Disclaimer:  Twilight Universe created by Stephenie Meyer  {Movies by Summit Entertainment}  Thank you for this awesome fandom!  No monetary profit made from this.  Fanfic is a labor of Love, sweat, tears, and also, definitely in the case of vampire fanfiction, blood ;)

 

Summary:  Carlisle is abducted and thrust alone into a large room with an enormous group of savage, blood-lusting newborns and has to fend for himself.  The outcome has ramifications for both the Cullens and the Volturi and shocks both families.

 

Author’s notes: Slightly AU - set after Breaking Dawn, however Bella is still human.  The leaders are not married. I’ve also taken the creative liberty (and departed a tiny bit from canon) and made Aro one of the very few vampires able to cry.

I’ve also fleshed the Romanian Coven out a little. And yes, Caius does actually carry a fire-stick wherever he goes.  Never leaves Volterra without it … ;) {Note I have described the fire stick as in the book, not the one he has in the movie.} The Twilight Companion states that Caius was turned in his late 40s, however in this fanfic I am going on Jamie Campbell Bower’s wonderful portrayal Caius, whom appears around 19 {which was Jamie’s actual age when filming New Moon.}  The Companion also says Marcus was turned before he was 20, however again, I am going on Christopher Heyerdahl’s portrayal, of the sad Vampire who looks to be in his early 50s in the movies. - Minor characters created {and mentioned} by Seawave:  Vigeous, Marinus, Viktor, Taiki Katashi Shirou, Raglan, Sofia, Nicolae, Gregor, Gerta, the intern, the newborns, including Diego. {Not to be confused with Diego in The Short Second life of Bree Tanner}

 

Rating: PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

~  The Doctor’s Gift  ~

 

Chapter 1

 

 

            “What are you doing? Who are you?!” Carlisle struggled against his captors, accosting him as soon as he had exited his workplace.

            “We’re taking you to meet some new friends.

Held fast, Carlisle could not pull free, despite his desperate attempts. He did not recognise their scent or their voices.  However, Dr Cullen ascertained one thing - like him, they were vampires. He struggled to pull free at least one of his hands to remove the heavy, lead-lined bag they had pulled over his head. His assailant’s grip tightened around his wrist so hard, it began to crack. Carlisle winced, then relaxed it, realising their strength was much greater than his own.

            “Now, now, Doctor,” one of them chided, “they said alive.  They did not, however, stipulate in one piece.”

            “Please … tell me what is going on?  Why are you doing this?”

            “It’ll all become clear soon, Doctor.”

            “Is this to do with the Volturi?” Carlisle asked, struggling to calm his mind and body.

            “You could say that.”

            “Then take me to them,” Carlisle demanded, “and I will speak with Aro directly.  Or does he not have the courtesy?”

One of the captors laughed.  “Probably not. He doesn’t even know we’re here.”

“Caius…” Carlisle said gravely.

            “Yes, well, I’m sure he’d very much enjoy seeing this and what we have in store for you and your family.  And don’t worry about your daughter,” the first said with disdain.  “We’ve seen to it that her visions will not see the whole truth until it is too late.”

            Alice… My family… Please no!” Carlisle’s mind raced and  his stomach tightened.  “Please do not harm them.  Take me to Aro, to Caius. Let me talk to them, please!

            “We’re sorry, Doctor, but those are not our orders.”     

And they shoved the agonised vampire into a getaway car.

 

*   *   *

 

Alice laughed as Jasper madly tickled.  Rosalie’s glance warned Emmettt if he dared tickle her, she’d eat him alive and he didn’t dare.  Esme chuckled, eyes full of love and joy.  Emmettt grabbed Edward in a headlock and tickled him, instead.  The eldest Cullen struggled, then laughed with his family, a scene of playtime, fun and joy as they thought of Carlisle, due home soon from…

The scene changed, in a snap.

Alice froze, her eyes staring at the wall.  She snapped out of the trance, eyes full of terror.  They’ve taken Carlisle!” she burst.

            “Who?!”  Esme’s eyes, now full of worry, darted to her daughter.

            “I …I don’t know. They wore balaclavas…A room…there were newborns…heaps of newborns…stone walls…They’re going for him …” Alice’s throat tensed. “I … I can’t see past that.”

In a flash, Jasper ripped open a drawer, grabbed a piece of paper and charcoal, kept for just such an emergency. Alice sat, madly sketching, eyes still staring dead ahead. The Cullens’ minds now racing, the children worried for their cherished father, Esme for her beloved husband.

            “The Volturi?” Jasper asked. “They seem the most likely culprits.”

            “Perhaps,” Edward said.  “But why the balaclavas?”

“Yeah,” Rosalie said.  “They don’t usually hide the fact that they are coming.”

            “Yes, they usually make a big deal of it,” Esme agreed, nodding hopefully.

Edward’s lip curled.  “Fear is their most powerful ally.”

Alice turned her frantic sketch toward him.

            “Perhaps they wanted to shield their faces so I wouldn’t see them.”

Jasper squeezed her hand in comfort.  “I will die before I’ll let the Volturi take you, my love.”

            “They have had it in for us ever since Aro discovered Edward’s and Alice’s powers,” Rosalie said.  “And Bella …” she added dryly.

“Everyone,” Esme began, “we’re not entirely sure who’s taken Carlisle, or why.”

            The Cullens tensed as they heard another begin to traverse the stairs. In their worry, at first, they hadn’t smelled or heard the interloper.

            “Bella…” Edward breathed, before she made herself visible.  The others also visibly relaxed.

            “What’s going on?” she asked.  The looks on the Cullens’ faces worried her now. “I’m sorry if it’s not a good time. Thunderstorm’s due and I -“ Bella saw they were donned in baseball outfits.

            “We were going to play,” Esme said. “We were waiting for Carlisle, but-”

Bella shook her head in confusion.  “He’s working late?” she offered, hoping that’s all it was, however sensed otherwise.

            “Someone’s taken him,” Edward told her.

Shock overcame the human’s face.  “But who? Who would…”

            “We think it may be the Volturi,” Alice said.  “I saw him kidnapped outside the hospital when he was about to come home.”

 “Though we’re not sure,” Emmett assured, seeing the fear in Bella’s eyes.

            “But doesn’t Aro like Carlisle?” Bella asked, confused.  “He seemed to very much admire him, from what I could tell when I was there.”

            “To an extent,” Edward explained.  “I don’t think he’d put his friendship for my father above his lust for power,” he added disdainfully.  “And this seems just the thing to draw us out.”

Bella tensed.  “You think he’s after you and Alice?”

            “Looks like it.”  Alice folded her arms across her chest.  “Well, we’re not gonna give in without a fight.”

“If it’s Aro and if he’s hurt Carlisle,” Edward said, through gritted fangs, “it’ll be a cold day in Hell before I join him and his merry men.”

Bella saw fury blaze in his amber eyes.

Esme calmed her adopted children.  “We don’t know for sure if it’s the Volturi. I don’t believe Aro would do anything to harm my husband. He is very fond of him and although he’s very interested in Alice and Edward, he understands we’d never join him if he harmed or forced us. Although I’ve never met Aro in person, through my husband’s tales, I’ve become quite fond of him, despite his shortcomings. Carlisle always spoke very highly of him.”

            “And if he has harmed him?” Edward prompted.

            “Then I will deal with him.”

Bella swallowed upon seeing the raging fire in Esme’s eyes. However, it tapered quickly and Bella, with an inward sigh of relief, saw her gentle motherly eyes once more. She, too, hoped more than anything Carlisle was all right. He was like a second father to her.  She also hoped that Aro was not responsible. Despite the fact the ancient vampire terrified her, she had been enthralled by his world of fine art and architecture, his captivating dark, misty red eyes, silvery skin and gentle feather-like voice. She’d been heartened by his bright, bubbly personality, even if it did belie his sinister nature. In contrast to his brothers; zombie-like Marcus and caustic Caius, Aro seemed the nicest and most curious of the trio, despite his dark, threatening demeanour.

            “We gotta go to the hospital,” Bella said, snapping out of her thoughts.  “Perhaps someone saw or knows something? Maybe the security cameras caught something? Could you guys smell something or see a trail?”

            “Good thinking, ninety-nine,” Emmettt said with a smile.

Bella turned to Esme and touched her cold cheek.  “Somehow, I know we’ll find him and he’ll be all right.”

The Cullen matriarch threw her arms around Bella. “Thank you for your assurance. I hope so, more than anything. I don’t know what I would do without my beautiful Carlisle” She began to sob. 

Alice took her adoptive mother’s hand.  “We need to go - now. If there’s any scent left, it won’t linger and the rain will wash any tracks away.”

            Esme nodded as the Cullens whisked into Edward and Emmettt’s vehicles and sped off like there would be no tomorrow and for Carlisle there might not be.

 

The Doctor’s black Mercedes, still parked in his reserved spot. Edward checked, for suspicious markings. None.

“No scent I recognise,” Jasper said, sampling the air, “bar Carlisle’s.”

Soft, tiny droplets began to fall; a gentle flash, then a low rumble from deep within the clouds.

“Nor I,” Edward concurred.  “Which rules out Alec, Jane, Felix and Demetri, whom they usually send to do their dirty work. Most of the scent has dissipated since they took him.  Alice, can you see anything else? Anything at all?”

The small Cullen closed her eyes, then shut them tight, searching.  ”It’s hard to see… It’s strange…” After a pause, she spoke.  “They shoved him into a black four by four,” she said, delving deep. Jasper held her hand.  “I’m not sure why I didn’t see that before…”

“Maybe they’re curbing your visions somehow?” Bella suggested. “Perhaps they’ve got a new guard member who can interfere with someone’s powers?”

            The Cullens looked a little worried at that.

Edward nodded. “Sounds like someone Aro would acquire.  If we can at least find some more clues…”

            “I have tyre tracks,” Jasper informed. 

Esme emerged from the building.  “No one’s seen anything. Apparently the outer security cameras haven’t worked for three days.”

            “They knew,” Edward mused, “and obviously went to great lengths to get him.”

            “They took out the cameras,” Esme said, Edward’s conclusion sinking in, “so no one knew of his abduction.”

            “The Volturi know about the hospital and the work Carlisle does here,” Rosalie added.

“Perhaps those who took him weren’t members of their regular guard.  They know you and I know their scents.”  Alice met eyes with her oldest brother.

Edward nodded.  “It seems odd they’re being so secretive. And why now?  If they really wanted us,” Edward indicated himself and Alice, ”they’d just come with their guard and take.”

Another flash, then a rumble from the sky.

Bella shuddered.  Edward held her hand.  “For now, you’ll be safer with us.”

            “Charlie?”

            “Most likely they won’t consider him a threat. They know he knows nothing. And they seem more concerned with my family for now.”

Bella swallowed, neither being a welcoming prospect. 

 

After a short delay, one of the interns came outside to greet them.  “I hope everything’s okay with Doctor Cullen.”

            “We’re just a little concerned when he didn’t come home, that’s all,” Esme lied. “At first we thought he was working late, as he often does. He cares too much.”

The intern smiled.  “That he does, Ma’am.  Sometimes I wonder if the man ever eats or sleeps.”

The Cullens managed to smile in spite of all things.

“I called, the hospital earlier,” Esme lied again. “They said he‘d left already.”

            “Mrs Cullen …” The Intern looked thoughtful, “you asked if anything had seemed odd.  Now you mention it, there was a young intern who said he had been sent from Northwest Hospital, Seattle. For the last two days, he hasn’t shown up for his duties. Come to think of it, it was odd the way he hung around Carlisle. At first I thought it was some sort of hero-worship. He’s saved so many lives, Carlisle, but now I think of it, that intern gave me the creeps the way he hung around the Doctor. The way he glared at me when I watched him,” the intern shivered, “made my blood run cold. He spoke with a German accent.”

Edward’s attention picked up, though he didn’t let it show.

            “Can you describe what he looked like?” Esme asked.  “Yesterday Carlisle mentioned he was showing a new intern the ropes.”

            “He was short, about five foot, black hair, clean shaven.  He had very dark brown eyes and pasty skin. And I thought Carlisle was pale.”

From the description, the Cullens shared knowing glances, however, through countless years of practice; did not let their surprise show.

“Do you want me to notify the police?” the young man asked.

            “I ... ” Esme began.

            “Look, Mom, let’s not jump to conclusions,” Edward said. “For all we know, he could’ve been called out. Perhaps he’s making a house call to Marrily to see how she and her family are doing.”

The intern smiled respectfully.  Carlisle saved her life.  We were all so worried, but he saved the day - and the mother of two children.”

Esme smiled.  “That’s my Carlisle.”

“And besides, Mom,” Rosalie said,” his old Italian school friends are in town, he could’ve just gone to see them.”

Esme nodded.    “Perhaps.”

            “I hope that’s all it is,” the intern said.

Edward sensed his thoughts. The Cullens, especially Esme looked too worried if that’s all it was.

            “Our mother over-reacted, I think,” he said, reassuring.

            “Maybe he called,” Emmettt said, “with Edward’s music so loud, maybe we didn’t hear.”

“I’m sure he’s like fine, Mom,” Alice said. “We’ll get home and there’ll be a message on the machine or something.  C’mon, like let’s go home already. This is like soooo embarrassing.”  Alice tossed her head, playing the modern bratty teenager.

“Ohh…you’re probably right. I feel such a fool.  He’s probably home now, wondering where we all are and worrying about us.”

The intern smiled. “Don’t worry, I’m nearly thirty and my mom still worries.”

Esme managed a smile.  Satisfied the intern had bought their nonchalance, Edward turned to him.  “Look, I wouldn’t worry about that new intern. Like you said, he’s probably a fan of my father’s work. Probably nervous and jealous that you get to work with Carlisle every day. You know young kids these days,” he said with a smile, “they’re into just about everything,”

The intern smiled. “Man, he still creeped me out.  Northwest can so have him back.”

            “Thanks for your help,” Edward said.  “Look, we’d appreciate it if you didn’t say anything … We’ll just look like idiots, and embarrass the hell out of Dad.”

The intern smiled.  ”Sure, but let us know if there’s a problem, ‘kay?”

            “Of course,” Esme said.

Mercifully the rain had kept to minor sprinkling, the lightning and thunder keeping to silent flashes and low rumbling.

“Tracks lead off in this direction,” Jasper said immediately after the intern retreated back inside.

“Are any of the Volturi guard German?” Rosalie inquired.

“None of the major guard,” Edward said. “Except for Heidi, and I know her scent.”

“And the intern said he was a short young man,” Esme said.

“Some of the transient guard, then?” Emmettt suggested.

“There were two, one called Gunter, the other Hans, that I knew of,” Edward said, ”but as the transient guard is subject to change without notice, they may not be with the Volturi any more.  There may be other Germans now in their guard, but it still doesn’t feel right … If Aro wanted Carlisle, or us,” he indicated himself, then glanced at Alice.  “He wouldn’t have made such a fuss.”

“As you said, he’d send out Alec, Jane, Felix and Demetri, not just some nondescript guard members who-“ Alice began.

            “Are just mostly fodder to them anyway,” Edward concluded. “He considers us more important than that.”

            “We should be flattered,” Alice said dryly, folding her arms.

Edward tried not to smile.

            “Whoever it was,” Jasper said, “we can discuss it later, rain’s pickin’ up and we need to follow these tracks.”

 

 

With the speed of lightning, the Cullens flashed into their cars and drove, following the tyre marks.  The tracks lead right into a field where they came to an abrupt halt; as had the stolen 4WD.

During the journey the rain had increased, now showering.

 

 

Slowly, Esme approached the vehicle with the others.  Her hand shivered as she reached for the door handle. 

“Edward, can you sense anything?”

He shook his head. 

Esme relaxed. “That means he’s not here.”

Edward did not have the heart to tell her if Carlisle was dead, he would not be able to sense his thoughts and his body would have been burned, the rain washing away the ashes and scent.  As Esme realised this, a wave of terror overcame her.  Alice opened the door for her, but she didn’t dare look inside.

            “Be careful,” Emmettt cautioned as Edward peered into the abandoned four by four and sniffed the air. 

“It’s empty,” he said, relieved and signed inwardly with relief to smell no burning vampire body.   Esme closed her eyes and breathed sighs of relief that Carlisle may still be alive, but also terrified he might not be.

Seeing two odd lines of water glistening in the sparse moonlight, toward the middle of the large field, Edward whisked over to them and there and then, stopped dead.

            “What…what is it?” Alice came to him.

