me..."

"Seventh year?"

"And he’s not even in my house."

"What house is he in?"

"Slytherin."

The Professor looked surprised. "Slytherin..."

"I know it seems strange, but I like him a lot ... "

Snape sighed. "Do you want me to talk to him?"

"Well ... um ...."

"Who is he?"

"Promise you won’t tell?"

Snape didn’t know whether he felt bored or amused.

"It’s Gareth Holman."

"Our new Quidditch captain, I see..." Snape sighed. "I’ll see what I can do ...

"Thank you, Professor, and I’m sorry about.."

"Don’t worry about it and get going before I take points of Ravenclaw."

 

Snape arranged a meeting for the two. Gareth didn’t seem impressed by Persephone, but she pretended to be interested in him.

"I saw you play the other day, you were fantastic!"

"Thanks."

"I don’t suppose well ... you’re going to the ball?"

"Yeah, I got a date."

"Oh well that’s great, you have a good time now."

" I will ..."

"Can’t wait to see you play again."

"Thanks." The captain left.

"Well that went well," Persephone said, sulkily.

Snape stepped out of the room. "Yes, it could have gone better. You lied to me."

Persephone hung her head. "I’m sorry, Professor ... It’s just that I’m not used to this sort of thing ..."

"So who is he really?"

Persephone smiled. "I really like him ... The way his hair shines on the moonlight..."

"So who is this boy ... or is it a girl?"

"No, no, he’s definitely a guy."

"I can’t force you to tell me, but-"

"You’ll force me to drink a truth potion?"

The Professor smiled. "I could, but I won’t."

Persephone smiled. "It’s Harry Potter."

"I am not talking to Potter! Snape hissed.

"I don’t expect you to ... I didn’t know what to say before, I’m sorry I lied to you, Professor, I didn’t know what to say."

"Forget it ... Does his hair really shine in the moonlight?" Snape asked before he could stop himself.

"‘Ooh yes .." Persephone bit her lip. "Sorry, Professor, this is getting rather embarrassing..."

"Yes let’s just forget we ever had this conversation."

"A forgetfulness potion?"

"I think we can manage without one."

* * *

Persephone arrived ten minutes late for her Double Potions lesson.

"Do you have a valid reason for being late?" Professor Snape demanded.

"I lost track of time, Professor. I’m sorry."

"No doubt. You will be joining Harry and company for detention after class."

Persephone hung her head. " Yes, Professor."

"Well sit down and hurry up."

After class, since it was double Potions, Snape decided to make it double detention. "I trust none of you will be late for your Potions lesson on the morrow?"

There was a chorus of ‘no professor.’

"Good."

But that wasn’t the only time Persephone was late and not the only time she received detention.

 

* * *

Persephone sat in total boredom in another of Lockhart's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes. She felt, and she was not alone that It was a complete waste of time. At first she had been excited, but learning what a fool Lockhart was ... It was a joke, really. He couldn't even handle Cornish Pixies, let alone the Dark Lord or even a single Death Eater. He's probably hide under the table and wail helplessly for his mummy, Persephone thought. Professor Snape would be much more suited to the job, she thought and hoped he got it one day, but for now, they all had to suffer under Lockhart's 'who's the prettiest Defence Against the Dark Arts Teacher' regime. Even calling Lockhart 'Professor' seemed a joke. The Ravenclaw girl stifled a yawn as Gilderoy handed out a pop quiz.

 

//This should be interesting,// she thought, taking a brief look. //Not.// She rolled her eyes as Lockhart moved past, then Persephone smiled. Yes, she decided, this *would* be fun and she began eagerly writing her answers on the parchment.

 

* * *

 

Lockhart's blood boiled over when he read her quiz. It was the last one. All the others seemed to do quite well, perhaps they knew what was good for them. Though Harry Potter strangely seemed to have left his paper blank ... but this one, he could not work out who it was by ... "Name: That which embraces the Darkness and the Light ... House: The Law and Myth of the Land ... what in the name of Merlin is that supposed to mean!?" Lockhart scowled.

 

* * *

 

Snape walked past Professor Binns class one afternoon, the ghost was teaching the students ‘The History of Magic’ Snape was glad he didn’t have the Professor’s title of the most boring teacher in Hogwarts, but something caught his attention. Professor Binns was teaching the class the history of the houses and was talking about Ravenclaw.

"Now ravens," he droned on, "are said to carry the lore and myth of the land..."