Edward pointed to the imprints in the grass. Alice’s heart sank.

            “Jet imprints,” her brother said.

The imprints had almost completely filled with water, if the Cullens had taken any longer the field would have flooded and Carlisle’s trail come to a dead end at least they had something to go on.

 “From the looks of it, they left a few hours ago,” Edward said.

Alice froze; her eyes stared into the pine forest ahead.  Jasper was at her side in a moment.  “I see a room…they’re all confused…angry…Carlisle’s been thrust inside.  They’ve been conditioned to…”

Her amber eyes snapped open. “Kill him…” she whispered in horror.

Esme stared in disbelief.  “But why would the Volturi do such a thing? If they wanted you and Edward …Then why would they need to harm Carlisle?”

Rosalie took her mother’s quivering hand, the older vampire close to ‘tears,’ her face shivering.

            “To get us,” Rosalie said, eyes blazing.

            “But they would have at least left clues!” Esme cried in desperation.

            “You’re right,” Alice said.  “If they wanted us to come out and stage a rescue, using Carlisle as bait, they would want us to find him.”

Esme let her daughter’s words sink in.

            “She’s right. I know Aro and how much he likes his little games,” Edward said, lip curling, “but this isn’t like him. He still considers Carlisle a dear friend, despite the fact they didn’t keep in contact.”

            “Could he still be angry with Carlisle for that or for the incident with the witnesses?” Esme asked.

            “No,” Edward answered. “In Italy, I sensed Aro’s delight to read my thoughts that Carlisle was not only alive and well but thriving. In Forks, I sensed he was genuinely sad to lose my father’s friendship.” He didn’t reveal just how delighted Aro had been or just how sad. “Caius, however, is another story.” Edward pursed his lips.

            Carlisle always told me Caius disliked him intently, even called him a ‘disgrace’ to the vampire legacy.”

Edward scoffed.  Carlisle also once told me that Aro was delighted to have my father stay with the Volturi and wouldn’t hear of Caius harming him and reluctantly, Caius had relented. Carlisle told me that even Marcus had been surprised by his vegetarianism and Marcus is not surprised easily. Carlisle told me that Marcus never had an ill thought toward him. Caius, however seems to have it in for us.”

“He seems to have it in for everybody,” Bella said.

Edward nodded in agreement and a slight smile.

Could Caius have been behind this then?” Esme wondered aloud.

“I hate to say this, but if Caius wanted Carlisle dead, he wouldn’t have gone to so much bother. Caius is not known for subtlety.”

Slowly, Esme nodded and swallowed.

“He’d probably have made a grand show of it … in front of us.” Rosalie said, eyes blazing.

Esme closed her eyes tightly, shutting that thought out.  “I hope you’re right. Carlisle still may have a chance.”

            “Although I wouldn’t entirely put it past the Volturi,” Edward said. “It seems there are other forces at work here.”

            “What do we do now?” Bella asked.  “We can’t let them hurt Carlisle.”

“And we’ve no clue where their airfield is,” Jasper added.  “Or where the hell they’ve taken Carlisle.  I’ve a feeling they’ve taken him out of the country.”

            Edward nodded.  “Since our trail’s run dead,” he said,” we go to the only ones who can help us.”

            “Who-”Bella began to say, then stopped dead, a cold chill taking her, as she realised before he spoke.

            “The Volturi.”

 


Chapter 2

 

 

            Edward let that sink in. 

“The Volturi…” Bella took in a breath.

“I’m taking you home,” Edward said suddenly.

            “No. I’m coming with,” Bella stated, firm.

            “It’s too dangerous.  You’re still human.”

            “They know the date’s set.”

            “Charlie might worry.”

            “He’s got his hand full babysitting Renesmee and we can tell him we’re going camping.”

            “Bella…”

Bella pulled Edward toward her. “The last time we went it Italy I almost lost you, Mister and I’m worried about Carlisle too.”

Edward sighed.  “As long as you stay close.”

“I’m not letting you out of my sight.”

 

 

*   *   *

 

            “Should we tell them we’re coming?” Rosalie asked, softly.

Alice looked over at her.  “Do they ever tell us?”

            “Point taken.”

The Cullens, grateful to get a private jet charter at a moment’s notice; also grateful Carlisle was a meticulous saver; it hadn’t been cheap.

 

*   *   *

 

The Cullens wasted no time in speeding to Volterra’s town square, Bella closed her eyes for a few moments.  After opening her eyes, she wondered if they had arrived at the right place.  Mostly deserted, the town square now looked a great deal smaller. She saw the fountain, the cobbled ground and remembered.  This was the place. The clock tower stood, casting an ominous shadow over the piazza.  Bella shivered … This looming stone tower looked even more daunting, now that she knew what dwelt within.

“It’s so quiet …” she whispered.

Edward placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.  “As you said, Aro knows the date and he’s seen through Alice’s vision, you will become like us. Even though he knows my sister’s visions are subjective, he believes you will be one of us. Keep him thinking that. Your life depends on it.”

Bella nodded.  “I know I will.” She looked at Edward longingly, but this was neither the time nor place for that.

            “I think it best I stay in the car with Bella, just in case,” Esme said. “Edward, please be careful.”

“I will.”

            “I’ll stay also,” Emmettt said.

            “You big baby,” Rosalie teased.

He pretended to bite her. “You’re my baby,” he said with a smile.

            Em ...  “ Rosalie complained, embarassed as he cuddled her tight.

            Alice, you stay also,” Edward said.

            “I’ll be fine.”

            “Aro wants you more than he wants me.”

            “I can handle myself,” Alice said firmly.

            “Let’s not make this any worse,” Jasper said.  “I’ll go.”

            “No,” Alice said.  “I will.”
            “Then I’m coming with you.” Jasper’s tone brooked no argument.

 

 

Edward cracked the door open, with some difficulty, breaking the massive metal lock. “They’ll see us on their security cameras before long.”

            “It’s not as if we’re sneaking in,” Rosalie said.

            “Just walk and act casual.  They’ll think we’ve come for a visit and be less likely to become alarmed.”

“I can calm them if they get too rowdy,” Jasper said softly.

The trio had managed to traverse half a second corridor before they were intercepted.

            “Thought you could just sneak in?” Felix asked, raising an eyebrow, flexing his knuckles.

            “If we wanted to sneak in,” Alice said casually, “we wouldn’t have come in through the front door in full view of your security cameras, now would we? More likely we’d’ve taken the precaution of taking them out previously and creating a loop and under cover of darkness.”

The two guard members pondered this for a short while. 

“So… To what do we owe this pleasure?” Felix asked, eying them. 

“Lost the game?” Demetri jibed, his head indicating their baseball outfits.

            “We’ve come to see your leaders,” Edward demanded, ignoring the taunt.

            “Got an appointment?” Demetri said, sarcastic, cocking his head.

            “Yes,” Edward said.  “Now.”

            “Aro doesn’t like unpleasant surprises,” Felix said.

Alice’s eyes narrowed. 

“We need to see him,” Edward said, flatly.  “Now. It’s about Carlisle.”

He caught a momentary flash in both Felix and Demetri’s eyes and their confusion before they blinked, once again, becoming impassive.  Edward sensed their disappointment that they would not be goaded into a fight.

            “You know how fond he is of my father and I think he’d be most upset if you didn’t even allow us to-“

            “Very well,” Felix said, curbing his anger.  “Follow us.”

 

“Edward! Alice!” Aro greeted, happily, gracefully moving toward them, seeming as though he glided on air. “What brings you here?”

Caius seemed less than pleased at the unannounced visit. It didn’t go unnoticed by Edward that Aro all but ignored Rosalie and Jasper as he took Edward’s hand. His happy expression, changing instantly to one of shock.

            Carlisle’s been taken,” Aro said for the benefit of the others.  “And you suspected me?” He looked hurt.

            “Both you and Caius,” Edward admitted, “but only for a short while.”

Aro’s features relaxed and he began to pace in thought.

            “What changed?” Caius asked, standing.

            “The fact that if either of you wanted us dead, you wouldn’t have gone to so much trouble.”

Caius gave a very, very small smile.  “You seem to know me well, Edward.”

Alice spoke up.  “In my vision, I saw three of them, two male, one female.”

“How could you tell one was female, if you couldn’t see their faces?” Caius questioned, standing.

“Men, vampire or human, don’t have chests that stick out a mile.”

The younger Volturi leader pursed his lips tightly, glaring at Alice, incensed by her defiance, however, said nothing. Aro smirked. Jane attempted to stifle a smile. Demetri and Felix didn’t.

            “We will assist in whatever way we can,” Aro said. “Brothers?”

Marcus stood and nodded.

            “Yes,” Caius agreed. “For the situation has worsened.”

Satisfied, Aro began to gather the guard.

Edward eyed Caius warily, then sensing the other’s thoughts, nodded. 

            “Why the sudden change of heart?” Alice asked.  “For all we knew at first, it could have been you or Aro who had him abducted.  Why now so eager to help? Carlisle is hardly on your ‘favourite people’ list.”

Momentarily Caius glared at her before he spoke.  “To clear our name for starters. And to eliminate those responsible. It is obvious they mean to implicate the Volturi. And,” Caius lowered his already soft-spoken voice, “for my brother.” He inclined his head toward Aro, leaving the room momentarily to make preparations.  “Aro, despite having hardly any contact with his old friend, and our most recent…disagreement with your coven, he still cares for Carlisle deeply.”

Edward heard the distaste in Cauis’ voice and sensed it in his thoughts and sensed his annoyance, being an intently private person, at having to say it aloud for the benefit of his siblings. However, Edward understood Caius felt it more important to defend his brother and the Volturi’s reputation.

“I will not deceive you by pretending to care for Carlisle.”

“Thank you,” Edward said.  “You seem to have some redeeming qualities after all.”

Caius’ eyes flashed and he glowered at the eldest Cullen.  “What you think of me, Edward Cullen, is of no consequence. I do, however, care for my brother.”   

Impressed once again, Edward listened. The younger Volturi paused before he continued, still in his soft-spoken manner.  “In the third century a young maiden was brought in for feeding.  My brother took an instant liking to her and upon sensing her pure thoughts and dreams, of being loved, he spared her. Unbeknownst to us, and herself she had been sickly, from what the world now calls cancer and she was dying.  Aro had fallen deeply in love with her, and she with him, despite knowing what he was.  Her body was weak, however and she did not survive the transformation. Aro had known Amba for just over one month. He never forgave himself and brooded over her for over four hundred years. It was unbearable!” Caius hissed, jerking his arms into the air. “Aro has known Carlisle for almost three hundred years. I shudder to even think of how long he will brood. And I would not wish my brooding brother on anyone, least of all myself and nor that pain upon him,” Caius added, softer.

Edward nodded.

            “You may trust me,” Caius said.  “For now,” he added, knowing the other’s senses would have picked that up in any case, however, Edward respected the third Volturi leader’s honesty.

 

 

Aro returned to them.  “From Alice’s description, I know where they have taken Carlisle, and I believe I know who took him.”

Edward listened intently.   

“From the description of her first vision, we believe it is the Romanians who had him abducted.  They have recruited three new members into their coven, all German. Nicolae, Gregor and Gerta.”

Edward let this sink in.  “Yes, Carlisle told us they’d been very upset with him when he refused to join their uprising against you.”

            “To his credit,” Caius said. “However, he neglected to inform us of their-“

            “And insult your prowess?” Edward raised an eyebrow. “More likely you knew before they even came to us.”

            “We did.” Jane said, seeming to appear from nowhere, spiteful eyes glistening.

            “Then you would have known of my father’s decision to stay out of it.”

            “What would he have done if they did go ahead with their plan, I wonder?” Caius prompted.  “Aro’s so fond of him, but what would his dear friend have done if, Heaven forbid, things had not gone too well for us?”

Aro shot Caius a warning glance.

            “Selling the Volturi short?” Edward asked.

            “Not at all,” Caius countered. “In any case, we would have crushed Stefan's uprising with ease - as we will once more. Now let us get on with this, shall we, if there’s to be any chance of saving your dear father.”

Edward glowered. 

Aro gave his brother an annoyed look, before he continued. “From Alice’s description and sketch of the chambers,” he explained, “they’re in Montepulciano, about an hour South East from here.”

The Cullens looked relieved that Carlisle was close, though still worried for his safety.
            “Palazzo Comunale,” Caius understood.  “Piazza Grande … This is where you …” his voice trailed off.

“Saw to Vigeous,” Aro finished.  “And later Marinus,” he added, “and the others.”

“So you’re the one who brought their legendary tyranny to an end.” Rosalie said.  Carlisle once told us about them.”

Edward sensed Aro spoke aloud for the benefit of the other family members, both Cullen and Volturi.

“Yes,” he said, vermillion eyes glistening.  “But now is not the time for indulging in story time.  We must hurry.”

 

 

            “Can you see anything more?” Edward asked his sister as they began to walk toward the front door.

Forlorn, Alice shook her head.  “I try, but all I see is fog … I can’t see if they harmed him, if he escaped, if they caught him …” Her amber eyes showed her pain.  “It’s so infuriating!”

Aro looked sympathetic; Caius unimpressed; Marcus impassive.

 

Bella sat inside the car with Esme and Emmettt, becoming more worried by the minute.  She shrieked and near jumped out of her skin as Aro suddenly appeared in the window, making a face.

The Volturi leader smiled. Bella didn’t.  Aro looked apologetic. “Sorry,” he said. “Couldn’t resist. Didn’t mean to scare you…Well Maybe just a little,” he added.

Edward grunted. Aro gave a contrite look. Rosalie quickly entered the hire vehicle before Aro could let himself in. He pretended to look hurt.

“You’re staying here,” Edward said to Bella.  “It’s too dangerous, if those newborns get a whiff…”

Bella shuddered.

“Emmett and I will stay with her,” Rosalie offered.

 “I should have left you in Forks with Charlie where it’s safe,” he said to Bella

She smiled. “Safe?”

Edward chuckled, for it was on Forks James’ caught her scent and played a deadly game of cat and mouse, where Victoria’s newborn army attatched and where the Volturi had come last year; an almost fatal meeting.

“Miss Swan will be safe with us,” Marcus assured, gesturing with open arms. “Still you are welcome to have some of your party stay as well.”

Edward nodded, sensing the elder leader meant his beloved no harm; he has sensed the intensity of their relationship; he once had a love like that, and lost her almost three-centuries ago and this pain, Marcus would not wish upon any creature.

 

“Enough,” Caius said, annoyed. “Time is of the essence. The sun will not be long behind those clouds.” His crimson eyes glanced skyward.

Aro nodded.  “Edward, Alice, I’d like you to travel with us.”

            “All right …” Edward agreed, resigned.

Aro smiled. 

Jasper stood with Alice.  His stance told Aro he was coming too.

“Master,” Renata said, gently tugging his tailored jacket, “we haven’t much time.”

            “You’re right,” he said, quickly climbing into the black stretch limousine Demetri had driven around. Caius and Felix followed.  Marcus remained behind with Corin, Santiago and some transient guard members, to protect their home should the fight come there.

Renata looked about; satisfied no danger presented itself, she climbed in after her charges and the Cullens, closing the door behind her. The remaining guard Aro had chosen to accompany him, followed in nondescript vehicles, windows blackened.  Within moments, they were away, setting the speed record for both limousine and family car.

 

 

Edward sensed Aro’s worry, not just for Carlisle, but the newborn army - a massive threat to the safety of the vampire world.  Carlisle never told us who killed Vigeous and Marinus,” he said.  He sensed Aro’s thoughts and also that his mind had been momentarily distracted.

“That’s because I never told him,” Aro said. ”I don’t like to brag,” he added with a cute little smile, despite his sadness.

”I’m sure,” Alice said.

Caius glared at her; Aro’s smile broadened.

            “Aro, since we’ve got some time, now, why don’t you tell us the story?” Edward prompted, to keep the ancient’s mind occupied with something other than his worry.  “Legend has it that Vigeous only turned one other.”

“Yes,” Aro said. “Marinus.  The one who turned me.”

Edward raised an eyebrow as he sensed who.  “It’s said he also only turned one other,” he said aloud for the benefit of the others.

Aro cocked his head and chuckled.

            “And you killed him.” Alice said.

The Volturi leader nodded and sighed wistfully. “Ohh…I miss those ancient times… Marinus very much regretted turning me in the end.”

            “I’ll bet,” Jasper said.

Caius’ death-glare snapped over to him; Aro smirked.  “I’m eternally grateful he did, however. It’s the best thing he ever did.”

Edward gave him a look, his plan working. Aro now eager to continue with the story. The older Volturi smiled pleasantly. “Vigeous now saw me as a threat.  I saw him as one.  He wanted to enslave the entire human world.  Make them see us as their Masters, use them to work for us as slaves and keep them breeding stock.” Aro’s pale, delicate features creased. “My thoughts exactly,” he said, seeing the looks of distaste upon the Cullens’ faces.

            “You do not have to tell them this, Brother,” Caius cautioned.

            “No, but it has been so long since I told the story…”

Caius rolled his eyes, while Aro indulged. “Vigeous convinced Marinus it was the way of the future. They tried to sway me into seeing things their way, that the humans were nothing more than fodder, vermin,” he told them, “but I didn’t wish to impose the vampire world onto the poor little darlings.”

Edward’s mouth quirked at Aro’s description of humans.

“The Volturi have no respect for human life,” Alice stated.

Aro looked a little hurt.  “Now, that’s not entirely true, dearest.  After all, who created all this fine art, classical music?  Our beautiful home, filled with priceless, exquisite works of art, glorious sculptures of bygone times..." Aro sighed as he reminisced over times gone by, "even the very languages we speak, ancient and modern. Many humans, past and present have enhanced our lives exponentially, in the arts, the sciences and inspired us with their own resolve through adversity.  None of this would have ever even existed had Vigeous and Marinus had their way.  The Renaissance would never have happened. Just think of this world without Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Rembrandt …” as an avid art lover, Aro had a pained look in his eye, as did Caius, though he quickly blinked it away.

Aro sighed as he continued.  “Modern human leaders; Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and those even more legendary would never have existed, or been the extraordinary people, as we know them today, as Vigeous would have enslaved the entire human race long before the likes of Moses or Jesus were even born.”

“Wouldn’t that have been good for you?” Jasper asked, sarcastic.

Caius glowered. 

Aro smiled pleasantly.  “Never had a problem with the man himself. The church, however, has killed more people in the last two-thousand years than the entire vampire world has in the last twenty-thousand. However, that said, much of the early Christian art, architecture and calligraphy is extraordinarily beautiful.  Now let us concentrate on the matter at hand, shall we? It appears the Romanians are copy-catting our methods.”

            “So how did you-” Alice began.

            “Dispatch them?” Aro smiled.

“Let me guess. This is your favourite part of the story.”

Aro gave Jasper a disarming smile.  “Well yes, I did save the world as we know it, after all.”

            “Quite the hero.”

            Cauis grunted, why his brother put up with this odd band of misfits he’d never understand.

“Well tell us, the story” Alice said, half smiling. “You’re going to anyway.”

            “See that, did you?” Demetri taunted from the driver’s seat.

Jasper glared at the back of the seat. A warning glance from Alice told her beloved to drop it, as Aro continued.

            “I created two separate armies of newborns. Placed one in the very room in which your assailants have trapped Carlisle.”

The Cullens tensed.

            “The other army, in our very own main chambers.”

            “And you had the newborns attack Vigeous and Marinus.”  Jasper mused.  It was not a question.

Aro nodded. “I pretended I’d seen reason in their ways.  Told them I’d created an army to start.  Vigeous, the stupid old fool, believed me.” Aro smiled and chuckled, a shrill sound.

Caius glanced at his older brother, half annoyed at how he was not more demure, the other half musing if he wast, he’d likely be as lifeless as Marcus.

Once more, Aro flashed a smile.  “And Marinus was too power-hungry by now to see. Marcus lead him to the second army.”

            “How old were they?” Alice asked, curious.

            “Eight thousand, give or take a few centuries.”  Aro smiled once more.  “I was only about four hundred at the time, myself.”

She gave a start.

            “You’re all practically newborns compared to us ancients,” Aro said, affectionately, clasping his hands together. Again Caius glanced at his brother and sighed inwardly.

            “And Marinus?” Alice asked, curious, despite herself.

            “About six.”

            “I take it that’s thousand.”

Aro nodded.  “Vigeous surprised me, actually.  He managed to take out quite a few of them before he was crushed,” he said pleasantly.  “Him and that massive sword of his…Actually, we dispatched a quite few of our enemies this way; Viktor, a Slavonic enemy, Taiki Katashi Shirou, amongst others.”

Edward now wondered if allowing Aro to indulge wasn’t a little too much.

“Taiki?” Alice inquired.

This time Caius answered. “He lead a small, yet powerful coven in Japan.”

Edward sensed that despite himself, Caius wanted to tell just a little part of the story and that their curiosity would not be satisfied without a fuller answer. However, Edward also sensed Caius was hardly in the mood for constant questioning. “They posed a threat to us,”

“Yes,” Aro said. “An vampire coven wielding extra sharp Samurai swords.” The Volturi leader shuddered.

            “We get the picture,” Alice said. 

“Aro decreed it law to honour those who face an army of newborns with statues erected in their honour,” Felix said, from the passenger seat.

“I’m sure they would have loved that,” Jasper said.

“And we can only guess what you did to the newborns that survived.”

Aro put on a mock-hurt look.  “Jasper, you cut me to the quick!”

 “It may surprise you,” Renata spoke up, “that my master allowed some of them to live.”

“He did?” Jasper said, surprised, then saw Edward already knew that.

“Yes,” Aro said. “Especially Felix.”

The huge Volturi fighter grinned.

“We should have guessed,” Jasper said, “that you’d spare the ones that would be useful to you.”

“Who do you think crushed Vigeous?” Felix looked over to them, grin widening, blood red eyes glistening.

He became annoyed when none of the Cullens responded to his gloat.

“He also spared yours truly,” Demetri told them, turning the wheel, speeding through the Tuscan countryside.  “I got Marinus.” His eyes glistened.

Aro smiled wistfully, then appeared a little hurt by the looks on the Cullens’ faces. 

“You would have wanted Vigeous and Marinus to have succeeded?” Whether they liked it or not, reluctantly the Cullens had to agree.

 “And the rest them-“ Jasper began.

“There were a few others I allowed to live,” Aro defended himself.  “And not all of them became members of my guard. As far as I’m aware some of them are alive to this day; Maggie of the Irish coven, for example.”

“But you and Caius no doubt, had the rest killed,” Jasper said, despite being impressed that besides the two, now guard members, any had been spared at all. 

“Only those seen as a threat to ourselves and our people were eliminated,” Caius said.  “Actually, it was before my time,” he admitted.  “Only by around two centuries or so.”

“Only about…” Alice began. “Well … I guess if you’re talking in thousands, two hundred years is hardly a peep.”

Aro smiled.  “Yes,” he said.  Carlisle is so young, by our standards.“ The Volturi leader sighed wistfully.  “It astounds me how much he’s accomplished in his short lifetime.”

Aro became grateful, Edward did not voice his thoughts; as young as three hundred and seventy four, Carlisle had proven to be more mature, than the Volturi leader, but then Edward mused, without his childlike manner Aro would not be Aro.

            “Let us hope his dear life is not cut short,” the older vampire said.

One did not need Edward’s telepathic abilities to see Aro’s deep concern. 

 

Desperately, Alice tried to sense something, then she gasped, almost choking. Demetri slowed before Aro ordered him to do so. Edward placed his hand upon his sister’s

            “What did you see?” Aro asked, slowly, not sure he wanted the answer.

            “Newborns … the newborns … coming through the mist … a field … surrounded by tall trees. They’re coming through an opening.”

            “They’ve freed themselves from the Palazzo,” Caius said, tensing.  “We must hurry before they expose our world.”

Aro nodded. Demetri didn’t have to be told twice as he accelerated.

            “I know of this field Alice saw,” Caius said.  “I have seen it. The Volturi once put an end to a past uprising there. There is ample tree cover to conceal ourselves before our guard take the newborns on.”

            Carlisle?” Aro was almost afraid to ask.

Edward shook his head.  Aro became even paler.

            “You saw them-” he began, looking at Alice.

“I didn’t see them harm him, but I didn’t see him in my vision either.”

Aro relaxed a little, clinging onto that glimmer of hope. 

The eldest Cullen’s entire body began to shake. Gently Aro placed his hand upon Edward’s. He flinched, instantly withdrawing it. Edward sensed Aro’s shock at the impression of his sheer, deep, murderous, rage.

            Alice didn’t see them kill him,” he said softly, reassuringly, but in his heart of hearts, Aro knew Edward feared the worst.

Edward’s eyes blazed. “She didn’t need to.”  His face shook, his throat became taut as he spat the words, then glared at Caius.  “I suppose this makes you happy. You never cared for my father.”

The platinum haired ancient glared at him, vermillion eyes flashing. Aro’s cautionary glance told Edward, although he could reign in his brother’s anger, Edward could only go so far.

“As I already informed you,” Caius said, lips barely parting as he spoke, clearly despising repeating himself, “I would not pretend to care for your adopted father, but for my brother’s sake, I would do what I could.  It appears we would have been too late in any case. It is likely Carlisle was killed before you arrived in Volterra. My only regret is my brother’s sadness.”

Aro’s face, a mixture of grief for Carlisle, also deeply touched by his brother’s concern. Edward sensed his innermost thoughts. Aro did not have to touch Edward’s hand to sense his despair and gut-wrenching pain. He saw in the other’s amber eyes what he felt himself.

 

 

After the leaders and the guard filed out of their vehicles, parked on a road the other side of the dense forest, Renata kept a close eye on Aro, concerned not just for his welfare, but for his state of mind as well, as the Volturi Leader struggled to maintain his composure.  Those who knew him well, understood Aro would wait until he was alone to grieve for the only one who had ever called him friend.


 

Chapter 3

 

 

The Volturi waited just inside the tree-line for the newborns to arrive.  Caius sent half the guard, including Demetri, to hunt for the Romanians and their new allies, positive they would now be in the area.

            “We have the element of surprise and it is fortunate we are upwind from where they will emerge,” he said.  “Alec, ready yourself.”

            The head of the guard’s assault nodded, then closed his eyes, beginning to amass his power.

            “Renata,” Aro said, “once Alec’s power is in effect, begin with yours.”

She gave a single nod.  “Acknowledged, Master.”

Aro noted he did not have to tell her to remain close to the leaders, or to be ready if the Romanians planned a surprise of their own. However, despite the fact that Aro was her priority, Caius had always been annoyed that he never had a bodyguard all his own.

 

 

The Cullens and the Volturi stood behind the tree-line, gazing out onto the field.

Edward’s entire body quaked in rage. “They will pay.,,” His face shook, fangs bared, eyes ablaze.

            “No.”

The calm, but firm voice shook Edward out of his hate to look at his mother.

            “What?! ...They murdered Carlisle …”

Grief stricken, Esme shook her head.  “No…They didn’t know.  They knew no better.”

            “They killed our father!  Your husband!” Edward was beyond sure now.       Esme sobbed.  “I wonder … is there any hope at all?”

             “I wish I could say yes …” Edward said. “I wish I could believe there was…”

“But they didn’t understand. He could have been just anyone. They were practically programmed to… Do you think there’s any hope?  You said Alice did not see them kill him…”

 Took his mother’s hand.  “I wish more than anything I could believe that he survived.  I’ll not rest until all those newborns-“

            “No,” his mother stated.  “You will not.”

 

 

The Volturi stood near the Cullens, listening to the ordeal in silence.

 

 

            “I can’t stand here and do nothing to avenge his death!” Edward seethed, throat pulsing.

            “You can and you will.”

            “Esme, I’m sorry. I cannot just …”

            “He’s right,” Jasper agreed.  “We can’t just do nothing…and pretend like they didn’t know so it’s all right.”

            “No, it is not all right,” Esme forced through tearless sobs. “It most definitely is not all right …But lay blame upon those who set them against him. You will not harm the newborns.”

Edward clenched his teeth, fangs grinding together.  However, they respected their mother’s wisdom and compassion and struggled with their rage.

            Jasper struggled to hold himself together. Alice took his hand for comfort.   “But we must avenge him,” Edward growled, amber eyes blazing.

”Knowing my beloved, he would have only fought to defend himself if he had to…” Esme said, throat taut.

            If they even gave him the chance,” Edward growled.  “Damnit! He wouldn’t’ve stood a chance!!!  Even with us all fighting and with help, we barely managed to fend off twenty-one newborns! What chance had Carlisle against ninety-seven!?”

“I know Carlisle,” Esme said. “He would have tried to reason with them … Talk to them …”

“And they killed him for it.”

 

 

The Volturi watched the Cullens in silence. Aro’s crimson eyes filled with sadness as he struggled to contain his tears; one of the very few of his people actually able to shed them. A strange gift.  One he only ever indulged in, in private. Renata, Marcus, Caius and Carlisle, (when the Volturi were unable to undo the vampirism of the immortal children,) the only ones who had ever seen him cry. The only ones he entrusted with that secret.

 

Edward’s blaring, eyes lay transfixed in the direction from where Alice’s vision saw the newborns emerge.

            “I know how you feel, Esme, but they have to pay. They’re the ones who did it.”

            “No, Edward. Let the Volturi do their job.”

 “Why, thank you,” Jane said, her crimson eyes glistening.

Edward glared at her; sweetly, she smiled back.  A harsh glance from Aro instantly wiped the smirk from her face.  When Aro’s gaze turned back to the opening in the trees, despite the affection she felt for her master, Jane’s blood red eyes flashed in rage.

 

 

Edward’s blazing gaze softened as he turned back to his mother. “Those newborns didn’t murder someone the Volturi loved.” He gave Aro an apologetic look, before the rage inside once again overtook him and he turned back to the field. “They must answer for what they’ve done.”

“Edward, please.”

            “No, I can’t just stand and do nothing. They killed Carlisle and they are going to pay.”

          NO!” Esme thundered, drawing everyone’s attention, including the Volturi.  “You will not harm them. They are just as much innocents as our Carlisle. They had no idea what they were doing. If we must assist the Volturi and fight to defend ourselves and our world, we will,” Her voice faltered when she mentioned her beloved’s name.  “But you will NOT in any way, disgrace Carlisle’s memory.” Esme’s words were final. Her amber eyes flashed with such conviction, brooking absolutely no argument.

And with that, the Cullens’ rage began to ebb, turning into yet more grief.  As did Aro’s.

 

The Volturi watched. Even Caius, silently impressed with Esme’s force.  Having no special ability of her own and yet to command such deep respect, when the members of her family could very easily overpower her.  This was odd to him, but he admired it nonetheless.

 

Aro approached Esme and held out his hand. She respected him for not simply taking it. As a tactile telepath, he could sense all. Esme chose to place her hand into his. Gently Aro curled his fingers around her palm. His eyes showed his admiration for her and Carlisle. Gently he held her, sensing her sadness and deep love for her beloved and her family, her human life, the loss of her human child, two days after his birth and the fierce devotion to her adopted family … everything.

            “I can see why he loved you so,” he said, sadly.  “After we take care of the newborns, we will help you in any way we can.”

            “Thank you…” Esme barely managed to speak.

Edward glanced at Aro, the deep sorrow in his eyes apparent.  He knew the Volturi leader now knew his mother’s every thought, especially the ones about her beloved. He also sensed Aro’s deep respect for her, her strength and determination to care for her family and to uphold Carlisle’s vision and carry on his legacy.

“I’m so very sorry,” Aro said, gently kissing her hand, Edward sensing his deep sincerity as the Volturi leader moved back to stand beside Renata.

 

 

Edward placed his arms around his sobbing mother as the newborns began to emerge. He struggled to keep his rage in order, desperately attempting, like Esme, to regard them as innocents.

 

 

            “Do not make a move until each one has shown themselves,” Caius cautioned the concealed guard.

The more experienced guard seemed insulted to have to be told that, but such was Caius’ fearsome reputation, not one said a single word.

 

 

Aro’s gaze turned now to Esme, buried deep within Edward’s arms, pitying her greatly for her loss and feeling somewhat responsible; the Romanians had, after all, taken Carlisle from his family as vengeance for him refusing to join them in their planned assault against the Volturi.  Even Caius, the most ruthless, merciless of the Volturi, had believed the whole ordeal had been a bit too much, although he said nothing to that effect. Inwardly, he admired the Cullens despite his animosity toward their odd band.

 

 

            “They come.” Renata’s whisper barely touched the wind.

Caius glanced toward Alec, now ready as the newborns began to emerge, as Alice’s vision predicted, through the opening in the swirling misty fog in the distance.  Some of the less experienced guard fought to control their bloodlust to follow Caius’ order.  Renata stayed by the leaders, closest to Aro.