//The lore and myth of the land ... By Merlin! ... Ravenclaw!//

He wanted to rush in and thank Professor Binns, but his conservative nature wouldn’t allow it and he walked on by, scrutinising every Ravenclaw he came across.

And he had discovered that Harry Potter’s hair most definitely did not glint in the moonlight! He didn’t know what the girl saw in him, but it wasn’t his business.

* * *

Snape sat in his classroom. Defence Against the Dark Arts had such a different feel to Potions and he was glad to hear that Lockhart had been called away on business and he would teach the class until another teacher could be appointed. It was more work for him, teaching to classes, but he honestly didn’t mind.

//I could get used to this ...// he thought and began to teach his class.

This particular lesson they were studying magic and myth and the topic was ancient Greece.

"So, who can tell me how the seasons came about?"

Naturally Hermione’s hand shot up before anyone else’s.

Snape looked at her. "Very well, Miss Granger. Enlighten us and please keep it to under one hundred words."

Hermione looked clearly disappointed. "Persephone, Goddess of Spring and to be Queen of the Underworld was abducted by Hades, Lord of the Dead, while she picked flowers in a meadow in Henna, Sicily... " Hermione spoke rapidly in fear Snape would cut her off. "Her mother, Demeter Goddess of the Harvest became distraught. Hades and his brother Zeus, King of the Gods struck a deal - Persephone would spend six months with Hades in the Underworld, hence Autumn and Winter and the other six above ground, hence Spring and Summer. Since she spends an equal amount of time above and below she is also known as the goddess who embraces the darkness and the light." Ninety nine words. Hermione was proud of herself.

Snape blinked. "What did you say? The last line .."

"...The Goddess who embraces the darkness and the light..."

"Yes .. yes ... very good ... five points to Gryffindor."

At first Hermione thought she was hearing things. So did Malfoy, who began to stutter uncontrollably.

"If you will all please excuse me..." Snape spoke faster than Hermione.

In amazement, Harry turned watched the Professor leave. "Is he all right?"

"That was scary ..." Ron said.

* * *

//Ohh my Gods ... By the Wand of Merlin....// Snape’s mind was racing. What in the name of Hogwarts was he going to do? He knew just who had sent him the letter now. He forced himself to calm down. What would he say to her? Would he say anything to her? He just didn’t know.

//I can’t just yank her out of class ...//

Snape retreated to his room to read her letter again, forgetting all about his Defence Against The Dark Arts class and he just realised he gave points to Gryffindor.

* * *

He watched her curiously, she seemed somewhat distant, though glad to be here, at Hogwarts, a dream come true, magic was always something Snape had taken for granted, to her it was the greatest gift one could have. Was it possible that she had come late to class on purpose to get detention? He couldn’t believe that, but had she? Part of him felt flattered. No one had ever had a crush on him before, dubbed the meanest teacher in Hogwarts ... The other part of him felt ... strange.

 

* * *

He scrutinised her in one Potions lesson for which she came late again. Should he oblige her by giving her detention or let her off? He decided on the former. This time she was serving detention alone as Potter and his pals had decided to show up on time.

The lesson passed uneventfully and Snape was surprised that even Longbottom’s potion passed the grade.

The class filed out of the door, bar Persephone.

"Miss Persephone ..." Snape began, standing in front of his desk as the girl shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "I see you are making quite a habit of coming late to my classes. Is that because you deem Potions an unworthy subject?"

"No ... no ... it’s not that, Professor."

"I do not tolerate tardiness."

"I’m sorry ... This school is so wonderful, sometimes I get side tracked."

"I see ..."

The Professor had not one clue as to what to say next. Thankfully Persephone filled in the silence.

"I’m sorry if I offended you, Professor."

"It’s your grades that will be offended if you slack off."

"I know, and I promise it won’t happen again."

"Really." It was not a question.

"Yes, Professor..."

"Stand up."

Persephone did as she was asked. "Is there anything you’d like me to do?" Persephone looked down.

"Yes. Tell me one thing ... Does my hair really shine in the moonlight?"

The muggle born girl almost gasped as she gripped the desk and refused to look up. "Uhh ... ohh Gods ... uh ... yes ... yes it does..."

Persephone plucked up the courage to look up, hoping Snape wasn’t angry.

"I’m sorry, Professor .... I ..."

"Don’t be ... "

"Really?"

"Yes, really .... "

"Sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable ... I just ..."

"You wrote what you were feeling ..."

One did not need a trained eye to see how uncomfortable both Snape and Persephone were feeling,

"My hair really shines in the moonlight?"