 

 

More and more began to emerge through the trees.  It was a thing to say ninety-seven, but quite another to see that many newborn vampires emerge before ones eyes.

Renata eyed them with curiosity.  “They seem different…” she whispered.

Aro nodded, intrigued.  “Yes, they do not look like a blood lusting newborn army.”

            “Or march like one,” Caius added, softly. “Looks, however, can be deceiving.  Alec?”

            “Ready, now, Master Caius.”

 

 

Esme struggled to curtail her sobs, so as not to give away their position. Caius stood ready, about to give Alec the order.  For a few moments all was silent, as the last of the group emerged. 

 

            “Is that everyone?” A voice called.

            “I think so, yes,” another voice answered.

 

 

Caius, a moment away from giving the order, glanced into the distance as the last of one emerged fully.   “By the fangs of Vigeous!!”

His exclamation momentarily drew Esme out of her sobs, though her head remained buried in Edward’s chest. By now, every member of the Volturi, including Aro, stared into the distance and stood motionless. Esme thought perhaps seeing the newborn army in all its entirety had finally hit home.  However, she sensed something more. It took a great deal to surprise, let alone, shock Caius Volturi. She opened her eyes, and looked toward the trees. Emerging through the mists, carrying a newborn woman in his arms, walked Carlisle Cullen.


 

Chapter 4

 

            “Is it really true, Doctor Carlisle?” another small newborn woman asked, walking beside him.  “We can still lead normal lives?  Like go to movies and stuff?”

Carlisle chuckled gently.  “Yes, Astra. Movies are shown in the dark, aren’t they?”

            “And is it really true we don’t have to eat humans? Like we can be ‘vegetarian’,” she giggled, “like you and your family?”

            “Yes,” Carlisle said with a smile.  “You’ll find you’ve very strong cravings for human blood, but with time, much effort and discipline, you can learn to control them.”

            “Have you ever drank or tasted human blood?” another asked.

            “Drank no, tasted yes, when I first turned my son, Edward and my wife.”

            “Esme,” said the petite woman in his arms.

Carlisle nodded. 

“Oh…she must be so worried…”

Carlisle’s eyes showed his sadness.

 

 

The Cullens and the Volturi watched, dumbfounded, amazed, in awe at what transpired right before their eyes.  Alec had been too stunned to use his power; Caius too shocked to even notice.  Aro’s vermillion eyes showed his joy. Diligently, Renata stood just far enough in front of him, so no one would see the blood red tear rolling down his cheek.

 

 

            “I am so sorry this happened to you all…” Carlisle said, his gentle eyes showing his pain and sorrow.  “It should never have.  I feel somewhat responsible.”

            “Doctor Cullen,” one of the male newborns assured, “it wasn’t your fault. We’re the ones who should apologise. They told us you’d come to kill us…that you and your family were evil…that you would try to befriend us…and then you would harm us…but when they threw you in…”

            “At first we thought you were one of us,” Shera said, ”before we caught your scent…There was just something about you…I could just feel it…”

            “The way you tried to calm us down. You told us you didn’t want to fight… and you spoke to us of your family. I’m not the only one who could tell just how much you loved them and that the others had lied to us.”

“You were also so sad that our human lives had been taken from us,” another newborn said. “Please don’t blame yourself.  It is you who taught us how we could live new lives and learn things to help people like you did. Just before we came to this meadow, you took us on our first hunt, to teach us how and so we would develop a taste for animal blood, rather than human.”

“The hunt was so exciting!” another newborn admitted.  “So much cooler than going to buy groceries.”

Carlisle chuckled then looked sad once more.  “Still, it is so very unjust.  You were taken from your lives, your families.”

            “What about your family?” one asked, “didn’t you turn them?”

            “Yes, apart from Alice and Jasper, who found us, but the others, each and every one of them was dying. It had been the only way to save them.”

The newborn in his arms began to cry. Out of all of them, the transformation had been most shocking and painful for her. Physically she was strong enough to crush a bus, emotionally, she could hardly fathom what she had become, let alone stand. Gently, Carlisle held her close.

            “Let me take her,” one of the men said, a huge man, bigger in bulk than Felix. 

Gently, he took her and held her to his chest. “It’s all right. I will look after you,” he said softly.

She smiled.  “I…I’ve always been afraid of big men… they’ve always hurt me…One violated me… and…” She began to cry.

Softly he stroked her and held her close.  “I will never hurt you, or allow you to come to harm,” he promised.  “What’s your name?”

            Magdalena.”

            “Pleased to meet you, officially, my dear. I am Deiter.”

            “Doctor Cullen,” one of the newborns said.  “I’ve just noticed it’s daytime… and we-“

            “Haven’t turned to dust?” Carlisle said with a smile.

She nodded.  “Oh, I see. It’s cloudy. So is it only in direct sunlight that we-“

            “No, in actual fact, vampires glow or sparkle in the sunlight.”

            “Really? Cool.”

Carlisle chucked.

            “Garlic?”

The Doctor shook his head.

            “Can we be killed with wooden stakes?

“Can silver bullets hurt us?”

            “Does the Devil own our souls now?”

            “Are there vampire slayers like Buffy and Blade?”

           

Some of the Volturi rolled their eyes and the Cullens smiled at the newborn’s ultra-basic questions, though, an endearing and patient father, Carlisle answered.  “No, to all of the above and crucifixes also have no effect.”

Another newborn put her hand down.

            “I take it we don’t have to sleep in coffins on our home soil,” Diego said.

            “Not unless that turns you on,” Carlisle said with a smile.

The chuckled. He seemed protective of the others. “I’m guessing we don’t turn into bats either.”

            “No bats and we can’t fly.”
            “Damn!” another of the newborns hissed.

“Sorry,” Carlisle smiled apologetically.

The newborns smiled also.

“Can we see our reflections?”

“Yes.”

            “Do we have to be invited in to human homes?”

            “No.”

            No? But then how do humans protect themselves? Sorry, but I’m still feeling a little human myself.”

            “Understandable,” Carlisle assured. “For some the change is easy, for others it takes many months, even years, to settle into their new lives.  Many vampires, like myself, drink only the blood of animals. Some feed only on hard-core criminals, others are less discriminating upon whom they feed.  I’ve recently learned of a vampire monk who exists on pranic universal energy and I plan to travel to Tibet to meet him. As for vampire numbers, there are relatively few of us, vegetarian or otherwise, compared to that of the human population. We number around one hundred and twenty-thousand worldwide.”

            “I understand,” Diego said, “in nature, the prey always outnumber the predators.”

Carlisle nodded. 

            “And so how is it if vampires are so secretive that humans even know of them…us, at all” Deiter corrected himself,  “even in fantasy and mythology?”

“Vampire fantasies were actually made up by the Volturi.  There was a time when humans feared our kind so, whether they had seen one or not, that discovery became more and more of a threat.  Also many innocent humans were killed who happened to look too pale, live too long or looked inhuman due to severe illness. So much so, that the Volturi had to intervene, inventing stories that made us seem so far-fetched, fantastical and unbelievable, that vampires and the suspicions of us, for the most part, passed into folklore, history and fantasy. They were deeply concerned with humans’ growing fear of our kind and felt if they fantasized vampires with ridiculous notions, such as turning into bats, obsessions with counting ‘vun, two, three...” Carlisle joked, counting out some of the newborns, who giggled.

 

            Aro did as well, placing his hand over his mouth, as he had not wanted to reveal himself at this juncture. Caius rolled his eyes, though watched the doctor with interest; it had obviously been no easy feet to convince, calm and train an army of newborns, who would under normal circumstances, be tearing up and terrorizing the countryside by now.

 

“The Volturi believed,” Carlisle continued, “that with the people’s fears already heightened, having certain ‘weapons’ to protect themselves against our kind-”

“Like garlic.”

Carlisle nodded.  “Actually I was surprised when Aro once waved some garlic in my face and it did nothing. He joked that it had absolutely no effect on Mediterranean vampires.”

The newborns and also concealed Cullens and Volturi (most of them) smiled.

I remember that, Aro thought, wistfully.

Caius only hoped when Aro chose to reveal himself to his beloved friend, the Volturi’s reputation would not be shot to hell.

 

“The Volturi believe fallacies like these,” Carlisle continued, “would alleviate the humans’ fear and if they looked for the false, classic vampiric traits, this would preserve real vampires and keep us safe, so the Volturi, and those they chose as messengers gave false impressions of us as they travelled from village to village, for the most part, humans fear of us fear disappeared into history.”

            “Dracula?” A newborn enquired. “He’s not real is he?”

            “No. He was based on Vladimir of the Romanian coven, one of the vampires responsible for your turning. He just happens to share the same first name as Vlad the Impaler.”

            “Bram Stoker? Was he real?”

“Yes.  He was given the vampire idea by the Volturi, masquerading as travelling storytellers. Bram was so intrigued by the idea, they sold it to him, for a pretty penny, I’ll add and the author did the rest, this keeping up the falsity.”

            “But if the Volturi live in Italy and are that powerful, then why Transylvania? And if Aro is as central as you say, why base Dracula on Vlad?”

            “Well, if vampires were ever really to be discovered, where’s the first place humans will think to look?”

            “Ah, I see,” Dieter said.  “Aro’s very clever.”

Carlisle smiled.  “I’m sure he’d like to hear you say that.”

 

 

And he did, smiling from the trees. And made a mental note to himself, also intrigued about this Tibetan vampiric monk, could it be? Aro shook his head, it couldn’t be, after all those years, surely?  If it was, Aro would never doubt the wonders of life again.

 

 

“Doctor,” Diego began, “I know how you feel about human life…and not taking lives… But there are so many of them out there that are monsters - that kill, rape, sexually assault and murder little children and abuse their power. Con artists who steal entire life savings from the elderly. My grandmother cried herself to death when a filthy bastard ripped her off.  She thought she was making an investment for her family’s future. He took everything she had saved her entire life for. He beat my grandfather when he demanded our money back - who never recovered from the injury. There was nothing we could do to prove it to the authorities. My sister, when she was four, was forever scarred by a paedophile.” Diego’s eyes blazed.  “And you said some of our kind rid humanity of that putrid scum.”

            “I understand how you feel, Diego.  At first, Edward felt as you fo.  I would never harm a human, no matter how unscrupulous. I believe there’s a reason for everything and that people will grow and learn from their mistakes. However, unlike my human father, I am by no means a preacher. Do what you feel you must.”

Diego took his hand.  “Thank you, Doctor, for your understanding.”

 

 

The Volturi and Cullens watched, heartened Carlisle was all right to say the least. Confused, the guard looked to their Leaders.

“We will observe what transpires,” Aro said, very soft, observing.  Carlisle is truly incredible. Perhaps none of them need to die.”

Caius nodded.  Perhaps.

Felix grunted and looked disappointed.  Aro shot him a disapproving look as he turned his gaze back to Carlisle and his new charges.

Esme and her family watched, hearts full of joy to see Carlisle’s accomplishment and let him finish.

 

 

In the middle of the field, he sat down with them.

            “All of you, this is very important.  Do you remember what I told you?”

            “That we can’t reveal ourselves to humans under any circumstances.”

            “Unless we plan to eat or turn them,” Diego said, “and then we must do so inconspicuously to keep our world a secret.”

Carlisle nodded.  “Yes.  That is of the utmost importance.”

            “We can see why …” Mareka said.  “It’d start a worldwide panic … and humans would seek to harm and destroy us …I understand why, but I also understand that we too must live in it and do so in peace.”

            “Yes,” Carlisle said.  “Well said.”

Mareka beamed.

“And under no circumstances,” Carlisle began, prompting them.

            “…Do we turn animals, babies or children,” one of the newborns finished.

The Doctor nodded.

            “Who would do such a thing?” one of them asked, horrified.

            “There have been a few,” Carlisle said.  “Some to save dying babies and children or out of a need to have a child, but in the end it was much, much more cruel to the children, to be immortalised and unable to learn, to grow, and to never understand what they were, or control the bloodlust. However, those who did so have since seen to.”

            “By the ancients you told us of,” Mareka said. “The Volturi … did they kill those children?”

            “Yes…” Carlisle admitted, sadly.  “They had no choice, the vampirism process is irreversible and the immortal children as they were called, looked innocent enough, but their bloodlust made them savages. One tantrum could destroy an entire village. I lived with the Volturi during the time that law was passed, and believe me, none of them revelled in it, not even Caius.”

            “What are they like, the Volturi?” a curious newborn asked. “They sound almost surreal.”

            Carlisle chucked softly.  “They’re very regal,” he said.  “They live in Volterra, not too far from here.”

“It seems romantic…vampires living in a city in the heart of the hills of Tuscany, night-time patrons of the arts, as you told us …They have a dark side, but I guess we all do now.”

 

 

Aro smiled warmly as he watched from the trees, impressed with Carlisle’s teaching and the newborns’ insights.

 

 

“Aro, their leader,” Carlisle continued, “was a friend of mine, although we very rarely see each other. He helped me a great deal in my youth, when I was still dealing with what I had become. I was turned by a savage from the London sewers. At first I was horrified with the monster I thought I had become. It was a while before I realised I didn’t have to starve myself, that I could survive on animal blood alone, although I wish I didn’t have to kill at all.”

            “But you always thank them for their sacrifices,” a young newborn woman said.

“Yes. Some vampires also do that with their human victims, even Aro does sometimes.” Carlisle then looked intrigued.  “How did you know? I didn’t…You’re telepathic, like my son, Edward.”

            “Empathetic actually,” Shera said.  “I can’t sense thoughts, but I’ve always been able to sense deep feelings and I sensed your sorrow for the animals.”

 

 

Behind the trees, Aro’s interest perked.

 

 

“Tell us more about the ancients; they sound very beautiful,” Mareka said.

Carlisle chuckled.  “Aro would be quite heartened at that,” he said.

From his vantage point, the Volturi leader indeed was, beaming, his eyes sparkling as Carlisle continued, “as I said, they admire art, science, and extraordinary humans, but have little respect for ordinary human life.”

            “Can’t blame them there,” Pieter chided.  “Sorry, Doctor.”

Carlisle smiled and chuckled softly.  Behind the trees, Aro did also.

 

 

            Carlisle,” Astra said, “you’re married and you mentioned your children all have beloveds, even Edward, who fell in love with a human…” she said in amazement.  “So does that mean me and Lorin can still be together?”

Comfortingly, her beloved held her hand.

            “Of course,” Carlisle smiled.  “Many of us are betrothed.  Most of our kind are nomads, couples who travel together.  Some live in houses, but usually not more than two or three.  My family is a little different.”

            “Like the Volturi.  They’re also a big family and they live together.”

Carlisle chuckled.  “We’re very different from each other,” he said, “but yes, the Volturi also value family.”

Behind the trees, Aro smiled warmly. Caius looked annoyed by the mush he was hearing, but humoured his older brother.  Both their eyes widened at one of the newborn’s next and rather blatant question.

            “Can we still have sex?”

Muffled giggles bubbled from the other newborns. In the background, the Cullens, even members of the highly trained Volturi guard, especially Jane, Alec, Felix, struggled to keep straight faces. Renata struggled not to smile. Aro didn’t bother to hide his. Caius glanced at them, then shook his head, turning his attention back to Carlisle and the newborns.

 

 

 “Absolutely,” Carlisle said, professionalism betrayed by a small smile.  “We were all human once, so we still have all the equipment, so to speak.”

Astra held her love and they began to giggle.

            “Young love…” Carlisle said through smiling eyes.

 

 

Behind the trees, Aro sighed wistfully. The Cullens looked at him, a little sympathetic.

 

 

Carlisle stood, ensuring everybody was accounted for.

            “Are we going to go to Volterra now?” Mareka asked, nervous.

            “Yes,” Carlisle answered.  “It is likely the Volturi have heard word of your creation and I’ll have a word to Aro that all’s well.. They well may be on their way here now.”

            “Will they harm us?”

            “NO,” Carlisle said, though Edward sensed his father was not entirely certain, the last thing he wanted to do was frighten his charges.  “I’ve gone to great lengths to ensure you understand the law is absolute and to-”

            “Adjust into our new lives,” Shera said.

Tentatively, they took the first few steps toward the trees/.

 

 

Aro took that as an invitation and gestured. He and the guard began to emerge from the trees, with discretion, looking to their leader for directions, not quite sure what would transpire; they had prepared to fight and to kill a rabble of savages, not for a group of excited, though understandably nervous newborns.

            “Do not harm them,” Aro ordered softly walking with his guard; Renata very close by. He smiled, warmly.  “You worry too much, my love.”

            “That is my job,” she said with a smile.


 

Chapter 5

 

 

            “Let us save you the trip,” Aro said, taking a few steps closer and addressing Carlisle and the newborns, Renata even closer now.

All stopped dead in their tracks and huddled around Carlisle. Some clung to him. Magdalena clung to Deiter. Carlisle looked wary.

Aro eased his friend’s tension by spreading his arms, palms open.  The Volturi leader smiled warmly.  “Friend, it is all right.  We have heard what has transpired here. Please, do not be alarmed,” he assured, turning to the newborns. “I am pleased to meet you all. It seems Carlisle has already introduced us.”

“Aro?” one of them inquired, timid.

“Yes,” the pale skinned vampire said with a smile.  “These newborns will integrate well, thanks to your kind tutelage. Thank you, Doctor Cullen. I would be very much saddened to have had to resort to violence.”

The Doctor relaxed, relieved.  “Thank you, my friend.”

Aro smiled warmly, grateful to once again be called friend by Carlisle.

 

 

            Carlisle!” Esme bolted toward him, a blur of motion, throwing her arms around him with such force, knocking him off his feet. 

“Esme!” one of the newborns exclaimed. She then peered into the distance, the Cullens and Volturi guard approaching, asked, eyes wide, “are those your all your children?”

Carlisle’s face brightened to see his family as he stood with his beloved, kissing her cheek.  “Not all,” he said, smiling at her. “The ones dressed in red are-“

“My children,” Aro said with a smile. “The Volturi guard,” he gestured to the red cloaked figures, the guard, not sure whether to shake their heads or smile.

If he were human, tears would have formed in Carlisle’s eyes as his family embraced him, joyfully.

Alice marched straight up to her father, stared into his eyes, her own amber ones bleary. “Don’t you EVER give me a vision like that again!” she mock-scolded, then hugged him very tight. 

Carlisle embraced her, kissing the top of her head.  “Believe me, Daughter, I don’t intend to.”

“Good.  Alice’ mouth quirked into a smile.  “If you do you’re in big trouble, Mister!”

“Yes, Aro said. “The Volturi may even intervene.”

Carlisle gave a mock terrified look. Caius stifled a snort. His older brother could indeed be trying, however the thought of losing Aro, Caius mused was just as terrifying and saddening to him as the Cullens losing their father, although he’d never admit that in a million years. He kept his distance, though ensured the guard were close enough to him should danger arise; such was his nature, as he regarded the Cullen family reunion with interest. They were indeed the oddest band of vampires he had even encountered in his two thousand, nine-hundred and ninety-nine years, but then he mused if every vampire were the same, it would make for quite a dull world. Caius observed with intrigue, how Carlisle led his clan. If one of the guard had spoken to him like that he would have had Jane teach them a long lesson in manners. Carlisle did not have to. Sadly Caius mused, who would even care for him like that? The guard were ordered to protect him; would anyone ever care for him so? No; he understood. He had never let anyone in; though he knew he would not have survived the ordeal, with the newborns, knowing he would have used brute force against them and perhaps overcome some. Carlisle had conquered them all; without weapons; without violence. Caius was deeply grateful the ancient glacier tight around his heart made his face impassive, deeply hiding and disguising his grief and vulnerability. As much as he secretly longed for love. Equally terrified was he that for that, that glacier would have to melt. He only hoped that when it did he would not lose all he had built. He gave a start to feel hand gently clasping his.

“You’re very beautiful,” Shera said.

Caius became annoyed that anyone got that close without the guard stopping her. He mused with their years of training, they knew friend from foe. She did not let on just how deeply she sensed his sadness, his craving to be held. Caius barely managed to say: “thank you.”  Which in itself astounded Aro and the guard, that he didn’t just dismiss her with a wave of his hand like a haughty king waving off an awed servant.

 

The Doctor noticed the newborns appeared much calmer now in the presence of the Volturi. Then he realised, smiled and nodded knowingly at Jasper. Emmettt hugged his father so hard, Aro wondered how he didn’t break anything.

Edward, the last to greet his father, eyes full of joy, but also guilt.

            “What’s the matter?” Carlisle asked, concerned.

            “I …we were all so sure they’d killed you and I despised them for it.” Edward shook.  “Even though we discovered it was Stefan's Coven's doing, I still wanted to kill them,” he added, voice full of shame.

The newborns noted Edward did not try to hide his shame and gratefully he also sensed they respected him for it.  

Gently, Esme took her son’s hand.  “Yes,” she said, “but in the end you did not; you chose to respect your father.”

            “But I still despised them … and wanted to kill them … and would have thought nothing if the Volturi had decimated every last one … I thought nothing of their innocence … their human lives taken from them, as my father did … as you did, Esme. You shamed me.”

Shera came to Edward and placed her arms around him.  She was not the only newborn impressed with the eldest Cullen’s verbal admissions of guilt, when he could have said nothing.  “It is all right.”

            “No,” Edward protested.  “It’s not. I owe you all an apology.”

Shera would not let go and due to her newborn strength, try as he might, Edward could not dislodge her. The others, the Cullens and the Volturi (some of them) began to smile. Aro chuckled.

            “I know how you feel,” Shera said.  “It’s all right. You’ve learned your lesson.  Everyone here has and no one got hurt any more than we have already been by the Romanians.”

Aro regarded Shera with sadness and respect at her resolve.

“We will adjust to our new lives,” Shera continued,” as your father has urged and inspired us to do so; as that is all we have now and we must look toward our futures.”

Edward nodded and held her hand.  It was only when she felt he understood that she let go.  Gently, Carlisle embraced his son. Not a soul needed special powers to see the bond.

 

 

Cautious, Aro walked a little closer to the newborns, Renata even closer now, looking concerned. “Master,” she cautioned out of habit.

A glance and warm smile from her charge assured all was well. Renata  observed, before she became satisfied. After hundreds of years of observation, she neither needed to be an empath nor a telepath to see no one here meant Aro or the others any harm.  Again, Aro smiled, reassuringly.  As did she; however, still, she did not let her guard up for a second.

            “This is Renata,” Aro introduced, “my personal bodyguard.”

            “She’s so beautiful …” one of the newborns whispered in awe.

Taken, Renata smiled shyly. “Thank you,” she said softly. Had she still been human, she would have blushed.

            “She cares for you,” Shera observed.

“A little too much,” Aro said, smiling at her.

By now, Renata would have blushed even redder. Aro took the newborn’s hand, relieved she did not reveal just how much he relied on Renata, or how deep his feelings went for her. Upon hearing Shera’s thoughts, he was delighted to sense she felt that Renata returned them, but his bodyguard was too shy and professional to say, but then Aro thought to himself, were Renata’s feelings for him truly genuine? Or did she feel she had to love her master due to Chelsea’s bond?  After all he had ordered Chelsea to bind her to him almost eight-hundred years ago. That thought saddened him, but for now, he concentrated on the matter at hand.

“That is an incredible gift you have, little one,” he said, bending down a little.

“Thank you,” Shera said, sadness in her eyes.  “Everyone thinks I’m a freak.”

Gently Aro touched her face, where a tear would have fallen had she still been human.  “They used to think the same of me.”

Shera looked up in amazement.  You?…

            “Well I looked very different from my human family, much less tanned…I was never ‘into’ the things they were. Food, shallow women, arse-kissing upper society.”

Quite a few stifled sounds came from those gathered. Today, (and for the better part of three centuries) Aro had been the utmost of the upper class in vampire society, “and,” he continued, “being a telepath, I was the odd one out. I never told them, but they suspected something. I always seemed to ‘know too much.’ It boiled down to fear and jealousy…but still, it hurt.”

One did not have to be a telepath or an empath to see, in many ways, he still did.

            “And look where you are now,” Shera said, sensing Aro’s self-esteem, still quite fragile, despite his power-base and prestige.

The Volturi leader smiled.  “I’m rather proud of my ‘new’ family…” he said, “Well, not really new…They’ve been my family for much longer than my human one.”

 

            “They’re so regal,” whispered Carly, of the newborns standing at the back.  “The one in the black robe…Aro…he must be like two hundred years old or something.”

“No, remember how Carlisle said he was much older than him?” Leuke

Reminded her.  “And Carlisle told us he’s over three-hundred!”

“Oh yes, that’s right. Do you suppose Aro’s like five hundred?”

            “Maybe,” Leuke said, “but look at his gorgeous clothes, they’re so intricate…He might be six or seven hundred even.”

Caius scoffed. Aro laughed, then smirked.

            “Oh!” Leuke gasped, surprised and embarassed, he’d heard them all the way back there, still getting used to the acuity of vampire senses.  “Sorry…” she said cringed ing, “Five hundred?…” she offered with an appeasing smile.

Caius harrumphed a little louder.

Aro laughed, a shrill, delicate sound.  “Oh, nowhere near that,” he said, casually, taking cheeky delight in her discomfort. “Four thousand, actually,” he added, with a smile.

The newborns stared dumbfounded some gasped.

“And you’re all still so beautiful?!” Carly exclaimed, despite herself.

A smile almost curled up the corners or Caius’ mouth.  Almost.

Aro’s smile, however, broadened and his eyes sparkled. “Why thank you!” he said, swishing his black and red-lined robe slightly.  “You’re too kind.”

            “Four thousand?” Edward said, raising an eyebrow.

Aro chuckled. “Oh all right then,” he gave in.  “Three thousand, three hundred and twelve. You see? Even vampires lie about our age.” His eyes twinkled and he winked and with his robe, made a classic ‘Dracula’ pose.

Some newborns giggled. Edward shook his head, then smiled. As did Renata. Caius gave his brother a look and despite his stoic reputation, gave a smile, albeit a very small one. Only someone who knew him well would have noticed at all. His brother did indeed have a way with people.

 

 

            Meanwhile, the guard Aro had sent were now closing in on their enemies, encircling them and trapping them in the surrounding forest.  Demetri gave a silent signal to Raglan and Sofia to circle right. The sisters nodded and obeyed.

 

 

One of the younger newborns approached. Renata watched her very closely, then allowed her to. Through centuries of experience, she understood that this young one meant her charge no harm. The young vampire softly tugged on her robe. “Your master’s name is very interesting,” she said.

Aro realised she was too shy to speak to him directly.  “Why thank you,” he said, smiling at her.

“If you don’t mind me asking,” she asked softly, “how do you spell it?  Is it ‘arrow,’ as in Robin Hood? Sorry…”

Aro chuckled, delighted by the newborn. “Not at all,” he said. “A good amount of curiosity is healthy.”

Further back, Caius rolled his eyes.  In his opinion his older brother was far too curious.

            “It’s spelt A-R-O,” he explained.  “It’s ancient Hebrew meaning light, bright and also mountain of strength.”

Caius almost groaned.  Aro just loved to add the mountain-of-strength part.

            “Oh. It’s lovely.”

            “Thank you.” Aro beamed.  “My brother here is Caius.”

            “Hello,” another said, shyly.  They were further back and would not have heard her had they been human.  The platinum blond ancient acknowledged her with a glance. 

“Caius looks very young,” she observed.

Aro chuckled.  “Looks can be deceiving. He’s one year shy of 3000.  He is, however, my youngest brother.” The Volturi leader smiled affectionately.

Caius shot him a disapproving look, disliking it intently when Aro spoke of him as the ‘baby’ of the family.

“Wow…” the newborn said.  “You look around nineteen.”

“Very astute, young one,” Caius said.  “It was at that age at which I was turned.”

Aro smiled as the newborn looked at him once more.  “My, my, you’re curious, aren’t you? All right. I was thirty-nine when I was turned; Marcus, back at our Palazzo, was turned at age fifty-two. However in ‘vampire’ years, he is younger than myself, but only by around two-hundred and fifty years.”

“Wow … I’m still getting my head around the ‘only two hundred and fifty years’ part.”

            “It’ll get easier,” Carlisle promised.  “I told you I was only three-hundred and seventy-two,” he added with a smile.

            “Ah! Barely but a babe,” Aro sighed, clapping his hands together.

Carlisle chuckled and would have blushed. Half the newborns seemed surprised, the other half beginning to get used to vampire whys and wherefores.  Despite being almost three thousand years older than Carlisle, Aro was himself quite childlike.  The Volturi leader chuckled to himself.

Carlisle offered his hand.  “Aro…”

“When last we met, circumstances were a little…how should we say … tense. And I am sorry for that.”

Carlisle offered Aro his hand, and allowed him to sense.  A moment later, the ancient gently embraced him. Edward sensed just how relieved he was that he and Shera were the only two who knew how deeply heartened he was to find Carlisle safe and sound and how much it would have pained him had the situation turned for the worse. Deeply touched, the doctor also saw this in Aro’s longing vermillion eyes as he returned the embrace.

“Didn’t Carlisle say Volturi were ruthless?” Diego muttered under his breath to another of the newborns, “and they’re huggin’ like hippies …”

Cauis grunted in agreement with the newborn and hoped they did not get the wrong impression.

 

Aro didn’t let on he’d heard Diego as he and Carlisle parted, while Demetri and the rest of the guard returned with their struggling prisoners. Gently, Aro squeezed Carlisle’s hand, before gracefully moving across the field to greet them.


 

Chapter 6

 

 

“Ah! Demetri,” Aro addressed, pleasantly. “I see you and your party have apprehended the culprits.”

Stefan and Vladimir were forced to their knees, while other members of the guard held Gerta and Nicolae fast.

“The other accomplice?” Aro inquired.

“Gregor,” Raglan informed him, “Destroyed.” Her eyes blazed.

Aro nodded, then became concerned.  “We are missing one of our own,” he observed; never missing  detail as his eyes scanned the party. “Sofia. Where is she?”

Raglan’s eyes became sad now, though heartened Aro had noticed and called her by name. “My sister sacrificed herself,” she said softly.  “They would have escaped otherwise and tried another day to harm us.”

            Aro placed his hand upon Raglan’s shoulder.  “I am so very sorry,” he said, then took her hand.  Those who knew him well, understood he was sensing if Raglan’s loss would affect her usefulness, or in anger, if she would turn on the Volturi. She and her sister were transient members, however both fiercely loyal. Those who knew Aro well also knew he took her hand in sympathy.  Satisfied her grief posed no threat, he released her hand and placed his hand upon her shoulder for support.

            “Master,” Raglan looked into Aro’s deep, crimson eyes.  “With your permission, I would like, if I can, to become ‘vegetarian,’ as Sofia was, to honour her memory.”

            “Granted, Raglan, if you are able,” Aro said, then softened his voice.  “I am so sorry for your loss. For our loss.”

            “She did her duty,” the other said proud. “However, I shall miss her terribly request permission to have time to mourn for her.”

            “Of course,” Aro promised. “Granted. Take as long as you need.”

            “Grazie, master,” Raglan whispered. “I am honoured.”

Aro approached the struggling woman and squeezed her hand so tight it began to crack.

            “Your reign will one day come to a blazing end, Volturi!” Gerta screamed.

            “Such a pity,” Aro said softly, “your power to curb the powers of others would have been useful.  It was she who clouded and slowed Alice’s visions,” he announced for the benefit of the others.

            “If you think I will join you!” She spat upon the ground.

Aro eyed her distastefully.  “Not at all, madam. Your allegiance is apparent.” Through his telepathic link, he had sensed her love for Stefan.  “The Romanian Coven was not so different in how they ruled. If the recent turn of events has taught us anything, not all is as it seems. And through the centuries we have seen power come and go, but remains with those who use it wisely.”

The Romanians scoffed.  At the flick of Aro’s fingers, Felix and Demetri approached. Gerta’s mouth curled. Aro gave Raglan the nod.  With a vicious twist, she tore off the other’s head and crushed her spine underfoot as her body thudded to the ground. Stefan winced, then his eyes blazed at Aro, while other two guard members dealt with Nicolae.

            “Happy now, Felix?” Aro said with a smile.  “See? You did get to kill something after all.”

The hulking Volturi guard member half grunted, half smiled, half angry at his master’s jest, half smirking.

 

 

The Romanians, despite their impending fate, seemed impressed with Aro’s compassion for a member of his transient guard, considered expendable, and his insights.  Despite knowing what was to happen to them, they refused to give the Volturi the satisfaction of showing their fear. The condemned glared up at Aro, faces full of hate and disgust.

            “So you finally finish what you started …” Stefan spat.

Vladimir glared at his enemy, struggling to hide his fear.