Persephone chuckled a little nervously. "Yes."

Snape managed a smile. "I could take points off. You’re not supposed to be out and about at night."

Persephone half smiled.

"Everyone else seems to think it looks greasy," Snape said.

"I never noticed," Persephone said.

Severus walked toward her, held her chin up and kissed her. "Thank you."

The girl was left speechless.

"Now," the Professor said, "you may either leave or help me pickle lizard livers."

"If it’s all the same to you, I’ll stay. Thank you, Professor."

He gave a nod and lead the girl to his office. He thought he would feel uncomfortable with her having such a crush on him, but he found it strangely pleasant, as did Persephone.

The dark haired Ravenclaw girl smiled. "I want to show you something..."

Snape looked nervous for a moment, but relaxed when she pulled out a piece of paper. "It's my answers to Lockhart's Defence Against the Dark Arts Pop Quiz."

"Now why would I want to see that?"

"You'll see. I thought you could do with a laugh.

He took the paper from Persephone and began to read, and a smile began to tug on the corner of his mouth.

 

The Gilderoy Lockhart Defense of the Dark Arts Pop Quiz

 

Name: That which encompasses the Darkness and the Light

Date: 19 October

House: The Lore and Myth of the Land

1. What is my favorite color?: Eh? I must have been absent that day (wagging these useless classes more like)

2. What is my biggest accomplishment(s) to date?: Erm ... Pass.

3. How many times I have won the Witch Weekly's most charming smile?: Heh? I think I skipped that article and read the more interesting stuff.

4. What is my favourite fragrance? (Yes, you can come and smell me): Eww. No thanks.

5. What is my favourite ...

Shampoo: Sorry, I'm too busy admiring Professor Snape's hair.

Conditioner: See above

Hair spray: See above

Hair gel: See above

6. How many books have I written?: Too many - and you call those books?

7. Who is my favorite person?: Well duh!

8. What is my favorite charm?: (Pulls out wand) Obliviate! I hope I did that right.

9. What is my favorite book?: Let me guess. One of yours? Figures.

10. What is my favorite painting?: See above

11. Who is my biggest fan?: Ummm ... Not me!

12. How many fan clubs do I have?: None than I'm in.

13. Who started the first Gilderoy Lockhart fan club?: Do you *really* need me to answer this?

14. Who is the president of the Gilderoy Lockhart fan club?: Oh ... Um ... I know this one .... It's that overly narcissistic guy ... Ohh I so know this! He was a big doofus! What was his name again? Ohh that's right ... he performed the Obliviate charm on me and I forgot.

15. What is my favorite way to floss my teeth?: You know, you really ought to get a life.

16. How many ways do I floss my teeth?: Gross. See above

17. How many strains of hair do I have on my lovely head?: 101 027. Oh wait a minute... that's Professor Snape's (Heh, I did a counting spell)

EXTRA CREDIT:

1. What is my life long dream?: To be with biggest wanker the wizarding world has ever known. I say again, get a life. You're really scared of rejection, aren't you? I hear there are excellent therapists for that sort of thing at St. Mungos.

2. What time of day do I like best?: I guess the time of day when you're boring us to hell and gone with your false escapades.

3. What is my favorite deodorant?: Ugh. Never bothered to find out

BONUS:

1. What kind of deodorant am I wearing today?: Actually, it smells like Eau de Dungbomb, (Good one, Ron!)

Um, Lockhart ... I think I've answered the wrong quiz ... Sorry! This seems to be the "How Much of a Dung for Brains do you Think Professor Lockhart is" Quiz.

Perhaps I missed the "Defence Against the Dark Arts" Quiz? Perhaps Professor Snape would be kind enough to give me a copy?

~~~~

By the end of it, Snape was chuckling, barely able to contain his amusement, his eyes widening in some parts. "It's about tome someone put that braggart in his place .. I haven't read anything this amusing since James Potter's diary found its way into my hands..."

"Found its way into your hands, Professor?" Persephone raised an eyebrow.

Snape gave an innocent look, then he smiled. "Thank you, Persephone. It's been a long while ... too long ... since I've really laughed.

She smiled. "I thought as much. C'mon, let's pickle those lizard livers."

 

Professor Snape found himself thinking of the letter Persephone had written to him. Could he someday let go his hatreds of the past? Only time would tell, meanwhile he’d never thought that pickling lizard livers could be this enjoyable.

 

                                                                *

 

Back to Snape/Lucius Page