            “You know,” Aro said, looking down at them with a smile.  “At first, I was actually content to let you both live, despite being a thorn in my side for over one thousand, five hundred years. I could have sent the guard to eliminate you at any time. Oh, even despite the fact that when last we met in Forks last year, you’d have liked nothing more than to see me killed … Even beg for my life.” Aro added with a smirk, swaying back and forth.

Stefan grunted, then managed a smile back.  “That would have a most welcome sight.”

Caius lips curled into a snarl.  “You are hardly in the position to-“

“It is not as if you’re going to let us off with a warning and a slap on the wrist now, is it?” Stefan growled.

Aro chuckled, then looked deadpan.

“You can hardly blame us from wanting to see you squirm,” Stefan said, eyes full of hate, burning into Aro’s.  “You burned our castles, decimated most of our coven, in a way we thank you for you opened our eyes to the monsters we had become. At least if I can say anything for you, Aro, unlike us you do not torture your human victims.”

“Nor do we keep slaves, as you once did,” Caius added for the benefit of the newborns.

 “What more can you do to us?” Stefan asked, instantly wishing he’d kept silent.

Aro’s smiled broadened.  “You really shouldn’t have asked,” he said pleasantly.  “Jane.”

Stefan caught his fear, but not before Aro tasted it upon the air. The petite Volturi guard member approached, a smile tugging at her lips, her cruel eyes sparkling with delight, anticipating.  “A pleasure, Master,” then she addressed the prisoners with a smile. “Don’t worry. It’ll all be over soon.”  And she began.

The Romanians, one after the other, struggled to keep from screaming, their faces contorting in excruciating pain, throats pulled taut. Despite himself, Stefan yelled out and despised himself and Jane all the more for it. Vlad clutched the ground, ripping way beyond the roots of the grass, feeling as though his head was spontaneously combusting whilst being ripped inside out.

A glance from Aro told Jane to stop. And she did in an instant, disappointment apparent in her face, feeling she hadn’t been allowed to play long enough.

“I guess I cannot blame either of you,” Aro said truthfully.  “I regretted destroying your ancient castles. They were beautiful. In retrospect, perhaps they and the art within could have been saved.”

“Well it is more than a bit late for that,” Stefan spat.  “Although at least you care for something, Aro.”

The Volturi leader glared down at him.  “You act as if your coven’s rule was benign. Let us not forget, Stefan, you and Vladimir had been considering following in Vigeous and Marinus’ footsteps to enslave the entire human race. You advertised to the humans to attack your coven. Hundreds upon hundreds were slaughtered; those who survived were either eaten or enslaved and forced to perform for your amusement. You pitted brother against brother, forcing them to fight. The Volturi have only ever taken humans for food.  More and more humans were becoming aware of our kind thanks to you. It was a matter of our kind’s survival. When it boils down, to it, I-”

            “Get on with it, Aro,” Caius interrupted.  “Let us be done with this and return home.”

            Edward sensed Aro’s history lesson was for the benefit of the newborns and to help the image of his own coven.

            “Yes.  Finish it,” Stefan demanded, face taut with hate, fear and apprehension, preferring the inevitable fate come sooner rather then later.

            “All right,” Aro agreed, “but first, it is not I who have been wronged here.  Carlisle…”

Dreading this, the Doctor approached.  Worried now, Edward followed.

            “By our laws,” Aro said, “It is Carlisle whom you have most egregiously and deeply wronged and it is to him whom I must give first execution rights.”

            “At least you stick to your laws, Aro,” Stefan said. “If I must respect you for two things, that is one of them.”

            “And the other?” Aro asked, with a curious smile.

            “That I will take that to my grave, so to speak and keep you guessing for eternity. At least I will have that satisfaction.”

Aro stepped aside as his friend approached.

            No, Carlisle,” Edward cautioned.  “Despite what they did, you’ve never taken a life, and-”

Carlisle held up a hand.  “Edward.  I must do this.”  The Doctor glared at the condemned.

            “You do not have it in you,” Stefan sneered.

            “Look at them,” Carlisle said softly.  When they did not respond, he spoke louder. “Look at them.  LOOK AT THEM!!!”  The Doctor’s roar startled those around him, even the Volturi who knew him to be gentle and mild mannered. However, all understood the core of his rage. “Did any of them deserve this?” he continued, sadly. “You did this just to get me, my family, to harm the Volturi. I can understand your hatred for them, but where does revenge end? Does it ever? Your selfishness disgusts me. I had no part of your longstanding feud with the Volturi or theirs with you.” Once again, he indicated the newborns. “Look at their innocence ...” he urged. Had he been human, tears would have fallen.   “Did they deserve to be taken from their lives, their families, their homes?  Or did you not think of that?”

Stefan and Vladimir downcast their crimson eyes, their actions sinking in.  Carlisle raised a hand.

            “Father, no…” Edward urged, desperately.  “You’re beyond angry and rightfully so, but you will never forgive yourself if you do this. Trust me. I know.”

            “Edward’s right,” Aro said, feeling afraid for his friend.  “Let us.”

Carlisle backhanded both Romanians with such force, their cheeks cracked, before they repaired themselves.  As they recovered, Carlisle punched Stefan in the face, cracking his cheek bone, before he stood back, rubbing his hand.  “I think I can forgive myself for that.”

Both Edward and Aro smiled, the younger impressed Carlisle had managed to mask his true intentions, again teaching him a valuable lesson for which Edward respected his adopted father greatly.  With a heavy heart, Carlisle gestured to Aro and nodded sadly.  Stefan and Vlad knew their time had come.   With pitied and sorrowful glances, they looked toward Carlisle.

            “I am sorry,” he said. “There is nothing I can do for you now. You knew full well the consequences if you failed.  And if you succeeded, what then?  I will admit I believe the Volturi’s methods leave something to be desired; however, they have maintained discipline, peace and order in our world for centuries.  No, I do not condone all their actions, including the sacking of your castles, however, I believe Aro and the Volturi are capable of learning to use his power wisely.”

Stefan scoffed.  “I wish I had your confidence, Carlisle, if you think that power-hungry, egocentrical cazzo is even capable of that.”

            “I do,” Carlisle said.

Aro’s feelings, a mixture of anger and grief  with Stefan’s conviction, but also hope with Carlisle’s faith in him and respected his friend’s honesty, and he failed to hold back a smirk at Stefan’s Italian cussing.

“However,” Carlisle continued, ”nor do I condone your actions, your vendetta, robbing innocents of their human lives.  Were your fate up to me, I feel you have learned your lesson, but you know full well the Volturi do not offer second chances.”

With those final words, Carlisle stepped back as Caius approached, flanked by Felix and Demetri, the third Volturi Leader’s small feet barely leaving an impression on the dewed grass. A look of deep satisfaction upon his face and a chilling smile formed as he looked down upon his enemy.

“Be grateful you have survived this long,” he hissed. “Had your fates been left to me, you would not have lived to see the sixth century.”

Stefan closed his eyes, letting Caius’ words sink in. Death to an immortal. So abhorrent…and now the silver scythe stood poised to strike.

Briefly Vladimir held his brother’s hand.  With his free hand, he took hold of Carlisle’s. The Cullens at first alarmed that Stefan may hurt him at the last moment and were by their benevolent patriarch’s side in an instant, though Edward calmed them, sensing Stefan’s terror and despair.

 “Is it really true, Carlisle?” he asked in desperation.  “Is there an afterlife for us?”

            “I believe so,” the Doctor said.  “But I cannot be certain.  I believe there’s hope for everyone.”

Carlisle’s words gave them a ray of hope. Standing above him, Aro looked into Stefan’s saddened eyes, his enemy forlorn, finally defeated. Stefan saw Aro’s sparkle.

“Going to gloat now I suppose …” he growled in disgust.

            “No.  That would be rather tacky,” the Volturi leader said, “and I do not need to.”

Despite himself, Stefan flinched as he felt Aro’s hands under his chin. Slowly, the Volturi leader clasped his hands around his enemy’s throat.  The Romanian swallowed.  Aro smiled as he sensed … everything. His enemy’s despair, fear, relief, sorrow, pain, guilt … and…

            “Ah! So that’s the other thing …”

            “Damn you!” Stefan hissed, baring his fangs for the final time.

Softly, Aro chuckled.  “It was impressive, wasn’t it? How I began the Volturi – from nothing. Unlike you and Vlad, born into great wealth and royalty. I had nothing. Now I have everything.”

Edward sensed tat was not entirely true; Aro longed for and craved love; however he was hardly about to admit that, least of all to the enemy. Stefan’s own life flashed before his eyes and into Aro’s hands.

            “Stefan, Vladimir,” he said, “I am not sorry the Volturi took over your dictatorial reign but I am sorry for the pain I caused you.”

“At least that is something,” Stefan grunted.

“You were good enemies,” Aro said respectfully.  “But in the end, you knew it would come to this.”

Caius, rather relieved Aro did not choose melodrama, approached Vladimir; the condemned hoped with all his heart (what still remained of it) that Carlisle had been right and he would join his brother in the after world. A mixture of panic and relief flashed in his tired red eyes as Felix and Demetri wrenched his arms from his body. Caius, bearing his fangs, twisted off the Romanian’s head. The guard members threw Vladimir’s parts upon the mound of his former accomplices as Caius placed his head atop the pile of hard, shattered parts. Stefan’s only relief now, that he would not have long before he would join his brother and his beloved Gerta and he would not have to mourn for long.

He closed his eyes and said nothing as he felt Aro’s hands crush his jaw and throat, before severing  his head from his body. Alec and Afton twisted off his arms and placed them with his brother’s. Aro gazed into the glassy red eyes of the disembodied head before gently placing it next to Vladimir’s. Then, gently and respectfully, closed the lifeless eyes. Caius withdrew a silver fire-stick from within his robes. Where he kept it, save Caius himself, no one knew.  Slowly, he raised and ignited it. The parts burst into flames. From the vantage point of the newborns, Caius had purposely made it appear as though fire bolts had blasted from his hands and enjoyed the fear he tasted upon the wind. In spite of having no supernatural power of his own, this satisfied the ancient’s hunger for now.

 

            “Man, they some serious hippies…” one newborn said to Diego.

Diego stared, stunned at the blazing bonfire.


 

Chapter 7

 

 

Caius almost grinned.  Reputation intact.  “Well is that,” he said. “When one chapter ends, a new one begins.” He turned to the newborns.

The Cullens knew full well the public execution had mostly been for the benefit of the newborns.  After all, actions spoke louder than words.  Aro approached the new vampires once more.  No one spoke. Afraid, the newborns kept their distance.

            “I deeply apologise for causing distress,” Aro said. “But such egregious matters must be dealt with harshly and quickly.  Again, I am so very sorry this has happened to all of you and that you had to see that. I am most relieved Carlisle is alive and well and was able to help you all.  Please forgive the unpleasantness.  I do not wish for you to fear us.  We are not, have not and will never be dictators, despite what our enemies will tell you. The Volturi will not dictate to you how to live your lives or force you to live as we do. Nor do we expect you to worship or praise us or have images of us upon your person as human dictators have done and still do.  However, the law is of the utmost importance and is absolute.  It is for the protection of all our people, so we can all live in peace in this world. The humans fight amongst themselves enough and we do not want to attract unwanted attention to ourselves. Unlike the late Stefan’s Coven, who once considered enslaving humanity, as others of our kind sought to do in times long passed.  We, the Volturi, sought to remain ‘invisible’ to humankind and urged our people to do so for safety and protection for all our kind, although most of our people survive on human blood, many of us do not revel in taking their lives.”

Aro gestured toward his younger brother, sensing, by knowing him for so long, that he wished to speak.

“Vladimir, Stefan and the Romanian Coven were very old enemies of ours,” he explained.  “However, they were not terminated juts now due to our fifteen-hundred year feud, but of their blatant disregard for the law. It is fortunate that your presence did not attract attention and that Carlisle was able to assist you.”

The Cullens knew full well, ‘fortunate’ meant if they Carlisle had not been able to subdue them, they would’ve joined the Romanians by now.

            “Sir…uhh, Lord?” one of the newborns began.

Caius actually smiled now. So did Aro.  Carlisle tried not to, but didn’t succeed as she continued, “Doctor Cullen more than just assisted us. He gave us all a purpose with our new lives. I’m going to study each and every human language, including the ancient ones, and that way I can help people in all different countries.”

            “I’ve always wanted to study horticulture,” another said.

            “Etymology and lexicography have always fascinated me,” Leuke admitted.

            “An extremely worthwhile endeavour,” Caius said, impressed. “You have done well with these newborns, Carlisle.”

Shera approached Aro and took his hand.  The eldest Volturi’s eyes showed he sensed her nervousness. Gently, he held her hand in both of his own.

            “I do not want you to have false or ‘sugar coated’ so to speak, views of us,” he said.

            “Thank you,” Shera said softly.  “I deeply respect your honesty and I will be honoured to join you, Aro.”

He smiled warmly.  “Grazie,” he said, relieved.

            “I know my gifts can benefit you and the Volturi in more ways than one,” she said and without warning, she embraced him, startling him and Renata a little, before he chuckled, despite himself returning the embrace. Carlisle and the Cullens smiled to see Aro struggling a little in her ultra strong newborn grip. Renata relaxed as she saw the newborn release her master, seeing in Shera’s eyes, her affection for the older vampire, a deep longing to heal his saddened heart, though purely innocent.

 

            “Hippie executioners…” Diego muttered.  “What next?”

Despite himself, Aro smiled and turned to him near the back of the crowd, and then the newborn realised he’d heard. To Diego’s relief, Aro turned to Carlisle and addressed him.

            “Once again, I’m so very relieved you’re all right… and it looks like you’ve taken care of everything.”

            “Thank you, Carlisle, for saving us the trouble,” Caius said, albeit somewhat grudgingly, turning on his heel and returning to the stationed guard.

The Doctor did not receive, nor did he expect such thanks from the likes of Jane or Felix. He was surprised to receive thanks from Caius at all.

 

Aro began to walk with Carlisle away from the others. He gave Renata a look when she still would not let her guard down, then he smiled.  She gave him a small one back, but did not let up.

            “You know the law, Carlisle,” Aro said, “regarding an army of newborns.”

The Doctor now looked at Aro in horror.  “No Aro…”

            “I’m afraid the law is-“

            Aro, please…

            Carlisle, I cannot just abandon the law when it suits me. I am sorry.” Aro offered an apologetic smile.

            “But Aro… surely in this instance, I-“

The Volturi leader smiled.  Carlisle…”

“Please, Aro. No. I will beg if I must.”

Aro chucked.  “Oh, Carlisle, that won’t be necessary - and you of all our people full well know the law.”

            “But in this instance…Could you not make an exception?”

”If I began making exceptions, it would undermine our authority and we would be seen as hypocrites. No, Carlisle, I’m sorry.  You know when it comes to one who faces an army of newborns, you do know that we must-“

            The Doctor sighed.  “Yes…yes… you must…Honour me…” he muttered.

            “Yes.”

            “All right. Honour me…But please, Aro…” Carlisle’s eyes begged.

The Volturi leader chuckled.  “I’m afraid, Carlisle, that-”

            “Please Aro… please, please, please…no statue…”

The Volturi leader smiled and chuckled once more, spreading his palms.  “That’s the law, I’m afraid.”

Carlisle sighed, defeated. Again Aro smiled cheerily, placing his arm around the good Doctor.  “Do not worry, my friend.  We will do you credit.”

Carlisle sighed.  “I will hold you to that.”

 

            “Must we?” Caius hissed as Aro returned to his gathered guard.

            “Yes,” his older brother said.  “It is the law that we honour one who overcomes an army of newborns, or part thereof.”

            “You invented that law,” Caius said, “to honour Vigeous and Marinus.”

            “Yes. I believed they deserved at least that much.”

            “But Carlisle is hardly-“

            “So are we to abandon our laws when it suits us?”

Caius glared at Aro, insulted.  “Of course not. You know full well that would undermine our authority, we would lose credibility and our reputation would suffer.”

            “And we would be accused of hypocrisy,” Aro added.

Caius huffed , reluctantly agreeing.  “Very well, but still, I do not believe Carlisle Cullen deserving of such an honour and they still have yet to turn that human!” he hissed.

            “Yes, yes,” Aro said, waving off his brother’s annoyance.  “Her relationship with Edward is a very different one.”

            “It could prove dangerous to us, a human knowing so much, even more so now.”

            “He will turn her,” Aro assured. “I have seen it. And do not fret, dear brother.  She is so very much in love with him, she’s practically one of us already. She would never put him or the Cullens in danger.” 

Caius rolled his eyes, however after three millennia, knew full well how useless it was to argue with his brother once Aro’s mind was made up - on both counts now.

Aro looked at the pair wistfully.  “They’re practically Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde…”

            “Well let us hope for both their sakes and their families,” Caius said barely parting his lips, “their romances do not have such tragic endings.”

            “You care, Caius?” Aro raised an eyebrow.

His younger brother grunted softly. Although he had never experienced love, having lived for almost three centuries, he had seen the effects of its all alluring power; but what was the point of wishing for something he never thought he could have? Annoyed now and hiding his impassive face hiding his internal pain, he snapped at the guard to head back to Volterra.

 

Once more, Carlisle greeted the newborns and began to help them on their way. “My family will stay for a while and help you all,” he assured.

The majority of newborns had thanked him and already begun to leave, to embark upon their new lives.  Some had already begun to form new bonds, and some had decided to venture out themselves. A few lingered for a while, afraid, but a reassurance from Carlisle gave them new confidence.

 

 

The Volturi and Cullens filed back in to their vehicles, urgency over. Edward enjoyed the scenery on the return journey. Going had been a blur, even for a vampire. whooshing by too fast to appreciate and the last time he had been in Italy, the situation was just as dire. 

 

 

*   *   *



Chapter 8

 

Upon their return to Palazzo dei Priori, the usually aloof Rosalie ran to her father and grabbed him in a furious embrace. “Don’t you ever do that to us again!”

“That’s’ what I said,” Alice told her with a smile.

When Rose let go, Emmett hugger his father so hard, Aro was sure he’d broken something.

“Aro,” Esme asked, “may I please to use your telephone? I have to call the hospital.”

“Of course,” and he showed her to the secretary’s desk, the employee out to lunch.

 

 

“So good to see you both again!’ Aro smiled, coming to Edward and Bella. “Forgive me for not giving you a proper greeting previously. We were all understandably so very worried for Carlisle.”

He held out his hand. Bella gave hers.  She saw in Aro’s eyes he still could not sense anything, to his annoyance, but also his intrigue.

“The date’s set,” she said, a little louder.

She knew Cauis heard, although he paid her no heed, just like an arrogant royal, walking briskly by, his robe cutting the air. He motioned and three members of guard followed him down the corridor. Apparently, a set date was not good enough for Caius, but neither Bella nor Edward cared.  Aro was convinced and that was good enough for them. Edward, confident the Volturi would not harm his love.

Aro smiled.  “Ah, young love … so beautiful …”

The eldest Cullen sensed his longing, also his hoping that Bella’s transformation be a success - so did he; some humans were not compatible with the transformation, like Aro’s once love Amba.  Edward would never forgive himself and once again return to Volterra and ask for the Volturi to take his life should that be the case, however Alice had seen it; he only wished he had her vision. Edward sensed the Volturi’s worry about the ordeal, but also his blissful, childlike romantic side, so much wanting for himself one of those rare happy endings he loved so much. Edward also sensed the older vampire still desired to include himself, Alice and now Bella into his guard, but for now he was happy all was well.

Bella had been heartened to hear the amazing story of Carlisle’s survival, his patience and that none of the newborns had to be killed. Her respect for Aro edged up a notch.

 

            “Previously, I had Marina, our secretary, check the weather in Forks,” Aro said. “It’s amazing isn’t it, how nowadays, one can check things on the other side of the world at the touch of a button,” he chuckled. “Good news. There’s a thunderstorm forecast in around a fortnight. Marina,” he turned to the Volturi’s new secretary. “update our Facebook page will you?”

            “Facebook?” Bella’s eyes widened.

            “Who brought the Volturi into the twenty-first century?” Rosalie asked, her expression sour.

“My dear, are you forgetting I’m a telepath? And the Volturi wouldn’t even be here if we didn’t keep abreast of the times now would we? I make it our business to be aware of all that goes on around us and the last techno-fair we attended a month ago was both entertaining and informative and some very interesting developments are ahead. We like to keep well ahead of things. We knew of the internet twenty years before it was made public.”

            “But Facebook?” Jasper inquired. “Isn’t that a little too out-there?”

Aro chucked.  “You think we use the same internet as the humans? Also, of course we are under assumed names.” He showed them the secretary’s computer. 

Edward touched his hand.  ~Don’t kill this one~ he urged.  ~She adores all of you all, especially Marcus.~

Aro chucked as he pointed to the Volturen’s Facebook page.  Of which the status now read.  ‘Arion, Cassius, Marc and the Children: Home.’

“Master Marcus,” Marina called, “I have procured that ancient text you wanted.”

The Cullens had never seen Marcus perk up the way he did and Edward sensed it was not just for the book.

“Where on earth did you find it?,” the older leader asked, impressed.

“eBay. Five million, seven-hundred and twenty dollars American.”

Bella almost fell over. None of the Volturi batted an eyelid.

“I shall transfer the funds into their account momentarily.” Marcus said.  “Have it couriered over.”

“Yes, sir,”

“Marcus,” he said with a smile.

“It seems quite inexpensive for such a rare manuscript,” Cauis said, returning, flanked by Felix and Demetri. “Are you sure it is genuine?”

Cheap? Bella mused.  Five million and something? She felt dizzy.

“Yes, Master Caius. It clearly shows the watermark Marcus and yourself mentioned. The seller is moving to from America to Greece and wants the book to go a ‘a good home.’”

Aro chuckled and it was Caius’ turn to be impressed with her findings.

“This one has quite a gift,” Aro said, smiling at Marina. “So far she’s found several rare books and artefacts that we’ve searched for over five centuries.”

Edward saw Caius clench his fangs. Even the human secretary had a special power. Marcus took her hand and glanced at his younger brother, Edward had never seen Marcus’ eyes flash as they did right now and Caius understood clearly; she was not to be harmed.  Again, he gave a start as he felt a hand take his. Once again, it was Shera. Once more he was inwardly annoyed at how she was able to approach through the strongest guard members, including Demetri who would have sensed her mind and how her feet appeared to make no sound upon the stone floor. He mused the guard would have known had she intended him harm.

“Master Caius,” she said, her soft voice having an instant calming effect, “I would very much love to learn Latin and other ancient languages and be very honoured and hoped you would teach me.” She said, hoping to be the one to melt that ancient rock-hard glacier. And help Caius realise he could love and be loved without losing anything.

“Yes,” Caius said, his tone quipped. “Always impressive is one who wishes to learn the ancient ways.” He did not let on how impressed he was, nor this strange tingling sensation, perhaps as a newborn, she was holding his hand too hard; though try as he might to convince himself; he knew that was not it.

            Edward watched Caius face soften ever so slightly and he smiled as he turned to his own love, Bella. Aro smiled watching his brother, then returned his gaze to the Cullens, sensing his youngest brother did not wish audience.

“I hope you can get back to your baseball game,” Aro said.  “I feel I must apologise for keeping you.”

            “You didn’t take Carlisle,” Alice said.

            “Yes, but still, I feel somewhat responsible. We were the reason the Romanians had him abducted.”

He felt both delighted and terrified when Alice took his hand. Terrified he’d sense revulsion, delighted she trusted him enough and hopeful he may see another of her visions. He relaxed when he sensed no revulsion, some pity, but also a deep knowing that all would be well with him and the Volturi should they not abuse their powers.

“If you don’t force me,” she said, “I’ll be happy to tell the Volturi of any visions I have of decisions you make that would end badly.”

Aro’s eyes both brightened and softened. “Thank you,” he said, heartened.

 

Renata watched Aro with the Cullens closely. Usually she’d never let anyone get that close to her beloved master, however, she trusted Carlisle implicitly and thus trusted his children; they were friends once more. All was forgiven. She smiled heartened; she’d been very worried for her master and her family when last they arrived in Forks, lest Aro choose revenge; heartened that he had not and he had toned down Caius’ rage.

Through almost nine centuries of experience, just by looking into someone’s eyes, she could usually tell his or her intent.  Her own eyes held some sadness as Aro held Alice’s hand; he seemed so enamoured by her and not only for her visions. She was very beautiful. Edward sensed the older Volturi’s grief, desperately craving a love of his own and pitied him, hoping Aro would discover someone to adore and cherish him, or her to discover him and hoped the Volturi leader would understand that he would not need to possess her.

 

            “I’ve called the hospital and told them all’s well,” Esme said, coming to them.  “An intern friend of yours shared our concern. I told him a patient of yours needed your urgent attention overseas I’ve cleared up the mess with Nicolae posing as a medical exchange student.”

“Thank you,” Carlisle said.

“The hospital’s asked you to take two months off.”

“They do not have to ask twice,” the Doctor said.  “I adore my patients, but they can survive without me for a while.  I need to be with my family.”

Lovingly, he and his beloved embraced. Aro, smiled sadly as he watched them.

            Carlisle smiled back.  “I take it you’re not going change your mind, Aro?” he said, to alleviate the sadness he’d seen in is friend’s eyes.

            “I’m afraid the law is the law.”

The leaders of both covens chuckled.

            “I hope you will stay a while,” Aro said.  “It is not often my friends come to visit.”

Carlisle smiled.  “All right, Aro,” he said, “for a fortnight or so.  I’ll have to see that damned statue.”

Aro’s chuckled, his face a mixture of sorrow and a smile.  “All right then,” he said.  “I am sure you will approve.”

Carlisle placed his hands on his hips.  “I had better.”

Aro chuckled and Renata watched, bemused. Carlisle had only ever been the one who dared speak to Aro in such a manner.

Aro tried to keep the sad thoughts from creeping back into his mind.  Only fourteen days, he thought. Barely but a blink for an Ancient. The decades Carlisle lived with the Volturi during the seventeenth century seemed to pass in a blink of an eye, but these few days, these few moments, Aro would deeply cherish.

“My family needs me to be with them now,” Carlisle said.  “The hospital and my patients will also need me for a time, but I’ll visit again very soon, Aro, I promise.”  He did not need to be a telepath to sense how much Aro needed him too.

            “Perhaps we could come to visit you?” Aro offered.” This time on more… friendly terms.” He smiled sadly.  “Perhaps during a thunderstorm? You could teach us baseball.”

Carlisle laughed.  “That would be lovely.”

In the background, Caius, the guard and the other Cullens looked horrified.  Aro and Carlisle were actually being serious.

As if sensing Aro wanted to talk to him in private, Carlisle said.  “Come, show me the artefacts you’ve acquired since we parted company.”

Aro looked grateful for his friend’s natural intuition as he lead Carlisle into one of the Volturi’s many display galleries. Gently the Doctor took Aro’s hand and the other sensed his thoughts.

            ~It’s all right, my friend. I know you’re lonely and things have not been all that smooth between us of late.~

            “I am to blame for that,” Aro said. “When you left us, I regretted teasing and ridiculing your views and when you parted company with us, I missed your insights - and still, I wasn’t supportive of your views”

Carlisle smiled.  Don’t be too hard on yourself.  You never forced me to ‘eat meat’ so to speak and with your jesting, you were not being cruel, you were genuinely concerned for my wellbeing.”

            “Is that why you left?” Aro was not sure he wanted an answer. “Was it to do with the immortal children we tried to save…” Aro shook his head sadly.

            “No, Aro. You and I worked around the clock for two years and discovered nothing could be done. I am grateful you spared me when Caius had them killed. I can only hope all their spirits found their way hone.”

            “That’s one thing I adore about you, Carlisle, you have the most unique insights of anyone I’ve never known.”

            Carlisle smiled.  “To answer your question, Aro. No. I left as I needed to find myself, the meaning of my new vampire life, what I wanted to do with the gift of eternity.  And I knew I wanted to help people. A great deal of who I am today I owe to you, Aro.”

            “To me, Carlisle? I am hardly a role model.” Aro shifted his feet a little.

The Doctor chuckled softly.  Don’t be too modest. You taught me we did not have to be savages. It was through you I learned to appreciate the finer things in life, to realise it was all right to indulge in luxury. You taught me to really, truly appreciate fine art; music and you taught me how to dance. Remember how terrible I was?”

Gods, yes!” Aro smirked, his eyes flashing back to that happy memory.  That I had to do something about.”

Both friends shared a chuckle, reminiscing.

“You were very patient with me finding my way, with my two left feet.”

“And soon, Carlisle, you were dancing so elegantly, I was so proud of you. Even Caius had to grudgingly admit how far you’d come.”

“I had a wonderful teacher who was very patient. There was a time when I didn’t know a Botticelli from a Rembrandt.”

Aro chuckled.  “You have indeed come a long way, Carlisle. I am honoured and proud to have one such as you as a friend and to have regained that friendship.”

            And I you, Aro.”

The Volturi Leader gave a shy smile as he sensed once more, Carlisle’s memories of how intrigued he had been by Aro’s manner, his chipper nature, peppiness, a refreshing change from the humans and vampires he’d encountered and the fine world Aro had introduced him to.

“And you, Carlisle, you taught me a great deal about compassion, that I wasn’t half the monster I thought I was.”

“I told you a monster would not feel sorry for his victims.”

“I have never met one even remotely like you; you are, Carlisle Cullen, unique.”

“As are you.  Aro. In all my travels, I have never met one quite so as you. I never had the chance to apologise to you.”

            Aro’s brow creased delicately.  “What on Earth for?”

            “Never keeping in contact.  At first I thought it best we go our separate ways as I wanted to start anew.”

            “And you thought I would try and convince you otherwise, be too much of an influence?”

            “That was part of it, but I also wanted to forge my own path and see where it took me on my own merits.”

“I often wondered why you did not use your status as a ex-Volturi  leader. Again, you surprised me, Carlisle.”

“I am so sorry, Aro; I never realised how deeply I hurt you.  I should have remained in contact.”

            “All’s forgiven, my dear Carlisle.  I had always hoped you were well.  I thought about you often. I knew you did not intend to hurt me. I am to blame as well. I could have set out to find you and set Demetri on your trail, but I did not as I didn’t want you to think I would impose our ways onto you.  It was beyond a delight to hear your son’s thoughts the first time I met him and it is I who should apologize not only for our encounter over Renesmee, but for the misgivings with that newborn army your family was forced to fight. I was most upset with the guard for not dealing with it immediately and regret the newborn they killed; for she had not broken any laws. Had I been there, I would have allowed you to look after young Bree.”

Carlisle smiled warmly.

“Perhaps we were both in error in becoming so estranged.”

“Better late than never?” The Doctor offered a smile.

Aro chuckled.  “I’ve missed you, Carlisle.”

            “And I you, Aro Volturi.”

Gently, the two friends embraced.

“You also mentioned a vampire living on pranic energy,” Aro said, intrigued, prompting.

“Gerta mentioned him in conversation to Stefan, who told me I’d been outdone.”

He shared a smile with Aro. Carlisle knew the other had already sensed his thoughts, however the elder vampire was so astounded, Carlisle reiterated them. “She said that took him over a thousand years of discipline and he has never drunk a single drop of blood, animal or otherwise, He lives on Universal energy alone.”

“It is so very heartening to hear of another old friend doing so well. I would very much like to visit him with you.”

“You know Rinpoche Jamparra?”

“Two thousand years ago, my brothers, our guard and I came to his temple high in the mountains. We wondered how on Earth humans could have come up here, even as vampires, it was not easy and we could not use our powers, lest we be discovered. We’d gotten word of a powerful elixir that would make vampires invincible; truly immortal. This turned out to be false, or so we understood at the time. We were disappointed, however, older and wiser I now understand through your thoughts, Carlisle,” Aro chuckled to himself. “Astounding…that ‘elixir’ is universal energy, prana…love. Obviously no easy feat to obtain. Jamparra led us inside. He knew what we were and all he said was, ‘please, take me, but spare my students.’ I took his hand, almost overwhelmed by his wisdom and compassion; he was sixty-five human years, he looked twenty years younger and more thoughts than a thousand year old vampire. He sensed that if I sensed all of his thoughts, they would destroy me, so he blocked them to protect me. He saw me as a child; at frist I was annoyed, but I saw gentleness in his eyes, the love. He was an extraordinary man. Despite knowing full well that I could kill him and order my guard to kill his students, I sensed he had the power to destroy me and my company in an instant. I sensed he would never harm another, not even those such as us. I could not bring myself to kill him; though bound by the law, apologetically, I turned him; he understood and respected my decision and went into deep seclusion, so as not to harm those he cherished and I have always respected him deeply. That is the last I had heard of him until now, thank you my friend. This day has turned out to be one full of wonder. I would be honoured to make that pilgrimage to Jamparra’s temple with you.” The prospect of a trek with Carlisle appealed to Aro very much, as well as becoming reacquainted with another dear friend, who could teach vampires how to overcome their need for blood entirely.

“And I’d be honoured for you to accompany me,” Carlisle said. “I am also humbled by the thought of Master Jamparra.”

A twinge of pain washed over Aro; here was one who deserved to be called ‘master.’ Carlisle took his friend’s hand, reassuring him, although over two-thousand, nine-hundred years younger, Carlisle understood his friend needed more time to mature into the vampire world leader he was destined to be and for the time being, he needed to revel in being called ‘master’ for it made him feel loved.  And for some reason, Carlisle, even without Edward’s gift, sensed Aro would attain a pranic state before he. Aro sensed Carlisle’s thoughts here, doubting that was possible and was also astounded to sense that Carlisle was happy for him; not one thought of jealousy; this Aro would have to grow into and he gratefully, though not without trepidation, accepted the gauntlet life had thrown at his feet.

 “Aro, I may not be a telepath,” Carlisle said, sensing the Volturi leader needed a confidence booster, “however I am a father, and I can see it. Your family…you don’t realise how much they love you.”

            “Love, Carlisle? They love me because I practically order them to. And my brothers? Marcus has lost the desire to love…and I know I must make that up to him. And Caius? He is incapable of love.”

            “You sure about that? I may not have your senses, Aro, It seems you’re the only person he actually does love, albeit in his own way. And Marcus, he will find love again.”

Aro smiled sadly.  “Perhaps. But my guard? They love me in their own way too?”

            “I can see in their eyes they see you as a father, especially Jane and Alec.”

Carlisle, I trust I can confide you, you and I both know if had not been for my guard’s powers…”

“It may have started out that way, Aro, but you are a family now. Especially with Renata, there’s something more.”

Aro shook his head.  ~Shera sensed something…but Renata is ordered to protect me and follow my orders, as they all are.”

            “You’re entirely sure about that, Aro, that that’s all it is? Perhaps you can make the first move. Renata would never allow herself to.” Carlisle smiled reassuringly. Warmly, Aro returned the smile and gently squeezed his hand.

            “You are indeed a comfort to a heavy heart. Grazie, my friend.”

            “Prego,” Carlisle said, as he and Aro returned, the Doctor’s confident look, wishing he knew just how Renata truly felt. He could but just touch her hand and sense; however, he felt that intruding, intimidating and felt to abuse his power in such a manner would lose her trust, though he became troubled as to how he would discover. Seeing the worry in Aro’s eyes, Carlisle gently touched his hand.  ~Just trust, my friend and let it unfold.~

 


Chapter 9

 

Two weeks later, now, Carlisle and his family walked with Aro, his brothers, and the guard to the unveiling. The Volturi leader removed the delicate silken cover and let it flutter elegantly to the floor.

“So…” Aro prompted excitedly. “Does it meet with your approval?”

Carlisle stared. “It’s…it’s lovely, Aro thank you.

The first Volturi Leader knew his friend well enough to understand that the Doctor referred to the feeling behind the statue, rather than the statue itself and he chuckled. “I knew you’d like it.  I had them redo the face three times.”

            “Aro…” Caius scowled

            “It is lovely,” Esme said, taking in the grey marble statue of her husband, cradling the newborn woman in his arms.

            “You’ve really outdone yourself this time, Aro,” Edward approved.

The Volturi Leader smiled. “Well the stonemason made the statue. I may admire art, but I…”

            “You are being too modest, Master,” Renata said.  “You know he-“

Upon Aro’s horrified look, she stopped.

            “Yes,” Marcus agreed, bailing Renata out. “If you were to see some of my brother’s sketches and paintings…”

            “Oh! No-no-no-no-no…” Aro exclaimed, shaking his head emphatically, waving his hands, looking mortified.

            “You are being too modest,” Shera said, sensing.  “Uhm, master?…”

Aro chuckled nervously, feeling a little sheepish.  Renata smiled and took Shera’s hand.

            “You’re gonna be great friends,” Edward said, sensing.

            “I know,” Renata said, smiling.

            “I thought I was the seer,” Alice chuckled.

Aro laughed softly.  “Renata will show Shera the ropes so to speak, but I’ve a feeling she’ll settle in well.”  He smiled at the newest member of his guard. Edward sensed Aro’s thoughts of Shera as an addition to his family, rather than just an acquisition of more power. He sensed Aro saw the guard as his children and loved them deeply, even if he did indulge in the whole ‘Master.’ thing. One of his guard, however, Aro loved much more deeply. Edward sensed she was terrified that Aro would admonish her to discover how she felt for him. He also sensed Aro’s relief the subject had been changed, away from his artwork, but the eldest Cullen wasn’t going to let him off the hook that easily.

            ”I’ve never known you to be modest, Aro” Edward said, raising an eyebrow.

            “First time for everything,” The Volturi Leader offered a smile.  “Perhaps, someday I shall present my works.”

            “It is about time, Master,” Renata said.  “Especially the ones of Tuscany, the hills, ancient cobbled streets, the watercolour of our home. They’re gorgeous.

            Renata…” Aro’s eyes widened, then, “You really think so?” He perked up.

“Absolutely.”

Aro beamed.  “I didn’t even know you’d seen them… You’ve never said anything.”

“You were so very private about them, but, Master, they are lovely. Why don’t you give Carlisle the one you painted for him?”

“Oh, please Renata…No…

She simply smiled.  Edward sensed Renata’s confidence and he enjoyed Aro’s discomfort, but only so much as it was getting to see a little more deeply into his real being and for this, Edward Cullen respected him a little more.

            “I will fetch it,” Demetri offered with a smile.

Aro let out a sigh of resignation. Even he couldn’t argue now.  Now Caius was silently enjoying his brother’s disquiet.

            “I’m very curious now too, Aro,” Carlisle said, “so I will have to stay until Demetri brings the painting.”

            “All right then,” Aro said, resigned, then he smiled. “Take your time, Demetri. Go there and back the long way around.  Through the cellars, then the courtyard and down the incredibly long corridor…”

            The guard tracker chuckled, shaking his head.  “Yes, Master.”

Carlisle chuckled softly; the hint of Aro wanting him to stay was not lost. Caius grunted ever so softly.

“I’ll return, Aro,” Carlisle promised, “Soon.  After I have spent some quality time with my family and attended to the hospital and my patient’s more urgent requirements and apologised for by abrupt departure. Esme told them I was called away urgently to treat a patient who had called for me especially, in Italy.”

Aro smiled.  In a sense that was the truth; he did need Carlisle. “Grazie,” he said softly, taking his friend’s hand. 

Caius disapproved of so much affection; however, said nothing, grateful for his brother’s happiness. Carlisle took Aro’s hand and through his telepathic bond, he urged Aro to talk to Renata while Demetri fetched the painting.  The Volturi leader looked nervous, although when he withdrew from Carlisle, he motioned Renata to walk with him.

            “Yes, master.”

 

“Thank you,” he said as he walked with her away from the others, grateful Renata had given him an opening.  “I would never have had the courage to show my paintings, let alone show Carlisle.”

She simply smiled.  “It is my duty to protect you in every way, master, including your pride.”

Aro smiled.  “Grazie, Renata. I don’t know what I’d do without your protection.”

            “It’s what you pay me for,” she said with a smile.

            “I don’t pay you.”

She chuckled.  “It is a good thing then, that I adore my job.”

            “I really don’t know what I’d do without you. I have Chelsea to thank I guess, she helped me find you.”

            “Master, again, you are being too modest. Chelsea’s powers have never had any effect upon me.”

            “You know about…”

            “I felt her try to bond me to you when you first discovered me in 1280.”

            “But you came without question and your uncle Luca knew it would be best not to provoke us.”

            “I also saw the sadness in your eyes, Master and it was those that bonded me to you.”

“Renata… I…I-”

            “Master?” the small elegant bodyguard prompted gently.  She seemed to sense what he wanted to say, but was too scared to; that which she was too scared to admit.

            “Renata, from now on… please, I want you to use my name.”

            Her eyes widened as his words sank in.  Master?

Gently, he took her hand.  “What did I say?” he asked with a smile.

He could not muster the courage to tell her; for which she was relieved; for nor had she the courage to admit it.

“Use my name,” he whispered into her ear.

            “Yes, master,” she whispered back, with a cheeky smile. “Aro,” she then said, her wide eyes innocent. Aro touched her face.

            Aro closed his eyes.  It was the very first time he’d heard her use his name and coming from her, it sounded like the voice of an angel.

            “I remember you eyes were brown,” he said, “when you were human.”

            “What colour were yours?” Renata asked, curious, before she could stop herself.

            “Pale green,” he replied in a whisper, leaning forward. As his lips gently brushed her cheek, he sensed and held her close. Renata closed her eyes, placing her head upon his chest.  It was a start.

 

 

Aro... ” Carlisle started at the painting as Demetri handed it to him upon his and Renata’s return.

Edward sensed Aro’s severe discomfort, his absolute terror, insatiable need for approval and his incredibly fragile self-esteem. However if one had not been a telepath, one would never have even guessed to see Aro’s impassive face, enhanced with a pleasant smile, Renata close by to protect him in any and every way she could.

You painted this?” Carlisle asked.

            “Do … do you … like it?” Aro struggled to keep his voice from shaking, to sound blasé.

Edward sensed Aro’s terror deepen. The Volturi leader’s body tensed so hard that he felt it would crack and he would crumble. Even if the painting had been dreadful, Edward knew his father would never have the heart to hurt Aro’s fragile feelings and would pretend to adore it.

            “Like it, Aro? … It’s … its …”

If Aro hadn’t been that close to running away and bursting into tears, Edward would have found it funny as his father continued.

            “It’s beautiful … thank you …I …”

Edward sensed Aro relax, his nervousness ebb and sheer, utter relief, joy and euphoria rush in, both due to Aro’s own relief, subtly aided by Jasper, who had also taken pity upon him. Edward sensed he’d seen the pain behind the Volturi leader’s eyes. One would have to be a telepath, or deeply intuitive to have sensed anything at all. A trained professional, Aro’s his face remained impassive, until, that is, he smiled. One could see in the Doctor’s eyes just how much he adored the painting, as he and his family stared in awe at the gorgeous blue and golden rendition of their family’s crest. Carlisle handed it to Edward, before embracing his friend.

            “Grazie,” he said; there would have been tears in his eyes had he been human. 

Aro held back his.

            “Finally,” Caius hissed, very softly, albeit loud enough to be heard.

            “Don’t like your brother’s painting?” Edward asked, “or rather the subject matter?”

            “His rendition of the Cullen crest is admirable,” Caius said, ignoring Edward’s jibe, voicing his thoughts for the benefit of the non-telepaths.  “He painted our own in similar fashion. Yours, he painted first, I’ll add,” Caius said with some distaste, “however for the past two-hundred years, Aro has anguished whether he should he give it to him ‘…yes… no… absolutely! Demetri I need you to find…Wait…No absolutely not…Demetri, as you were…Maybe… Oh! Gods no! …Well maybe…No, no absolutely not, what if Carlisle hates it…’” Caius gestured to and fro, mimicking his brother’s accent. He shook his head, rolled his eyes, albeit a little affectionately.

Aro smiled bashfully. Demetri grunted a sigh, although also with a smile.

            “It’s gorgeous, Aro, thank you,” Carlisle said.  “I am sorry that I have nothing to give you in return.”

            “Regaining your friendship and insights are more than I could ever have hoped for.”

 “I’m glad,” Carlisle said, “because if I attempted to paint your family crest, well, let us just say I would be too scared to give it to you.”

Aro laughed, a gentle, shrill sound.  Cauis again, almost smiled.  Most of the guard didn’t bother to hide theirs. 

“Well if I ever have problems with my fangs,” Aro said, “I know who I can count on.”

Carlisle chuckled.  “Take care, Aro.”

            “I will, my friend. Yourself and your family as well.”

With mixed feelings, Aro watched the Cullens leave, Carlisle back to his family and medical duties and to their lives in their wilderness retreat in cloudy, remote, tree-lined Forks. He hoped it would not be too long before once again, his friends came to visit in ancient, cobbled-stoned, timeless Volterra.

 

As the Cullens began to leave, Caius eyed the statue of the Doctor, standing next to those of the ones before him, sent before an army of newborns.  Eight in total, Carlisle’s the latest in the line. Silently, Caius read the plaques of the five major ones.

 

‘VIGEOUS

Newborns faced:  37

Newborns Eliminated/Overcome: 16

Weapon(s) of Choice:  Broad Sword, Dagger

Method: Brute Force’

 

 

‘MARINUS

Newborns faced:  29

Newborns Eliminated/Overcome: 12

Weapon(s) of Choice:  2 Rapiers

Method: Brute Force’

 

 

‘VIKTOR

Newborns faced:  21

Newborns Eliminated/Overcome: 7

Weapon(s) of Choice:  None

Method: Brute Force’

 

 

‘TAIKI  KATASHI  SHIROU

Newborns faced:  42

Newborns Eliminated/Overcome: 14

Weapon(s) of Choice:  2 Samurai Swords

Method: Brute Force’

 

 

Then Caius’ vermillion eyes took in the latest addition.

 

 

CARLISLE CULLEN

Newborns Faced:  97

Newborns Eliminated/Overcome: 97

Weapon(s) of Choice:  None

Method: Kindness’

 

 

Aro came to stand beside his youngest brother, taking in Carlisle’s statue.

            “I respect your decision, Brother,” Caius voiced, albeit somewhat grudgingly. “However I still feel this honour misplaced here. Carlisle Cullen didn’t actually overcome any of the newborns.”

            “My dear brother,” Aro said, with a warm smile. “He overcame them all.”

            “But he did not eliminate any,” Caius hissed. ”Vigeous, Marinus, Viktor, Taiki fought newborn armies alone and they at least destroyed some.”

            “Did they survive?”

“Of course not,” Caius snapped, his obvious answer, one of indignation.

            “Perhaps, then, Brother,” Aro said, softly, “the only way to overcome an entire army of newborns alone is with kindness…”

 

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Italian words used:                                                                                                           

 

 

  “Grazie” ~ ‘thank you’  pronounced “gr-ah-t-zi” (short i)

  “Prego” ~ ‘my pleasure’  pronounced “pr-eh-go”

  “Piazza” ~ ‘place or square as in town square’ pronounced  “Pia-t-zza” (short a)

  “Palazzo” ~ ‘Palace’ - pronounced  “Pala-t-zo”

  “Cazzo” ~ ‘fuck’   ;)  pronounced  “c-ah-t-zo”  (Hard C as in “cat” )

 

 

If you’re curious ‘etymology’ is the study of the origins of words and phrases and why they mean what they mean and ‘lexicography,’ the art of crafting and writing dictionaries.

 

Seawave’s Cheeky Trivia:  Palazzo Comunale  (Communal Palace like a Town Hall) in Piazza Grande (Great square), Montepulciano, Italy is where the ‘Volterra Clock Tower’ scene in New Moon was actually filmed :) (They do real New Moon tours there too!) The Volterrans were upset about that, actually, wanting it to be filmed in the Volturi’s actual home town and had a petition on the Volterra’s tourist website.  http://www.volterra.net  (They also do 2 awesome Twilight tours in Volterra)  

 

http://www.turismo.intoscana.it/allthingstuscany/tuscanyarts/volterra-itinerary/

 

<http://www.newmoonofficialtour.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=54&lang=en>  This one is pricey, but looks to be the best as it is a 3 day tour.

 

<http://twilight-cupcake.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/twilight-trip-to-europe-tuscany-part-2.html>

 

Apparently the official behind-the-scenes story is that the Piazza of Volterra was too small for the 700 red cloaked extras plus the Saint Marcus Day parade.  Of course the real story is the Volturi denied them the filming permit in Volterra >;) though approved the shoot in Montepulciano ;) (Though not before Aro dined on a few of the Paparazzi >;) … (I’ve always thought ‘Paparazzi’ sounded like something that went on a pizza >;) … Hell, Aro probably owns the Montepulcianian Palazzo too.  He’s so rich, lol. Hey! What’s a Palazzo or three ;)  

 

 

By the by, the Volturi’s home, Palazzo dei Priori, means  Former Palace of the Gods.”  :)  And according to Aro, it still is ;)

 

 

 

* ~ * ~ *

 

 

Back to Twilight Page